Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Erikson and Esslemont - Malazan > Orb Sceptre Throne [August 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 119 (119 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Starting 3/6

message 2: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1804 comments I hopped ahead. I'm into chapter 2. Maybe I'll pause for now. (God knows I have a stack of books to read). Hard to resist a return to http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Darujhi...

message 3: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1804 comments As an aside (I'm an urban planner as my day job). Got an application with a project named "Krupp" today. I might be in trouble :)

message 4: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Robert wrote: "As an aside (I'm an urban planner as my day job). Got an application with a project named "Krupp" today. I might be in trouble :)"

If his verbosity exceeds the loquaciousness of SE's Kruppe you have my most sincere sympathy. :)

message 5: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1804 comments I will find out. So far Esslemont's Kruppe feels the same as SE's.

message 6: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Just a bump to remind people we are starting in a week. Hopefully a few people who have said they may join per various threads do decide to join us.

message 7: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1804 comments I'm in (and cheating. I'm 42% of the way into it)

message 8: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Robert wrote: "I'm in (and cheating. I'm 42% of the way into it)"

No worries. Feel free to put some comments in spoilers.

message 9: by Seán (new)

Seán | 602 comments Don't think I'll be starting this week - my reading rate's slowed right down so I'm gonna stick to some shorter stuff for the next couple of weeks.

message 10: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Started this morning. Jenna you're not going to like this prologue as I consider it the weakest of any of the SE or ICE books. Chapter one was quite good though.

message 11: by Jakyro (new)

Jakyro | 64 comments I'd love to join ... but I'm way behind. I only finished The Bonehunters just now. It was amazing; my favourite one in the series so far!

message 12: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Jakyro wrote: "I'd love to join ... but I'm way behind. I only finished The Bonehunters just now. It was amazing; my favourite one in the series so far!"

The Bonehunters might be the best book in the series given all that went on but DHG and MOI are right there.

message 13: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
I'm still not done The Lions of Al-Rassan. This week has been crazy at work. :(

message 14: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Jenna wrote: "I'm still not done The Lions of Al-Rassan. This week has been crazy at work. :("

I'm not done with it either but it's taken a back seat to some other things, this being one.

message 15: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I've finished Orb and the first few pages of Sceptre. It's been enjoyable so far but there isn't that epic tie-in to all the stories so far.

message 16: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I'm slightly into chapter 14 and went to read the TOR re-read for chapter 13. I think Amanda's first paragraph sums it up for me.

This is strange. I have to confess that I am thoroughly enjoying this novel, in that I like the characters, and, for the most part, I like seeing the storylines unfold. But we are 64% into the story and I still can’t quite see how things are tying together or moving to a climax.

message 17: by Rob (last edited Mar 12, 2017 08:14AM) (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1804 comments I've just begun chapter 17 (77%)...starting to come together, I think, but not seeing the outcome of it, though hopeful it turns out a certain way. At the very least you can things have been heating up quite a bit without spoiling it.

Quite a few familiar faces are showing up too.

message 18: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Robert wrote: "I've just begun chapter 17 (77%)...starting to come together, I think, but not seeing the outcome of it, though hopeful it turns out a certain way. At the very least you can things have been heatin..."

I'm through chapter 15 and 73%. I think the one thing I definitely see is

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1804 comments (view spoiler)

message 20: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Chapter 16.........couple of beefs........

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1804 comments (view spoiler)

message 22: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

re: spoiler

(view spoiler)

message 23: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

The ending of chapter 17 was epic and the first time ICE has delivered a moment or horror wrapped in compassion like SE frequently does.

message 24: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Through 18

(view spoiler)

message 25: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I finished last night. My favorite of the ICE books. I'm not sure about a few identities and I think that's intentional.

message 26: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

So overall I liked this book a lot. You could see ICE grow as a writer. These end of the book thoughts will end up sounding like I'm mostly complaining but that's why I couldn't give it a 5.

