Ender's Game 2017 discussion

31 views
Chapter 1-3

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What is unique about the setting of the book and how does it enhance or take away from the story?


message 2: by Matt (new)

Matt Katcher | 8 comments It is unique because it is a time and place where people are not supposed to have any children after 2 and the children are tested to see if they can go to Battle School. It enhances the story because it tells you that the book could be taking place in the future. It tells you how different things are in this time and place than the present.


message 3: by Jackson (new)

Jackson | 7 comments What's unique about the story is that in the first couple of sentences it doesn't tell you that much information at all and were just thrown into the story and what's happening. Because as the story starts we hear random people talking and then suddenly to ender getting his monitor removed in the first few pages.


message 4: by Nicholas (last edited Feb 06, 2017 06:19AM) (new)

Nicholas | 5 comments The setting is really unique as desks in the future can apparently project 3D images. Also, there are aliens that Humans call "buggers". It literally says that Ender was making contour maps with his desk. That sounds cool. But the aliens, uh, shouldn't it be "Buggers"?


message 5: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 8 comments The story is unique because ithe setting adds to the mood and helps identify the time in history/future. This story is based in the future when Earth tries to build an army to fight off bad guys. The setting takes place in a space lab where Ender is now raised to train in a military school. The time and place is difficult because people are not supposed to have more than 2 kids and some family's are asked to have a third child so they can see if the child is able to move on to military school, the monitors help to determine this.


message 6: by Vivian (last edited Feb 02, 2017 07:49AM) (new)

Vivian Hartwig | 8 comments The setting is unique because it is in the future and it has a hint a fear and unsettling at the beginning. It is partly because of the monitor and how there is a test you have to go through, and the part with the darker text and the two people talking to each other.
(Viv H.)


message 7: by Zane (new)

Zane | 7 comments The setting is unique because it takes place in the future and in the beginning it has a little bit of a scary felling. The monitor has a role in this and how Ender had to take this test and when those two people are talking.


message 8: by Steven (new)

Steven | 4 comments The setting is unique because the government want to put monitors on baby's necks and see how the develop so that they can recruit them into the army. Also I think that the law about having only 2 kids is stupid. Endor dad was 7 out of 9 children in his family. And Endor is only 6 years old.


message 9: by Gavyn (new)

Gavyn | 8 comments This setting in unique because it is based in the future which is way different from were we live now in this setting you can only have 2 children but in Enders case he was the third child and everyone called him third and makes fun of him for this. Also in this setting you have to go to Battle school and they put a monitor in your neck, this allows they to monitor everything you do. It enhances the story because it tell you how different this time and place is.


message 10: by Zach (new)

Zach Helberg | 7 comments The setting of the story is unique because it is in the future when aliens have attacked Earth and humanity is looking for ways to be ready for the next possible attack. This is where the main character, Ender, comes in. He has been chosen to become a member of Battle School, where he will learn to be a commanding pilot. Colonel Graff, the director of Battle school points out some thing unusual about Ender when recruiting him. "No one wants a Third anymore. You can't expect them"(his parents)"to be glad"(Card 22). In this world, people aren't supposed to have three children, and Ender is #3 for his family, thus making him sort of less than a normal person. This finally turns the tide of his decision and makes him agree to go.


message 11: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hecht | 7 comments I thing the setting of the story is unique because the setting is kind of like an army setting because almost everyone has a monitor and they are basically training to become army soldiers to fight against the aliens that have attacked the Earth before. I think it enhances the story because it makes it futuristic and I think it kind of makes the story cooler. This is different from today's time because we fortunately don't have to go to army schools to train to fight off aliens, which if this ever did happen it would happen in the far future.


message 12: by Cole (new)

Cole | 8 comments Erin wrote: "What is unique about the setting of the book and how does it enhance or take away from the story?"

