2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2017 > The Light Between Oceans

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mary Pat (last edited Feb 03, 2017 06:18PM) (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss M. L. Stedman‘s book, The Light Between Oceans.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Cassandra, Lisa, Janine, Eileen, Allison

message 2: by Mary Pat (last edited Jan 26, 2017 05:32PM) (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 85.75
Week 2: 85.75
Week 3: 85.75
Week 4: 85.75

message 3: by Lisa (last edited Jan 28, 2017 08:59AM) (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments I've got the book ready to go on my kindle! I'm so excited to get started with this one!! My first buddy read - yaaay!

PS. There's a slight ginormous chance that I've had too much coffee today, hence the overuse of exclamation marks, but the enthusiasm is there nonetheless :)

message 4: by Janine (new)

Janine | 1104 comments I picked my copy up from the library last week so I'm ready to go soon too!

Thinking about the split, there are 37 chapters, so roughly 9 chapters each week (page numbers for my copy are very different). I'll have to renew my copy half way through the month so may have to speed up reading it if someone else requests it. :)

message 5: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Lisa wrote: "I've got the book ready to go on my kindle! I'm so excited to get started with this one!! My first buddy read - yaaay!

PS. There's a slight ginormous chance that I've had too much coffee today, he..."

Enthusiasm is always appreciated no matter what the cause! :) Enjoy your first buddy read!

message 6: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments The breakdown of pages is only a suggestion for folks to follow if they choose. You can read at whatever pace you would like - faster or slower. Just remember to mark spoilers so the story line is not revealed to those who are not as far ahead.

message 7: by Eileen (new)

Eileen  | 190 comments I'll read the book with you :) starting next week

message 8: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Eileen wrote: "I'll read the book with you :) starting next week"

I have added you to the list of participants! Enjoy!

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments Yay! Welcome Eileen :)

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments Are you all commencing this week?
My Kindle version is apparently a bit longer so my break down of pages looks a little different :)

I started reading last night and got to chapter 3. It's definitely not a genre I generally reach for but off to a good start :)

message 11: by Janine (new)

Janine | 1104 comments I'll be starting this weekend :)

message 12: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments I've got a book to get through with my TBR twin before diving into this one, but then I can get started.

message 13: by biblio • bliss (new)

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 3 comments The Book Snails Book Group (I'm co-mod over there) is just starting this book for our Feb. 2017 BOTM. I don't know if we will have any discussion threads though. I don't have a copy right now (the 2 library copies are currently checked out) but I put a hold request. May I join in if I get a copy and have time?

message 14: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Allison wrote: "The Book Snails Book Group (I'm co-mod over there) is just starting this book for our Feb. 2017 BOTM. I don't know if we will have any discussion threads though. I don't have a copy right now (the ..."

Of course you may! I will add you to the list of participants!

message 15: by Janine (new)

Janine | 1104 comments So I started last night, and got quite a bit of the way through actually. I made it to Chapter 8. I've found it to be such a pleasant, easy read so far, though perhaps things might get a bit more dramatic and emotional later on. I haven't actually read much fiction that takes place post-WWI, most of the early 20th century historical fiction I've read takes place during the wars.

Spoilers for Chapters 1 + 2:
(view spoiler)

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments Janine wrote: "So I started last night, and got quite a bit of the way through actually. I made it to Chapter 8. I've found it to be such a pleasant, easy read so far, though perhaps things might get a bit more d..."

Janine, in regards to your question in your spoiler section... (view spoiler)

I got halfway through chapter 3 last night and simply dozed off. The pace (so far) is a bit too mellow so I might have to stop reading this book right before bed :D

message 17: by Janine (new)

Janine | 1104 comments Lisa wrote: "Janine wrote: "So I started last night, and got quite a bit of the way through actually. I made it to Chapter 8. I've found it to be such a pleasant, easy read so far, though perhaps things might g..."

Spoiler section: (view spoiler)

I agree it is rather mellow, but I'm quite liking that. I just finished an action-heavy Sci Fi book so it's quite nice to have a change of pace!

message 18: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments It is the end of the first week in February and I thought I would check in. Is every one enjoying the book so far?

message 19: by Lisa (last edited Feb 05, 2017 11:53AM) (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments So I tried posting an answer from the app on my phone but I noticed it cut me off after posting, so trying this again:

Even though it's a genre outside my comfort zone and I'm still getting used to the pace, i really enjoy the story so far :)

One thing I've noticed, that I'm not really certain how I am feeling about yet, is the shift in tense, predominantly between chapter 3 & 4. I just can't figure out why M.L. Stedman thought it was necessary since it's still in the same timeline.

