YA LGBT Books discussion

Archived BOM Nominations > February 2017 Book of the month - POLL UP - Go Vote

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (last edited Feb 02, 2017 05:23PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16516 comments We are now taking nominations for our February 2016 Book of the Month read - please nominate books that are YA-appropriate and have significant LGBTQ content. Please scan our old BotM threads, and the Buddy Reads, if you want to be sure we haven't already done your choice (or post it, and I'll check). We will be doing a book a month, with a two-month overlap to read it, rather than two a month as we did last year.

Please post a link to the book somewhere, preferably the GR link. If possible a blurb or brief description is appreciated.

What book do you want an excuse to read? Or what book do you want to discuss with others? Nominate a book (to a max of up to 2 books per member) below.

Nominations will close Midnight Jan 31st or when we have 12 books nominated. Poll will be posted after that.

Nominations are now Closed - Poll is here - https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1... - vote through Feb 7; for reading between Feb 7 and March 31.

message 2: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16516 comments I'm always looking for more good lesbian YA and saw this one recommended - Secret Heart Secret Heart by Danielle Dreger

It sounds lighter and sweeter, a bit rom-com, and right now I wouldn't mind that.

Avery Jennings is a punk-rock guitarist with a secret weakness for rom-coms and Taylor Swift. Her band, Detonate the Gazelle is ready to move to Austin after graduation, but Avery is having second thoughts. She’s fallen hard for Madison Shea, student council president with a douchebag boyfriend, after their orbits collide at Oak Bluff High’s inaugural Gay-Straight Alliance meeting. Even though it goes against her rules about crushing on straight girls, Avery relentlessly pursues Madison. Their chemistry is too magnetic to deny and soon they are making out in car washes and school bathrooms and holding hands under tables. Avery wants to take their relationship public but Madison is afraid of her conservative family’s reaction and that it’ll ruin her chances as Prom Queen. Their secret relationship is put to the ultimate test when student council vetoes a proposal for a gay-friendly prom and the club decides to throw a free Unprom the same night as Prom with Detonate the Gazelle as the headliner. If Unprom proves to be more popular than Prom, Madison will hold it against her and Avery will lose her shot at taking her relationship with Madison public. What started off as a love song may have just turned into a breakup ballad.

message 3: by Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛ (last edited Jan 26, 2017 08:02AM) (new)

Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛  (pinkhairedwannabe) | 14 comments The Scorpion Rules

It takes place in a futuristic peaceful Earth where the children of world leaders are brought up in a controlled facility. If their nation declares war, they die. The main character Gerda has accepted this as a fact until one day a boy named Elian arrives from America and turns her whole world upside down.

There are lesbians in this book too!

It's pretty dark and politics-heavy at times though.

message 4: by David (new)

David (dde11678) | 20 comments "History Is All You Left Me" by Adam Silvera

History Is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris Ritchie (kriswritchie) David wrote: ""History Is All You Left Me" by Adam Silvera

History Is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera"

I agree with this nom!

message 6: by Ems (new)

Ems | 8 comments David wrote: ""History Is All You Left Me" by Adam Silvera

History Is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera"

Yes, this

message 7: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16516 comments Sounds like a good possibility. :)

Two more days for nominations.

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris Ritchie (kriswritchie) Kaje wrote: "Sounds like a good possibility. :)

Two more days for nominations."

I love, though, how you wanted something sweet and light and everyone else suggested something that looks like if only the sad parts of John Green books had a novel-baby with the nostalgia and ending of toy story 3.

message 9: by Kaje (last edited Jan 31, 2017 09:17AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16516 comments Well, that's what a vote is for. And some days I like darker too.

LOL great description!

Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛  (pinkhairedwannabe) | 14 comments What do you mean everyone else lol I was the only other one aside from Kaje who actually recommended a book.

message 11: by Kaje (last edited Jan 31, 2017 04:35PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16516 comments David nominated History Is All You Left Me

When Griffin’s first love and ex-boyfriend, Theo, dies in a drowning accident, his universe implodes. Even though Theo had moved to California for college and started seeing Jackson, Griffin never doubted Theo would come back to him when the time was right. But now, the future he’s been imagining for himself has gone far off course.

To make things worse, the only person who truly understands his heartache is Jackson. But no matter how much they open up to each other, Griffin’s downward spiral continues. He’s losing himself in his obsessive compulsions and destructive choices, and the secrets he’s been keeping are tearing him apart.

If Griffin is ever to rebuild his future, he must first confront his history, every last heartbreaking piece in the puzzle of his life.

Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛  (pinkhairedwannabe) | 14 comments Yeah I saw that, I was referring to all the people who voted.

message 13: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16516 comments :D

message 14: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessicaclarence) | 9 comments I'm not sure if we're still taking noms because it is the 1st, but if I can slip in under the wire, I'd like to nominate Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit. It seems like a fresh read!

message 15: by Kris (last edited Feb 01, 2017 07:31AM) (new)

Kris Ritchie (kriswritchie) Elizabeth♛ Everyone Else Has a Super Long Name With a Symbol So I Might as Well Do it Too♛ wrote: "Yeah I saw that, I was referring to all the people who voted."

Sorry, in this case Elizabeth I was using it like "everyone else suggested the same book" (aside from you) since the formal voting hadn't started, so I can see how it was confuzzling.

I had barely started this book when I saw it was in this thread, so I am waiting to see if it wins so I can read-along! In my excitement, might not have followed my logic ;)

message 16: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16516 comments Nominations are now Closed - poll will be up soon

message 17: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16516 comments Poll is here - https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1... - vote through Feb 7; for reading between Feb 7 and March 31.