What is unique aboout this story is that at first i thought it was relateable but then it started talking about the fighting and war and it gave it a twist you dont usally see in storys. Storys usally take place someplace else but i like how this is like wars being fought and they train kids to help. It just is like the first time A story has been made with this kind of topic and it is unique and i like it but it is somewhat confusing still right now


message 13: by Cole (new)

Cole | 8 comments Jonathan wrote: "I thing the setting of the story is unique because the setting is kind of like an army setting because almost everyone has a monitor and they are basically training to become army soldiers to fight..."
I like how you described it and how it has a military feel and im curious to see what does the box have to do with him being picked on and every thing.


message 14: by Coy (new)

Coy Sarsfield | 8 comments This books setting makes the novel unique because it is in the future somewhere it is not exactly stated in the book. The novel is also unique because you are not allowed to have more then two children unless the government allowes you to. This setting involves living in space which is futuristic. "Battle is for training future starship captains and commodores of flotillas and admirals if the fleet." (Card 20). This book would not work nowadays because the technology is too advanced for us to comprehend at this time.


message 15: by Coy (new)

Coy Sarsfield | 8 comments Gavyn wrote: "This setting in unique because it is based in the future which is way different from were we live now in this setting you can only have 2 children but in Enders case he was the third child and ever..."
I agree with what Gavyn has said, this truly does enhance the story and make it futuristic. This is good but you should include a quote from the book for the C part of RACE. Otherwise this is accurate and a good description of the first few chapters of this novel.


message 16: by Blake (new)

Blake | 8 comments How does the setting enhance the story? The setting enhances the story because it takes place in the distant future. Humanity is under threats of attacks by aliens. This is different from what we know today because we haven't discovered any aliens. We also don't have monitors in the back of our heads when we are born. As the doctors take out Ender's monitor, "That monitor is going to come out today. We're going to take it right out, and it won't hurt a bit" (Card 2). It would be weird to have a electronic on the back of your head recording everything you say and do.


message 17: by Blake (new)

Blake | 8 comments I can agree that being the third child of a family is unacceptable. This can point out the theme that even the unacceptable can make a big difference.


message 18: by Lea (new)

Lea | 6 comments I'd say the setting is unique because of how it's clearly in an alternate future but a very intriguing aspect is how they're recruiting very young children into the army as opposed to older kids. It's shown to be a very prominent part that these kids are young. I'd also say this enhances the story by offering a different point of view than most other stories would give us, that being a character who is a Third and ahead of the rest of his team. It's interesting that they added the part that families are only allowed two children unless otherwise indicated - likely due to overpopulation they have to limit the amount of children born a year.


message 19: by Nicholas (last edited Feb 06, 2017 06:23AM) (new)

Nicholas | 5 comments Jackson wrote: "What's unique about the story is that in the first couple of sentences it doesn't tell you that much information at all and were just thrown into the story and what's happening. Because as the stor..."
Oh, why yes, that does sound quite unique. It would've been nice if they have given us some background for the story. But, hey, it's pretty cool to just drop us in the middle of the story.


message 20: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 8 comments Zach wrote: "The setting of the story is unique because it is in the future when aliens have attacked Earth and humanity is looking for ways to be ready for the next possible attack. This is where the main char..."
I completely agree with you and I like how you took text out of the book to help explain your reasoning.


message 21: by Lea (new)

Lea | 6 comments Steven wrote: "The setting is unique because the government want to put monitors on baby's necks and see how the develop so that they can recruit them into the army. Also I think that the law about having only 2 ..."

In response to your comment about the two kids law, I'd say that it's pretty efficient. We have inferred this takes place in the future, likely a place where the actions we are causing now, in this case overpopulation, are in effect. Allowing couples to only have two children seems like the most efficient way to control overpopulation within this world, since it decreases the amount of people over time. This probably takes place only a few generations after now, but even then the population would have gotten even bigger, thus why Ender's dad's family is so big: the law wasn't in effect. I'd conclude that the law was instated so that population could be maintained and that humans don't destroy the earth simply by being there. The only reason Thirds are allowed is for scientific or for strategic reasons, and it seems efficient of the government to have a rule like this in this world.


message 22: by Matt (new)

Matt Katcher | 8 comments Jackson wrote: "What's unique about the story is that in the first couple of sentences it doesn't tell you that much information at all and were just thrown into the story and what's happening. Because as the story..."