(view spoiler)

message 27: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Mar 14, 2017 06:29AM) (new)

So I am an even worse buddy reader than usual. Somehow, I was told March would be a slower month at work, but two teachers have left recently and I've had to pick up a lot of their students. Hence the complete absence of comments from me. I'm glad you had another buddy this month, Scott.

I wasn't totally in the right mood for this kind of book, but I will admit that it was the best ICE book which is why it still gets four stars. The ending was definitely the best he's written and I think in this book he really has found his own style of writing.

I was glad to see characters from previous ICE books like Kiska and Leoman, and I didn't mind that (view spoiler)

I didn't like ICE's version of Kruppe, but that probably isn't surprising because I don't like Erikson's Kruppe either. Can't decide which is worse, though.

message 28: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

You did a good job of catching up.

message 29: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Scott wrote: "You did a good job of catching up."

I read a lot in two sittings yesterday and today so I could catch up. :)

message 30: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I never have the time for that on a given day so I make sure I keep a constant pace.

message 31: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Scott wrote: "I never have the time for that on a given day so I make sure I keep a constant pace."

I didn't really have time for it because I usually take a nap in between my split shift, but I keep thinking I should get to this book so I forced myself to make time.

message 32: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1804 comments crazy couple of days and fell behind. finally just finished. going back through comments now

message 33: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1804 comments Just to get some of my thoughts in - I admit to reading late at night last night and trying to keep myself awake during really exciting parts. I have to reread it as I may have missed things!

(view spoiler)

message 34: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Robert wrote: "Just to get some of my thoughts in ."

(view spoiler)

message 35: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3530 comments Mod
August 7th Angela and Miche.

message 36: by Miche (new)

Miche | 3004 comments In! :D

message 37: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

August 1st Angela and Miche :-).

message 38: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

BTW the meeting I mentioned that I had been waiting for since DHG actually happened in TtH. I had the sequence of events mixed up where both this and TtH happen in Darujhistan. It was (view spoiler)

message 39: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Haha that was funny.

message 40: by Miche (last edited Jul 16, 2018 09:44AM) (new)

Miche | 3004 comments That meeting was hilarious!

message 41: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Looking forward to this one. Scott and Jenna both gave it four stars!

Only open if you've read Dust of Dreams (view spoiler)

message 42: by Miche (new)

Miche | 3004 comments Angela wrote: "Looking forward to this one. Scott and Jenna both gave it four stars!

Only open if you've read Dust of Dreams [spoilers removed]"

I hadn't thought about the name relation to these characters!

I am trying to keep my expectations low for this one. Stonewielder was so hard to read because of what I expected vs what we got.

message 43: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Angela wrote: "Looking forward to this one. Scott and Jenna both gave it four stars!

I had the same question going into this one.

message 44: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Miche wrote: "Angela wrote: "Looking forward to this one. Scott and Jenna both gave it four stars!

I hadn't thought about the name relation to these ..."

I'm trying to keep my expectations low too, but it's hard when I know we will be in Darujistan again.

message 45: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

It's really a 3.75 which is the rating I give books which aren't quite a 4 but I simply can't give a 3. A book that's better than a 3 but I can't give it a 4* I give a 3.5.

message 46: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Miche, I'm going to start this one today. Haha you'll still overtake me :-).

message 47: by Miche (new)

Miche | 3004 comments Angela wrote: "Miche, I'm going to start this one today. Haha you'll still overtake me :-)."

I will start it in the next couple of days. :-)

message 48: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Dramatis Personae. It's going to be interesting to see how Esselmont writes a lot of these characters given SE wrote them in the main series.

message 49: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Angela wrote: "Dramatis Personae. It's going to be interesting to see how Esselmont writes a lot of these characters given SE wrote them in the main series."

Yes, yes it is. :P

message 50: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

I haven't had a lot of time to read the last few days as sick with a cold.

Prologue (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3