Historical Fictionistas discussion

Ancient History (Old Threads) > Centuries Winter Challenge 2017- Rules and Questions

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (last edited Feb 09, 2017 06:56AM) (new)

Jasmine | 1180 comments Mod
A request was put out for a winter challenge. With the New Year this challenge will focus on reading through the centuries! Participation is just for fun. Participants will attempt to read a book set in each century, spanning from the 1st century to the 20th century. This challenge will span from February 1st to March 31st. Sign-ups begin January 25, 2017.

RULES:
1) Books must be at least 200 pages long. Eligibility for this is determined by the most popular edition on Goodreads. If the most popular edition is 197 pages, it will not count, even if the edition read is 215 pages.

2) The first book used for the challenge should be started on or after February 1st.

3) Audiobooks are accepted. Page numbers are determined by most popular edition on GoodReads.

4) Book should be historical fiction or nonfiction. Fantasy or like genres will not fulfill the timeline requirements.

5) Participates can join at any time during the challenge.

SCORING / HOW IT WORKS:
1) Upon sign-up each participant will post an empty list of each century spanning from the first century to the twentieth century. This list will be filled in as participants read novels to fulfill each century requirement. (Books do not have to be read in any type of chronological order).
2) Each book that fulfills a century will be counted as 10 points. You can only read one book for each century.

3) Winter theme bonuses: You can claim 5 point bonus for each of the following. You can only claim each bonus once during the challenge. You may only claim one bonus per book.
a. Read a book set in winter.
b. Read a book with a winter scene on the cover.
c. Read a book where one of the author's initials is in the word WINTER.
d. Read a book set in North America.
e. Read a book set in South America.
f. Read a book set in Europe.
g. Read a book set in Africa.
h. Read a book set in Asia.
I. Read a book set in Australia.

4) Book Length Bonus:
Bonus points will be awarded based on the length of each book read, as follows:
200 to 300 pages = 2 bonus points
301 to 500 pages = 4 bonus points
501 to 750 pages = 6 bonus points
751 to 1,000 pages = 8 bonus points
1,000+ = 10 bonus points

A Light Between Oceans
20th Century-10 points
343 pages- 4 points
Bonus I: 5 points
Total: 19 points

Ask questions below.

message 2: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8051 comments I'm in

20th Century
19th Century
18th Century

message 3: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8051 comments But I can't edit and add to my centuries. I'm using the phone app.
Is that a problem?

message 4: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

You would edit when you start reading in the reading list thread. If you aren't able to edit you can just add onto the post and I'll make a list for you and edit it based on what you write.

message 5: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8051 comments Ok. Haven't started reading yet as must wait till 1st Feb

message 6: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8051 comments Thanks

message 7: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8051 comments Are we able to start and post a long book before Feb 1st?

message 8: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Yes. As long as you are less than halfway through it by February 1.

message 9: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8051 comments 19th Century
Victoria the Queen by Julia Baird
752 pp
Started Jan

message 10: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8051 comments I want to read Sapiens: Brief history of humankind by Yuval Noah Havari can this count for 1st Century?

message 11: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Margaret wrote: "I want to read Sapiens: Brief history of humankind by Yuval Noah Havari can this count for 1st Century?"

It sounds like it spans the centuries, so you may use it for one of the centuries it hits on, such as the 1st.

message 12: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8051 comments Thanks

message 13: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2775 comments Would Orphan Train work for this challenge?

message 14: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

I haven't read it. Does at least part of it take place in the 20th century? If so then it will work.

message 15: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2775 comments It takes place 1929-1943 and 2011

message 16: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

That will work

message 17: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2775 comments ok

message 18: by Aurora (new)

Aurora | 63 comments am interested in joining, but how wre centuries designated? For example does first century reffer to 00-99 or 100+?

message 19: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

00-99. If your book spans multiple centuries (for example it takes place from 64 CE to 114 CE) you can choose which century to use it for.