The Grishaverse discussion

General Book Love > Help with SoC

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (shelby_) | 3 comments Hi guys! My name is Laura and I'm from Spain. I want to read six of crows so bad and I've read the first book of the geisha trilogy and it was amazing but my problem is the next. English is my second language and I've been reading a lot of books in English lately but fantasy are really difficult to me to read. So I would like if you could give me some advices before reading SoC and also if you think that reading all the geisha trilogy before would help me. Thank you so much!

message 2: by Yessenia (new)

Yessenia | 3 comments Well you don't have to read the grisha trilogy to understand SoC, there are some mentions of the grisha trilogy in there but you should be okay to read SoC

message 3: by Dan Nikkoli (new)

Dan Nikkoli (danvsoria) | 1 comments Laura wrote: "Hi guys! My name is Laura and I'm from Spain. I want to read six of crows so bad and I've read the first book of the geisha trilogy and it was amazing but my problem is the next. English is my seco..."

My only advice is to keep reading the book as much as possible. If you can do it for one sitting the better! Usually in fantasy, there are lots of events and plot twists happening so sometimes it would be hard to catch up if you don't read them continuously.
Although it doesn't affect the plot of SoC, I still think and recommend that you read the Grisha trilogy if you find reading fantasy books difficult. Once you've read them, you'll easily relate some concepts found in SoC from the Grisha trilogy. (Better be sure than to keep guessing!)
Have fun reading the books!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I personally would recommend that you read the Grisha Trilogy before Six of Crows. It's not mainly for the plot or additional information, but more that I feel like the Trilogy was written a bit more simply than SoC, and it'd help to get you more comfortable with Bardugo's writing. Hope this helps! :-)

message 5: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (shelby_) | 3 comments Okay thank you so much guys! I would read the grisha trilogy first and then I'll read SoC. Maybe it would help me and I need to be patient.I've been reading a lot in English lately but fantasy is really difficult and complex and I know some Spanish people read SoC and they said it's difficult but I need to be patient and prepare myself to keep going with the book

message 6: by Tamar (new)

Tamar | 6 comments i think that SoC was translated to spenish.

1. english is my second language to, and at first it was harfor me to read espacially fantasy because i think the authors "invent" many words but the more i read i manged to figure it out.
2. u can read SoC without the trilogy first, but if u loved the first book i think it's best if you finish those books first. that's what i did

message 7: by Clara (new)

Clara (clary_always) | 1 comments I'm from Spain too, and it's true that reading this book in English is quite difficult, so as the others said, I'd read the Grisha Trilogy first to get used to the world and the writing. Besides, it's better if you read it before the second book, Crooked Kingdom, because in the book there are some things that you probably won't understand if you haven't read the Grisha Trilogy.

message 8: by Anamar (new)

Anamar Jiménez | 2 comments Laura wrote: "Okay thank you so much guys! I would read the grisha trilogy first and then I'll read SoC. Maybe it would help me and I need to be patient.I've been reading a lot in English lately but fantasy is r..."
Algo que te recomendaria sería leer libros non-fiction o cualquier cosa que no tenga tanta fantasía, porque como esos libros tienen su monton de palabras raras xd. Pero eventualmente te vas leyendo así de ficción. El primer libro que yo leí en inglés fue Daughter of Smoke and Bone, y no entendía la mayoría de cosas que estaban pasando pero así me fui xd. El año pasado lo releí y ya entendí todo c: Hace unos días terminé de leer SoC y creo que el inglés estaba más fácil que el de la trilogía Grisha. Pero está bueno que los leas para familiarizarte con el universo :3

message 9: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (shelby_) | 3 comments Puff que libros me recomendarías de non-fiction? Estoy leyendo mucha contemporánea y también he empezado bloodlines que es de vampiros pero no se en que generó estaría. Yo quiero animarme con grisha y luego si eso leer SoC pero me da bastante miedo. La que tú leíste me suena creo que leí el primero de hija de humo y hueso pero no me enganchaba mucho.
Pd: thank you so much everyone! I will try to fin a way to read SoC and CK!

message 10: by Anamar (new)

Anamar Jiménez | 2 comments Los contemporáneos están bien! Podrías leerte los de John Green y Rainbow Rowell que siempre los he visto fáciles, también leí I'll give you the sun que si hay algo es que tiene sus términos artísticos pero que lo veo bien. Una saga de fantasía con un inglés sencillo es Percy Jackson c: Después de que leas y leas todo bien, porque hasta te aprendes los significados de las palabras sin siquiera buscarlos. Mucha suerta :D