Topeka & Shawnee Co. Public Library discussion

Question of the Month! > A Book With A Great First Line

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 38 comments Mod
Have you ever read that book that hooked you with a great first line? I know I have. There are so many amazing first lines out there.
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." (A Tale of Two Cities)
"Call me Ishmael." (Moby-Dick)
"Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much." (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)

What is your favorite book with a great first line?

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie Nelson | 10 comments Mod
'Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm as the Tarleton twins were.' Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

message 3: by Mariam (new)

Mariam (courageouslycurious) | 3 comments Julie wrote: "'Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm as the Tarleton twins were.' Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell"

I can't think of one at the moment, but yours is very good!

message 4: by Deb (new)

Deb (debs4jc) | 99 comments Mod
One that is stuck in my mind is "The first time Jude Allman died he was 8 years old". It's from Waking Lazarus by T.L. HinesWaking Lazarus

It really grabbed my attention. "Wait, what, the FIRST time he died? What's going on here!?" And then of course I had to keep reading to find out.

message 5: by May (new)

May | 13 comments Deb wrote: "One that is stuck in my mind is "The first time Jude Allman died he was 8 years old". It's from Waking Lazarus by T.L. HinesWaking Lazarus

It really grabbed my attention. "Wait, wha..."

...and now I am curious! Well played!

Topeka & Shawnee Co. Public Library

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Waking Lazarus (other topics)