There is something that I'm really regretting and that is watching the trailer for the movie, as I feel that now I have certain ideas and expectations to the progression of the plot.

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 2 comments I am a little late to the party and would still like to join if I may. I have the book, and just finished up another and am ready to go.

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments Jennifer wrote: "I am a little late to the party and would still like to join if I may. I have the book, and just finished up another and am ready to go."

Welcome to the discussion Jennifer :)

message 22: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments I'm about a quarter of the way through now. It's taking me a little bit to get into it because it's so quiet and mellow, but it's nice too.

My comments re: spoilers above: (view spoiler)

Spoilers until after chapter 9: (view spoiler)

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments I'm truly finding Tom's little insights to life thought provoking, and I think it's interesting how it's the banal actions that help him get through the everyday. How he "takes comfort from the orderliness of it" and "finds a freedom in the silence".

I really love how you have these two people worlds apart, this broken man and this seriously naive young woman, that come together.

(view spoiler) like OMG that just... even though heartbreaking, is just my favorite part of the book so far.

message 24: by Janine (new)

Janine | 1104 comments Re: Cassandra's Ch9 spoiler section:

(view spoiler)

message 25: by Lisa (last edited Feb 06, 2017 04:39AM) (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments I like that part I and part II are set in the same time and space and everything between is really everything in between.

I don't know if it's just me getting used to the genre and writing style and getting into the story more and more, but I do feel like it's easy-reading once you some of those chapters in the beginning. Might just be me :)

message 26: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments I finished Part II last night. Two non-spoilerish things that come to mind:

1. Does anyone get the feeling that all of these people are wrong but their motivations are totally understandable?

2. This is the most single-minded plot that I've ever read, I think. There aren't any subplots - it really just focuses on Tom, Isabel, Lucy, and the people they know on the island.

message 27: by Lisa (last edited Feb 07, 2017 03:07PM) (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments I agree on both accounts Cassandra.

Back when Izzy is making her case to Tom all her reasoning are kind of logical.
It's like... what's better this or this? Why have a lose-lose situation, when you could have a win-win.
I kinda understand the benevolent intentions but still... they are just so.. infuriating at the same time...

I've only read up to chapter 13, so here are some spoiler thoughts that go more in depth in relation to what I wrote above :)
(view spoiler)

Eventhough it gets a bit monotonous, I actually like that there are no distractions from the central theme - no side-plots that take away from Izzy and Tom's narrative.

message 28: by Janine (new)

Janine | 1104 comments Cassandra wrote: "1. Does anyone get the feeling that all of these people are wrong but their motivations are totally understandable?"

Very much so. I think that's a key element to the book. You can understand why they've done something, but at the same time are just thinking, 'this is a terrible idea'.

Cassandra wrote: ""2. This is the most single-minded plot that I've ever read, I think. There aren't any subplots - it really just focuses on Tom, Isabel, Lucy, and the people they know on the island.

I think it fits really well with the setting of the book. They're so isolated from everyone else on Janus island, and so we as readers are isolated with them.

message 29: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments I totally agree! I love the connection to the isolation of Janus Rock and the focus on our few characters.

message 30: by Nik (new)

Nik (bleepnik) | 852 comments Hallo, I'm just starting the book, thought I'd join in. =)

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments Welcome Nik

message 32: by Janine (new)

Janine | 1104 comments As the story goes on, I'm finding myself more and more uncomfortable. You just know it can't all end well! I'm still very much enjoying it, but I think I might speed through the rest of the book as I just need to know how it all ends.

Ch17 spoilers:
(view spoiler)

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments Question:
Anyone care to venture a guess at to how old Isabel is when she goes to the doctor and he tells her that thing he tells her?

message 34: by Nik (new)

Nik (bleepnik) | 852 comments Reading chapter 3. A little bored, so far. Not loving the dual timelines, but I think that's one of my reading challenges so yay.

message 35: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Lisa... I'm picturing Isabel at about 30 years old, but I'm not sure if that's right. There isn't a lot to anchor the characters in time.

Janine: (view spoiler)

Nik, I was a little bored throughout the early part of the book. It doesn't exactly get more "exciting" since it still focuses entirely on Tom and Isabel - but I did start getting more invested in the characters, which helped.

message 36: by Nik (new)

Nik (bleepnik) | 852 comments Cassandra wrote: "…but I did start getting more invested in the characters, which helped."

