Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Operant Conditioning?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1273 comments Do you ever use books as a reward or withold them as a punishment for yourself?

I had a significant work project that I had to finish, so I didn't allow myself to start a new book until the work was done. Am I alone in this?

message 2: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3543 comments Mod
Definitely the reward side. but never the punishment side.
Something along the lines of you survived Tuesday buy a book.You were nice to the in laws buy a book. You refrained from throwing the loud people on a bus out a window for disturbing your precious reading time , buy a book.
It works for me.

message 3: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new)

Lancer (elancer) | 1666 comments Mod
If I have a large paper or project due I'll read less, but regardless I always read at least a half hour or hour before going to sleep. That's my unwinding time and I would never give it up.

message 4: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 803 comments I do a lot of reward-worthy things, you know, things like breathing, blinking, etc. So I'm going to say "yes" to the reward thing. Punishment, not so much.

message 5: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 390 comments The general answer to your question for me is, no, not really. I have used books as a reward before but I'm at a point where if I really want a book I'll go buy it.

The only time in recent memory I did not allow myself to read was when I was studying for a professional certificate last year. All my spare reading time was spent studying instead. I just didn't have time for regular reading if I wanted to pass the cert exam.

message 6: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3543 comments Mod
I just rewarded myself for reading this threhisby buying a book :-)

message 7: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
Maybe I'll treat myself to new books, but if they're secondhand I buy them whenever (far too often :P).

message 8: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley de Jong (thebooksmademedoit) I definitely treat myself on buying a book when I feel I've accomplished something (good grades, idk?) but it's more an excuse than anything really..
When I really need to finish a project but really want to read a book I use it as a reward sometimes.. Like.. I'm allowed to stay in bed and read the following morning.. but I never use the punishment part!

message 9: by Cupcakes & Machetes, Hybrid Creature (new)

Cupcakes & Machetes (hybridcreature) | 878 comments Mod
Currently my husband and I are saving money to buy our first house, so I've banned myself from buying any more books unless they're for my book club and I can't get them at the library.
BUT, I told my husband once we move I'm going on a batshit crazy book buying binge to make up for it. :3

message 10: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 2933 comments Mod
I have done that with unexciting books -- if I read 25 pages of this boring book first, I'm allowed to spend the rest of the day on a fun book. But then I started letting myself abandon bad books, and I'm not in school and no longer have to force myself to read.

I'm pretty stingy about buying but will go crazy at the library.

message 11: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1899 comments When I've had a stressful week at work, my husband offers a date night of ice cream, coffee, and bookstore shopping. All my favorite things. He knows what will turn around the stress! :-) Yes to rewards!

message 12: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
He sounds amazing, Shawnie!

message 13: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 2933 comments Mod
Shawnie wrote: "When I've had a stressful week at work, my husband offers a date night of ice cream, coffee, and bookstore shopping. All my favorite things. He knows what will turn around the stress! :-) Yes to re..."

Aww, that's so romantic. A real keeper.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.