Reading 1001 discussion

Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Vol. 1 of 2 (chapter 1-60)
Archives > Q1 (Chap 1 - 32) - Question 4

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Seymour A slightly different spin on our "who would you want to have lunch with question," if you were a king in this era, which military leader noted to this point in the book would you want commanding your armies?

message 2: by John (new)

John Seymour I think this ends up being an interesting question. Not Cao Cao, though perhaps the most effective of the generals, how could you sleep at night knowing Cao Cao ultimately wants to be emperor. Certainly not Yuan Shao or his brother Yuan Shu, who together make a fairly effective rebuttal to the claims of aristocracy. Liu Biao, recovers from Sun Jian's attack and ends being pretty strong, but appears pretty defensively minded.

I think I would want Xuande (assuming that Lord Guan and Zhang Fei are part of the package). At the least I would be assured of their loyalty.

message 3: by Patrick (last edited Mar 03, 2017 03:48PM) (new)

Patrick Robitaille | 933 comments I would probably go for Liu Bei and "his team", as he is generally well surrounded by his oath brothers and faithful advisers. At the other end of the scale, I am with you about Cao Cao, and I would also add Lü Bu, who was too much of a loose cannon despite his strength.

message 4: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 1985 comments Mod
Guan Yu he is extremely loyal and doesn't break pledges he acts with honesty and is a feared warrior.