I agree. I like how they just kind of put you in the middle of it all and then later you can start to piece together what is going on. I think this is a good way to start a book and get straight into the action and get the readers hooked almost instantly. It adds mystery to it because you're thinking, "What's going on" until they reveal more information.


message 23: by Austin,Curtis (new)

Austin,Curtis | 1 comments Nicholas wrote: "Oh, why yes, that does sound quite unique. It would've been nice if they have given us some background for the story. But, hey, its's pretty cool to just drop us in the middle of the story."
Well i did some digging and apparently the Buggers A.K.A formics were just coming because they had overpopulated there planet and were just coming to earth for diplomacy, But the humans were spooked and attacked them which cause them to defend themselves. So i think its mostly the humans fault for what happened {i looked this up i did not do any reading ahead}


message 24: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Hartwig | 8 comments Lea wrote: "I'd say the setting is unique because of how it's clearly in an alternate future but a very intriguing aspect is how they're recruiting very young children into the army as opposed to older kids. I..."

I agree with you, it is unique, but I think it is the way things are designed and how it puts you straight into the action than recruiting young kids for the setting.


message 25: by Dalton (new)

Dalton Delay | 4 comments Whats unique about the setting is that is starts of slow but then the technology and futuristic setting takes place more after the first few chapters. They give good detail about everything including the rocket they took to the new facility.


message 26: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Hutchinson | 8 comments The setting is sometime in the future, (I don't know the exact year) and takes place in a school where they train kids from a very young age to be master strategists and tacticians. They train the kids for the inevitable war against the aliens. Training six year olds to be war generals is a pretty original and interesting concept.


message 27: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 8 comments The setting is unique because they are in the future and they are at a school that teaches them about defending the world from the aliens. In my opinion this enhances the story with conflict. With out the setting there would probably not be as much conflict, so the story would not be a story with out it.


message 28: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Hutchinson | 8 comments Matt wrote: "It is unique because it is a time and place where people are not supposed to have any children after 2 and the children are tested to see if they can go to Battle School. It enhances the story beca..."

My Response: The one thing I don't really get is why they aren't supposed to have more than 2 kids. If they just got done with the last war against the aliens and were nearly wiped out, shouldn't they be trying to repopulate as much as possible? A law that says you can't have more than 2 children would usually only pop up if you have the opposite problem and there are too many people, like in China. So if you know the reason for this please let me know.


message 29: by Nick (new)

Nick Beevers | 8 comments Very interesting so far! I was a little confused on why some people were calling Ender Andrew though. What would you do if you were in Ender's situaton and had to choose whether or not to leave everything, and leave with some guy you just met, and not come home for a long time?


message 30: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 8 comments Blake wrote: "How does the setting enhance the story? The setting enhances the story because it takes place in the distant future. Humanity is under threats of attacks by aliens. This is different from what we k..."
I agree with how you belie how it would be weird to have people watching your every move. There would be no privacy or alone time. Your life would be controlled by the government.


message 31: by Nick (new)

Nick Beevers | 8 comments Steven wrote: "I think that the law about having only 2 kids is stupid." I agree, I think that law is very stupid! I don't understand why you can only have 2 kids, but I bet we will find out why later in the story.


message 32: by Jackson (new)

Jackson | 7 comments Lea wrote: "I'd say the setting is unique because of how it's clearly in an alternate future but a very intriguing aspect is how they're recruiting very young children into the army as opposed to older kids. I..."

I thought what lea had written had shown what was unique about the story and what it's about.


message 33: by Gavyn (new)

Gavyn | 8 comments Steven wrote: "The setting is unique because the government want to put monitors on baby's necks and see how the develop so that they can recruit them into the army. Also I think that the law about having only 2 ..."I agree. I think recruiting a kid for the army at such a young age and putting a monitor in there neck to observe everything they did is kind of weird. And in Ender's case he is only six years old and is taking him to battle school in space. They believe that Ender this the one they have been looking for which is a Genius and will help them win a war that is soon come.


message 34: by Steven (new)

Steven | 4 comments Coy wrote: "This books setting makes the novel unique because it is in the future somewhere it is not exactly stated in the book. The novel is also unique because you are not allowed to have more then two chil..." I agree with coy because the novel is unique because in real life the government does not control how many baby's you can have. And the fact that you must have a monitor put on the back of your neck and they record everything that you do is very creepy.


