J.R.R. Tolkien discussion

The Hobbit, or There and Back Again
The Hobbit > Hobbit Editions (help please) :)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachael (rachaelkatherine) | 1 comments Hi I'm looking into the hobbit for my University essay/presentation and I'm struggling to come over any sites that have information on the released editions and art work (I'm studying Illustration) of the Hobbit.

I was wondering if anyone knew any good sites for the History of the Hobbit Publications preferably with imagery too? Thank you :)

Philip Dodd (philipdodd) | 84 comments Rachael wrote: "Hi I'm looking into the hobbit for my University essay/presentation and I'm struggling to come over any sites that have information on the released editions and art work (I'm studying Illustration)..."

There is a list of English language editions and translated into other languages editions of The Hobbit, complete with book covers, on a site called Tolkien Gateway. Once there, just click The Hobbit and you will find the pages.

tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Main-Page/

Michael | 447 comments Mod
Here's a link to the ISFDB (Internet Speculative Fiction Database) page for The Hobbit. It has an extensive listing of editions and states, where known, who the cover and interior artist is. Whilst it is a user-maintained database, every edit is moderated and there are references as to where the edition information has sourced.

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cg...

message 4: by Wastrel (new) - added it

Wastrel | 13 comments British editions of Tolkien are listed, with pictures, at Tolkien Books if that's any help.

This site also has information about and links to stories about different editions and whatnot - from a collecting point of view but there may be useful info there.

message 6: by A (new) - added it

A | 52 comments Wastrel wrote: "British editions of Tolkien are listed, with pictures, at Tolkien Books if that's any help.

This site also has information about and links to stories about different editions and whatnot - from a ..."

I need to start looking for collectible hardcovers!