Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived > Need help adding action to my romance novella

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin Daniels | 27 comments Erin Lee Daniels | 1 comments Hi everyone!
My beta reader wisely informed me that there is too much backstory and not enough plot/action in my contemporary romance. It takes place in a ski chalet and I'm having a tough time introducing action. Basically a young woman meets a sexy, charming man at the chalet and they spend a passionate night together. Problem is he neglected to tell her he is the billionaire property developer who owns the chalet. Our heroine is there with her boss because their design firm has been hired to redo the main lobby and sitting room in the chalet. i have some natural conflict but almost no action and I think it hurts the novella.

Any suggestions? How do you keep the pace going in romances? Thank you :)

message 2: by NyRee (new)

NyRee Ausler (authornyreeausler) | 2 comments Maybe in addition to the natural conflict, he has a secret that she finds out about (crazy ex-wife, treating employees poorly). She could start investigating the matter or someone dangerous could show up. Unsure how the story ends (love or not) so it depends... If you cannot tell, I love writing drama and action... lol!

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin Daniels | 27 comments NyRee wrote: "Maybe in addition to the natural conflict, he has a secret that she finds out about (crazy ex-wife, treating employees poorly). She could start investigating the matter or someone dangerous could s..."

The ex-wife is actually there because she is still part owner of the chalet so I could do something with that. I can't have him mistreating employees because this is a romance after all lol. But I like your spin. Thanks!

message 4: by Rohvannyn (new)

Rohvannyn Shaw | 189 comments Hm... good question. Maybe the heroine is having trouble with suppliers? Maybe there's an issue getting the right furniture? Maybe her boss is expecting something from her that she can't do, and she isn't sure how to talk to him?/her? Maybe somebody gets hurt or lost and the heroine has to help them in some way? Maybe the boss can't know about the sexy charming man because of some reason? Or once she realizes who he is, she has to keep the relationship secret from her boss?

Or, you could add something totally unrelated, like an odd guest who insists on staying there, and follows her around or stalks her or something? The possibilities are endless and I'm just throwing a few at the wall and seeing what sticks.

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin Daniels | 27 comments Rohvannyn wrote: "Hm... good question. Maybe the heroine is having trouble with suppliers? Maybe there's an issue getting the right furniture? Maybe her boss is expecting something from her that she can't do, and sh..."

Oohh...about 2/3 of these are real gems. It's 12K words so I can't introduce too many layers which is part of the problem. Many thanks.

message 6: by Rohvannyn (new)

Rohvannyn Shaw | 189 comments Erin Lee Daniels wrote: "Rohvannyn wrote: "Hm... good question. Maybe the heroine is having trouble with suppliers? Maybe there's an issue getting the right furniture? Maybe her boss is expecting something from her that sh..."

Well, that's okay then. Still, maybe just one or two.

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin Daniels | 27 comments Rohvannyn wrote: "Erin Lee Daniels wrote: "Rohvannyn wrote: "Hm... good question. Maybe the heroine is having trouble with suppliers? Maybe there's an issue getting the right furniture? Maybe her boss is expecting s..."

Okay! The ex-wife sees the heroine and hero together and keeps the secret to use against her at the right moment. The heroine could lose her job if her boss finds out she slept with a client. But when our sexy billionaire first met our heroine he didn't tell her just who he was. She was so fresh and genuine he didn't want to ruin it by telling her who he was. The ex-wife reveals it at a crucial moment and the heroine runs away in tears, humiliated and hurt by everyone involved. She's convinced she'll be fired. The billionaire realizes his stupid decision could cost him a chance to have a real relationship so he has to convince her to give him a second chance. On his way out of state he decides to fight for her and he has his jet turn around and head back to Colorado.

Yes?

message 8: by Rohvannyn (new)

Rohvannyn Shaw | 189 comments Erin Lee Daniels wrote: "Rohvannyn wrote: "Erin Lee Daniels wrote: "Rohvannyn wrote: "Hm... good question. Maybe the heroine is having trouble with suppliers? Maybe there's an issue getting the right furniture? Maybe her b..."

YES! Love it.

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin Daniels | 27 comments Rohvannyn wrote: "Erin Lee Daniels wrote: "Rohvannyn wrote: "Erin Lee Daniels wrote: "Rohvannyn wrote: "Hm... good question. Maybe the heroine is having trouble with suppliers? Maybe there's an issue getting the rig..."

:)