PrestonThecommunist | 7 comments I honestly did not find much about the setting unique I feel that the author derived the 2 child policy from the Chinese 1 child policy used to limit the population The children training for the army reminds me of the Metal Gear Solid Series. The neck monitors remind me of the Orson Welles novel nineteen eighty four with the Big brother aspect of it. The only really unique part I can see is that the school is in space. I cannot think of any instances of film or literature where this has occured


message 36: by Reid (new)

Reid | 7 comments The setting of the story is somewhere in the future. It enhances the story because it is where they train kids to fight and use strategy to win games. They monitor these kids and the kids that are successful are taken to battle school to train even further. it is also unique because people are only supposed to have 2 children, but Ender is a third that government allowed. Something that I thought takes away from the story is that Peter, Enders brother is constantly tormenting him and it makes it like how brothers act today


message 37: by Zane (new)

Zane | 7 comments Blake wrote: "How does the setting enhance the story? The setting enhances the story because it takes place in the distant future. Humanity is under threats of attacks by aliens. This is different from what we k..."

Yes I do think that the setting really enhances the mood because of where it is taking place. It really represents what might happen in the future as to how the world might end


message 38: by Austin (new)

Austin Verge | 8 comments I think that the setting is earth but a little in the future because they have monitors in the back of their neck and are only allowed to have 2 kids. I think that once ended bears up the kid that it enhances the story. I also think that pete hates his brother in a way but also loves him in a way to. I think that valentine is more caring for ended then Pete. I would have to say that my favorite part so far is when Enders beats up the bully


message 39: by Austin (new)

Austin Verge | 8 comments Matt wrote: "It is unique because it is a time and place where people are not supposed to have any children after 2 and the children are tested to see if they can go to Battle School. It enhances the story beca..."

I agree it definitely shows what is different with present day and then. I also agree with the 2 children policy except when the government gives the family permission like with ender. I also think you did a good job describing how they have to take a test to go to battle school.


message 40: by Ethan (new)

Ethan | 8 comments The setting is unique because a 6 year old named Ender Wiggin has a chip in his neck, a device that controls his life. It gets taken out and he goes back home. His brother Peter attempts to kill him, Ender doesn't die, but becomes more stronger because of it. Later, a person comes to the door to take him away and put him into space to fight buggers. His group, The Launchies, form a group of "haters" for Ender after Ender breaks the bully Bernard's arm. The setting is in space on a huge shuttle, ready for space wars with buggers.


message 41: by Ethan (new)

Ethan | 8 comments Austin wrote: "I think that the setting is earth but a little in the future because they have monitors in the back of their neck and are only allowed to have 2 kids. I think that once ended bears up the kid that ..."
I agree with your post Austin. It really defines what the setting is like in chapters 1-3. I think that its in space rather than on Earth, but I believe what you said is very alike to what the setting and book is like.


message 42: by Chase (new)

Chase | 8 comments The setting of Enders game is very mysterious and sets the mood for the setting. I don't like how enders game starts out because its slow but picks up after awhile. I really like this book.


message 43: by Reid (new)

Reid | 7 comments Jonathan wrote: "I thing the setting of the story is unique because the setting is kind of like an army setting because almost everyone has a monitor and they are basically training to become army soldiers to fight..."
I agree with your post Jonathan I think that the monitors make the story more unique. They also train kids to battle at a very young age to go to battle school these things make the setting futuristic and this kind of stuff dos not happen in our day and ag, but it could in the far future


message 44: by Zach (new)

Zach Helberg | 7 comments Steven wrote: "The setting is unique because the government want to put monitors on baby's necks and see how the develop so that they can recruit them into the army. Also I think that the law about having only 2 ..."

I think you brought up a really good point about Ender's age. It's sometimes hard to think in the eyes of someone that young, and it really does put a new perspective on the whole situation. The IF could definitely find a better way to do what they're doing, and it does seem extremely unfair. However, I suppose we will just have to wait to if they reasoning is revealed later in the story.


message 45: by Preston (new)

Preston Pfeiffer | 2 comments the setting is unique because they are in space and they can get there really quick if we would go that far it would take 6 or more years.


message 46: by Chase (new)

Chase | 8 comments Gavyn wrote: "This setting in unique because it is based in the future which is way different from were we live now in this setting you can only have 2 children but in Enders case he was the third child and ever..."

This post is good because it talks about setting of the book. It also gives just enough info. to get you wanting to read this book.


PrestonThecommunist | 7 comments Preston wrote: "the setting is unique because they are in space and they can get there really quick if we would go that far it would take 6 or more years."
The setting is not unique in only that respect It seems you didn't even read the book judging by your lack of effort put into your review . There is a blatant theme in the setting you overlooked and that is the 2 child policy


back to top