Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Workshop No New Posts > Help with my book description

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Tetterton, Ph.D. | 4 comments Hello Everyone,
I am approaching my release date for two new e-books. This is my first go-around and I have no shortage of questions, confusion, and low moments. Nevertheless, like so many of you, I persist because writing and healing brokenness is my passion.

I wanted to get advice on the book description for one of my e-books titled: The Audacity of Me! (I am still working on the description for the other book). Here it is:

Unfortunately, too many of us are stuck in a holding pattern in life when we have been cleared for landing. We have the talents, vision, and a nudge from our Heavenly Father to pursue our divine purpose, but instead of landing on the tarmac of our destiny, we circle it repeatedly. Too often, we are reluctant to land because of fear. This was my story, until God took me on a journey that delivered me from the fear of failure, fear of rejection, feelings of inadequacy and valuing others’ opinions about me more than my own. The end result is a new courageous person who continues to be in awe of what I dare to conquer.

The Audacity of Me!

God desires to leave you in awe of what you accomplish too. He desires to render you unrecognizable to even yourself. In “The Audacity of Me” book, you will gain practical advice for owning your life with fulfillment and purpose.

You will embrace a new mindset about fear, leading you to it – not away from it.

You will gain guidance for discovering your divine identity and purpose.

You will discover strategies to maneuver past your “but moment” and through the “little ole me” complex.

You will learn how to “go underground” to gain clarity, direction, and vision for your landing.

You will also be equipped with tools for a successful landing including strategies to grow your faith, self-assess your true readiness to land, improve awareness of the enemy’s defeating strategies, and develop a new mind-set of rejection, commitment and sacrifice.

If you have a dream that lies dormant in the back of your mind as your drudge through another day void of ambition, purpose, or fulfillment - then this book is for you. You will be inspired to live in your divine purpose unapologetically and audaciously.

The Audacity of Me!

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

message 2: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4333 comments Mod
My first reaction is... wow, that's a long blurb. Often times blurbs work better if they are short and concise.

Reactions to the blurb itself...

"Unfortunately, too many of us are stuck in a holding pattern in life when we have been cleared for landing." - I don't like this. It is negative, it is vague and it feels like you're "many" people. I am not sure what you're trying to say. That most people do not live up to their potential? That people are, in general, clueless about what to do with their lives?

"Too often, we are reluctant to land because of fear." - Land where? Fear of what?

"This was my story, until God took me on a journey that delivered me from the fear of failure, fear of rejection, feelings of inadequacy and valuing others’ opinions about me more than my own. The end result is a new courageous person who continues to be in awe of what I dare to conquer. " - This has some meat to it. This could work as the blurb, if tweaked a bit. There is some solid info here and it is intriguing.

I would refrain from repeating the title of the book. People have already picked it up or clicked on a link. They've seen the title. Sell them on what is inside, now.

The "you will learn..." part is not bad, but I'm not fond of books or blurbs that have so much "white space". It would look better, to me, as one paragraph rather than broken into several. But, it does get into the meat of the book and it is intriguing.

message 3: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Tetterton, Ph.D. | 4 comments Thanks Dewayne for your feedback. I was trying to pull out an anology that I use in the book which is that sometimes we are pilots who have permission from the contro tower to land in our destiny - be who we are designed to be- but because of fear we elect to remain in a holding pattern. We allow the holding pattern, which is only supposed to be a temporary maneuver become our way of life. I
probably can rework the blurb to try to bring that home a little better. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

message 4: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4333 comments Mod
To be clear, I don't read this kind of book and am not familiar with the kind of blurbs that generally go with them, so maybe what you have will work with people that might enjoy the book.

But, my gut is that without reading the book and understanding the analogy, it doesn't mean much. It's as if you expect the reader to understand your analogy before they have read the book. Does that make sense?

I would, personally, feel more comfortable buying a book with something concrete in the blurb. Analogies might work best left inside the book where you can fully explain them.

message 5: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Tetterton, Ph.D. | 4 comments Great point! Thanks again for the input.

message 6: by Aislinn (new)

Aislinn | 150 comments I agree with Dwayne. This isn't my kind of book, but I do think that the blurb needs some work.

I think that the second half is okay, about what kind of advice people would find within. But the first paragraph needs quite a lot of adjustment. It could be shorter and a lot clearer.

I'm also not sure whether this is a memoir or a self-help book. First paragraph says memoir, second half says self-help. If it's self-help, I would consider talking less about your own journey other than maybe a line like "based on my personal journey" or something.

And I don't feel the title needs to be repeated there, either.

Hope that helps. Good luck with it!

message 7: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Tetterton, Ph.D. | 4 comments Thanks for the great advise Aislinn and Dwayne! Here is the revision based on your comments. It may still be a little long for you Dwayne, but I think it addresses some of the other concerns that you all brought out. Please tell me if I him hitting in the right ball park here?

Living a life with divine purpose is the aspiration for most. We don’t just want to live, we want to live the life God destined for us. Sadly, the fear of failure keeps us securely positioned within the confines of our comfort zones. Unable to take the leap of faith necessary to experience the fullness of our created purpose, we sometimes settle for unfulfilling jobs and passionless assignments. This was my story, until God took me on a journey that delivered me from the fear of failure, fear of rejection, feelings of inadequacy and valuing others’ opinions about me more than my own. From the ashes of my former timidity, an audacious person has arisen, who continues to be in awe of what I dare to undertake in pursuit of my destiny. God desires to leave you in utter disbelief of what you have the audacity to endeavor too.

In The Audacity of Me!, you will gain practical advice for owning your life with fulfillment and purpose. You will embrace a new mindset about fear, leading you to it – not away from it. You will gain guidance for discovering your divine identity and purpose. You will discover strategies to maneuver around your “but moment” and through the “little ole me” complex. You will learn how to “go underground” to gain clarity, direction, and vision for your destiny. You will also be equipped with tools to successfully navigate the path to your destiny including strategies to grow your faith; improve awareness of the enemy’s defeating strategies; develop a new mind-set of rejection; and to self-assess your true readiness to embark on your journey to destiny. If you believe that you are destined for something greater than you are presently living, then this book is for you. You will be inspired to live in your divine purpose unapologetically and audaciously.

message 8: by Aislinn (new)

Aislinn | 150 comments I definitely think this is an improvement. My worry now is that the paragraphs are really big blocks of text. I'd either try to slim them down more, or divide them into four if you can, just to make it easier on the eye.

Hope that helps!