2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2017 > The Sword of Shannara (Sword of Shannara #1)

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss Terry Brooks‘s book, The Sword of Shannara.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Brianna, Catherine

message 2: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 181.50
Week 2: 181.50
Week 3: 181.50
Week 4: 181.50

message 3: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments So the version I have of this is the annotated version that has only 512 pages so I'm going to share how I'm going to split it between 4 weeks in case it may help anyone else who's reading it.

The Sword of Shannara Annotated 35th Anniversary Edition by Terry Brooks

Week 1 → end of chapter 09 (page 120)
Week 2 → end of chapter 18 (page 246)
Week 3 → end of chapter 26 (page 375)
Week 4 → end of book (page 512)

It's approximately 128 pages a week.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) | 316 comments I hope you two enjoy the book! I love his books and have read quite a few of them.

message 5: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1561 comments I'm not sure if mine is the annotated version or not. I'll have to check when I get home from work. Looking forward to this!

message 6: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1561 comments My book is the non-annotated version. I'm a little nervous about being able to finish it on time, but I started it today and I think it's going to move pretty fast.

Brianna, have you watched any of the TV show?

message 7: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments Catherine wrote: "My book is the non-annotated version. I'm a little nervous about being able to finish it on time, but I started it today and I think it's going to move pretty fast.

Brianna, have you watched any o..."

I've seen the entire first season. My husband had read the series when he was younger and really wanted to watch it. It definitely made me interested in the series. I know the show starts with the second book so going into this book will be brand new storylines and such.

I'll be starting it in a few days. I'm currently in the middle of 4 other books so I want to finish at least one or two before diving into this one.

message 8: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1561 comments I've seen the first season as well. I didn't know anything about the show or the books when I started watching it and I didn't realize this first book wouldn't follow the show, but it still seems like it will be fun to read -- just very long!

message 9: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments Yeah, the second books is where the show picks up so I'm excited to get there. It'll be nice to have a bit more background to the show though.

message 10: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments The first week of February is at an end! Hard to believe. Have you started this book? What are your thoughts so far?

message 11: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1561 comments I'm on page 112 of my version of the book, a little ways into chapter 7. It's good but a little scary! I've had to put it down a few times. I'm nervous for the characters. It's suspenseful!

message 12: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments I'm planning on starting it today!

message 13: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments Reading the annotated version is kind of hard! With these little notes on the sides of the pages I find myself getting distracted. I also feel like some of them are somewhat spoilery and I'm going to try to ignore them going forward. I only finished the first chapter so far, but I'm definitely intrigued!

message 14: by Kailu (new)

Kailu McQueen | 8 comments Great book, loved it so much I would gladly read it again!

message 15: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments I just finished chapter 9 and I like it so far. I like when things are happening but I am definitely struggling through all the backstory. As much as I like Allanon it's not hard to tune him out. lol

message 16: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1561 comments I'm midway through Chapter 18, about half done with the book. I got a little stuck about 100 pages back but then things started to pick up again!

message 17: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments I'm hoping once they get going on their quest again that it picks up more.

message 18: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1561 comments Yep, that's exactly where it picked up for me!!

message 19: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Interesting conversations as we head into the third week of February. Sounds like everyone is enjoying the first book in this series! Terry Brooks has often been recommended to me as an author so I look forward to hearing all of your thoughts.

message 20: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1561 comments Is there any chance we could wait until April to start the second book in this series? I'm still just slightly over half done with this book and I know there is no way I can finish it this week. I'm very interested in continuing with the series! For me though, the books are too long to get through in one month :(

message 21: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments Catherine wrote: "Is there any chance we could wait until April to start the second book in this series? I'm still just slightly over half done with this book and I know there is no way I can finish it this week. I'..."

I am SO okay with that! I'm almost half way, but it is definitely slow going.

message 22: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1561 comments Great!! Thank you! That makes me feel better.

message 23: by Mary Pat (last edited Feb 20, 2017 11:29AM) (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Hi Brianna & Catherine!

I will extend this book for another month and postpone the second book until April! I will push the third book back as well. (Hard to believe we are in the last week of February!)

message 24: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1561 comments Thanks, Mary Pat! That will be great.

message 25: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments Thank you Mary Pat!

message 26: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments Yay! I broke the halfway point! I am just about to start chapter 21. (view spoiler) I feel like things are starting to pick up a bit (or at least I hope so!).

message 27: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1561 comments I must be just past that point! That was pretty funny. I'm looking forward to getting back into it, I haven't had time to read so far this week.

message 28: by Brianna (last edited Feb 26, 2017 06:15PM) (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments I am in chapter 21 - (view spoiler)

message 29: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments After not reading this for about a week, I finally dove back in. I feel like things are starting to get moving again. I really don't know why I'm struggling so much with this book. It's not like I dislike it at all, it's just proven to be a hard one for me to get through.

message 30: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1561 comments I ended up finishing it faster than I expected. My mom has been in and out of the hospital over the last two weeks, so I had more reading time than I had planned for.

I really liked this book, and it was not boring by any means, but it did feel like it took forever to finish it! I think the last section of the book went faster, once the action really started heating up and the group was split up into different story lines.

message 31: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments Catherine wrote: "I ended up finishing it faster than I expected. My mom has been in and out of the hospital over the last two weeks, so I had more reading time than I had planned for.

I really liked this book, and..."

They just split up so it is definitely moving quicker. I'm aiming to read at least one chapter a day so I can complete it by the end of the month. I'm hoping to get in the zone at one point and charge through quite a bit, but we'll see. lol I'm excited to start the next book since I'm already familiar with some of the characters so I doubt I'll have such a hard time like with this installment (I hope).

message 32: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Sounds like you are moving along on this book as we enter the third week of March! Hope everyone is enjoying it!

message 33: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Just a gentle reminder that March will come to an end in a few days. Onward to The Elfstones of Shannara!

message 34: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1561 comments I'm ready!

message 35: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments I can't wait!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.