Reading 1001 discussion

Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Vol. 1 of 2 (chapter 1-60)
Archives > Q1 (Chap. 1 - 32) - Question 1

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Seymour 1. How did you experience the book? Were you engaged immediately, or did it take you a while to "get into it"? Are you looking forward to the next book

message 2: by Diane (last edited Feb 05, 2017 03:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane  | 2042 comments It took a while for me to get accustomed to the prose. The book has a LOT of action, however, which kept me engaged despite the prose. I only intended to read 10-12 chapters per month, but found myself wanting to keep reading more. I like how the author combined actual history of the Han Dynasty with folklore and mythology in telling the story.

I have already started the next book.

message 3: by John (new)

John Seymour I was immediately engaged and the writing and action kept me continuously engaged. I was going to read Volume II in May, but I don't see how I can possibly wait that long. The only thing that slowed my reading was that my wife was reading it at the same time I was, so the only time I could read was in the morning before she got up, or on those occasions when she was busy with other things. Work didn't help.

message 4: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Robitaille | 933 comments The first few chapters were a little bit confusing, but the main threads and characters started to emerge thereafter. As with other classic Chinese novels, there is a myriad of characters, with the difference that their life expectation is generally very short, sometimes dying in the same sentence/paragraph in which they have been introduced. Just like Diane, I quite enjoy the insertion of mythology and "supernatural" events into the historical framework. Looking forward to resuming the second part.

message 5: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 1985 comments Mod
I found it really slow going to get into and the hundreds of similar names very confusing now however the main characters have emerged and I am finding it easier to follow their stories.

I have to say though that all the battles, the secret plots and the betrayals are getting repetitive.