Alexander Hamilton Alexander Hamilton discussion

I Just Have a Lot of Feelings About Hamilton

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

When I started reading this biography, I expected to learn a lot, but I did not expect to close it for the last time feeling as though I had lost a friend. Did anyone else feel as though they knew Alexander Hamilton like a close friend instead of a deceased founding father afterwards?

David Laura wrote: "When I started reading this biography, I expected to learn a lot, but I did not expect to close it for the last time feeling as though I had lost a friend. Did anyone else feel as though they knew ..."

YES! It is why I am re-reading it! (That and my book club members voted to read it this year).

Deepa Krishnan Laura wrote: "When I started reading this biography, I expected to learn a lot, but I did not expect to close it for the last time feeling as though I had lost a friend. Did anyone else feel as though they knew ..."<

Relate to that 100%.

David I agree whole-heartedly. Alexander Hamilton is my favorite Founder; and this biography holds the place in my heart as my second-favorite of all time (McCullough's masterful "Truman" keeping the first place position); my book club also voted to read it this year, and I was excited to start it again to "reminisce" with my old friend Hamilton. It was still startling and fresh as if I were reading it for the first time!

message 7: by Robin P (last edited Oct 17, 2017 06:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Robin P It's kind of heartening to know that even in the Founding Fathers' days there was bitter partisanship. There was no perfect harmony, and even the originators weren't always consistent about their beliefs and intentions. I also loved little elements in this book, like the person who was angry at John Jay about a treaty he negotiated. Since there was no Twitter, this person wrote a nasty message on the side of a barn near Jay's house!

Deepa Krishnan Robin wrote: "It's kind of heartening to know that even in the Founding Fathers' days there was bitter partisanship. There was no perfect harmony, and even the originators weren't always consistent about their b..."

I actually took heart from the fact that there was bitter partisanship and hypocrisy then too. Its not that politics has become this, we were always like this and we survived just fine. That gives hope.

706Scarlet Laura wrote: "When I started reading this biography, I expected to learn a lot, but I did not expect to close it for the last time feeling as though I had lost a friend. Did anyone else feel as though they knew ..."
I finished it about a month ago, and am still crying about some guy who died hundreds of years ago. And then I think of Eliza and what happened to her and then it just spirals down until I'm in a puddle of tears on the floor.

706Scarlet 'I just have a lot of feelings about Hamilton' is my life motto. I go through a cycle while, say, listening to the musical. I love him up until 'Say No to This', at which point I hate him. Then I kinda forget about hating him until 'We Know' which makes me hate him all over again. Then I hear 'Hurricane' and I'm thinking "oh no. Alex I can feel you thinking about doing something stupid. Don't even-" and then 'The Reynold's Pamphlet' comes and I'm just using the sheer force of hatred to make my energy go back to the late 1700s and early 1800s and strangle Ye Olde A.Ham. But then 'It's Quiet Uptown' happens and I'm crying again and hugging myself and saying 'they're so cute I can't' and my faith in Hammy is restored. Reading this book brought me through a similar cycle, only with, like, fifty times the hate towards Maria Reynolds. SHREGKWHG. Sorry, just had to expel the grossness of her name from my mouth. Even saying it can get you seriously sick. BUT anyway, there's my rant. :) I haven't done one of these in a while, so this was fun! Sorry if it's horribly written, I just needed to vent.

message 11: by Aneudy (last edited Jan 13, 2018 06:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aneudy Espinal I know what you mean. I have never shed a tear reading a book but at the end of Hamilton I felt as if I was as you say, losing a friend. I listened to the musical straight through right after and Wow! What an experience. I was simultaneously inspired and emotionally distraught. Once everything settled I couldn't help but feel that I had a lot of work to do, so much to go after and accomplish.

Vicki Casey That is pretty interesting book as for me) I think everyone should read it once in their lives)

Numidica Laura wrote: "When I started reading this biography, I expected to learn a lot, but I did not expect to close it for the last time feeling as though I had lost a friend. Did anyone else feel as though they knew ..."

Yes. The same way I felt when I finished Team of Rivals about Abraham Lincoln. The thing about Hamilton is, I get him; I have always had a bias for action like Hamilton. He saw what needed to be done and did it, not for personal profit, not even for personal glory, but because he was a responsible man who understood the value of building something. He was selfless in a way that we rarely see now.