Yep, that started happening during the picnic and I agree it helps. Thanks!

message 37: by Nik (new)

Nik (bleepnik) | 852 comments Lisa: (view spoiler)

Finished the book a bit ago. There's something I find unbelievable in the actual storytelling. You know how, sometimes, you read something about a character, or a bit of dialogue, and you think, Gaw, only a cis man would say that! And it doesn't ring true, because the character is a woman? I experienced the inverse of that, in that some of the thoughts attributed to Tom simply didn't ring true to me.

Anyway. There was a fair amount of sniffling and weeping towards the end, which earned it an extra star, but in general I thought things were laid on a bit thickly.

I did enjoy the very Aussie turns of phrase and colloquialisms, as well as some new-to-me animal names. =) (I mean, what visit to Australia would be complete without (view spoiler), right?)

message 38: by Eileen (new)

Eileen  | 190 comments Hey, just to let you know that I'll be starting this book tonight since I've just finished reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy with the group read. I'll try to catch you up :)

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments I am currently stuck... I kept trying to read chapter 17 (it's the one with Septimus Pott) and I just couldn't.... I had to re-read the same page at least 3 times because my attention just wasn't there.. and then ultimately fell asleep while reading :D

message 40: by Janine (new)

Janine | 1104 comments Lisa wrote: "I am currently stuck... I kept trying to read chapter 17 (it's the one with Septimus Pott) and I just couldn't.... I had to re-read the same page at least 3 times because my attention just wasn't t..."

Oh dear, not a good sign! Hope you find you can pick it up and get back into it again.

Personally, my attention was kept through a desperation to find out the course of action different characters were going to choose. Just so many bad decisions being made!

message 41: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments I think it's because I have sense of how things will evolve. Plus the fact that I've felt a moral detachment due to all the bad decisions being made so far :D But I guess I might be mistaken, I guess we'll see :) I definitely want to push through and finish it.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1017 comments I read this book just a few months ago. I think most of you are having the same experience I did. While the book is well-written, it's kind of dull at times during the first half and maybe a bit beyond that point. I found that the last 100 pages were so emotionally gripping that I had to set everything aside and read them in one sitting which bumped the book from a 3-star to a 4-star rating for me. (Review here if you're interested: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...) I'm really happy I read it, although it's not my usual kind of book.

message 43: by Lisa (last edited Feb 11, 2017 08:01AM) (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments Oh boy! Oh Tom, Tommy, Thomas, Tom, Tom... ! Oh those Sherbournes (view spoiler)

message 44: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments Finished the book last night! (view spoiler)
It ended the way I had foreseen and am actually glad it did - In my opinion it's what needed to happen :)

I'll be watching the movie today and I'm anticipating a lot of blubbering and sniffling.

message 45: by Eileen (last edited Feb 12, 2017 12:01PM) (new)

Eileen  | 190 comments Hey :) I'm at the middle of the book so here's what I thought about the first half:
(view spoiler)

message 46: by Janine (new)

Janine | 1104 comments I also finished the book. I read the second half quite quickly as I felt like I needed the resolution!

With regards to the ending; Lisa I agree. I found the ending satisfying and it's what I wanted. (view spoiler) I'd love to know how you get on with the film, I've not seen it.

Eileen - it's interesting you saw that. I think I was seeing Isobel through Tom's eyes for at least the beginning of the book so looked upon her quite favourably, it was only some of the actions and behaviours you mentioned that made me start to dislike her a little. Then again, I think Isobel was changed by everything that happened, it'd be hard not to be!

message 47: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments Eileen - I agree that Isabel seems very impulsive. She definitely acts first, then thinks (if at all). However, I don't think it's with a malicious streak... I honestly don't believe she intends on being manipulative (at least not at first).

My thoughts on Isabel: (view spoiler)

As for Tom, while his resolve is weakened in moments of emotional chaos, he could've stopped it all from the get-go. I get why he gives in, though. He would've lost it all, including Isabel.

message 48: by Lisa (last edited Feb 12, 2017 01:36PM) (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments Btw, with regards to the ending: (view spoiler)

message 49: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Great to see such interesting conversations as we enter the third week of February! Might have to add this book to my TBR!

message 50: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments I just finished watching the movie.... and uhm... it was... not what I was expecting.
Some discrepancies kinda threw me off. I had imagined certain passages from the book that would've worked well as scenes. All in all, I just wanted something more from the movie.

Not to say that I didn't like the movie, I most certainly did, I just enjoyed the book more :) Which is surprising to me.

Has anyone else seen the movie? Would love to compare and discuss the movie and book if anyone is planning on seeing the film at some point :)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.