Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Review followup protocol?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elisa (new)

Elisa Denk | 5 comments Is there a protocol for the author? A form-type letter?

Three people agreed to read my e-book for free in return, they would post a review.

I sent them the e-book. Have been waiting. Do I send a follow-up of some sort?

What do I do know?

message 2: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Your best option is to do nothing. You can't hold someone to a review as doing so violates Amazon and Goodreads terms of use. If you send a follow up, you may ask if they read your book, but understand that bloggers/reviewers may see this as being pushy and it could backfire.

message 3: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 316 comments I assume that if they didn't post a review, they either haven't read it or didn't like it.

message 4: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
Aye, as a book blogger, I tend to take books off my list if an author contacts me about a review after I agreed to take their book. With over 100 books on my tbr list, it takes awhile.

message 5: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawntice) | 17 comments As a reviewer I love to receive a released reminder. I always immediately review on Goodreads but most of the time that is before it goes on sale, therefore I love to get that reminder so that I can review on the retail site. I too have a lot to read but it, for me, is nice to have a reminder closer to the release date.

message 6: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
Reminder to post to retail is different than "You've had my book for a week now, why isn't it reviewed?"

message 7: by Ben (new)

Ben Jackson | 86 comments Most people give you an approximate timeline in regards to when they should be finished. If it's been a month with no word, send them an email asking how they are, check in to make sure they received the book and hoped that they enjoyed it etc. but don't hound them over it. I have as many people who said they would review my books as actually reviewed them lol!

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Baker be careful what you wish for. they knew on what basis they were getting the e-book - if they have not reviewed - it may not have been their bag. I would go for not sending the reminder.
I've done giveaways on goodreads and recently got my act together - with zero one zero two - to put a note in with the books sent to winners politely requesting a review. I got just one but it was good and well considered on amazon. move on and next time send to different people. maybe check first if its a genre they regularly read??

message 9: by Roughseasinthemed (last edited Jan 24, 2017 10:53PM) (new)

Roughseasinthemed | 60 comments I wouldn't object to a reminder. I get a lot of mails/messages regarding reviews/betas/editing and it's easy to let something slip. A tactfully worded query isn't a problem, but bear in mind as well as forgetfulness, life can also get in the way. A thank you is always nice as well when a review has been done or even just a like on GR or a helpful on Am. For the last review I wrote on GR I note the author hasn't had the courtesy to like it, although four other people have!

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna Adler | 38 comments Roughseasinthemed wrote: "For the last review I wrote on GR I note the author hasn't had the courtesy to like it, although four other people have!"

I'm not the author you're referring to, but I also don't click "like" or "helpful" on the reviews I receive. I thought it was the job of the readers to decide whether the reviews are helpful. I AM grateful for every single review I receive, even the critical ones, I just don't want to look like I meddle in the review process.

message 11: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Roughseasinthemed wrote: "For the last review I wrote on GR I note the author hasn't had the courtesy to like it, although four other people have!"

Authors are not required to like reviews any more than readers are required to review. Remember, the 'no engagement' guideline extends to all actions, not just replying.

Roughseasinthemed | 60 comments @ Anna, Christina, the same author did like all the five star reviews.

Sure they aren't required to like/helpful. But at least we know the author has read it.

message 13: by Anna (last edited Jan 25, 2017 07:58AM) (new)

Anna Adler | 38 comments Roughseasinthemed wrote: "@ Anna, Christina, the same author did like all the five star reviews."

Okay, I see where you're coming from. This group focuses on positivity, so I'll refrain from saying what I think about that author's behavior. I'll just say that I'm glad the readers at least appreciated your honesty. :)

message 14: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Roughseasinthemed wrote: "@ Anna, Christina, the same author did like all the five star reviews.

Sure they aren't required to like/helpful. But at least we know the author has read it."

The thing is some people say that protocol dictates not to like any review, or reply to any review. They state it's for readers and not authors. Some will even say it will scare the reviewers away because they know the author will read the review. Others like you prefer when the author acknowledge it, but the thing is, the authors are always walking on egg shells and they never know when they will have crossed the line by liking or by ignoring. (I have heard a few authors say they don't read their reviews, however, they are few.)

So what is an author to do?

message 15: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

C.B. Archer | 1090 comments Mod
G.G. wrote: "So what is an author to do? "

Nothing! :D
That pretty much sums it up, and I agree.

Especially here. If you have sent books out to get reviews, they are out of your hands, now and forever. Do not dwell on them, least they destroy you

message 16: by Anthony Deeney (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments I would agree with many here.

Do nothing. Reviews will happen anyway.

message 17: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments C.B. wrote: "G.G. wrote: "So what is an author to do? "

Nothing! :D
That pretty much sums it up, and I agree.

Especially here. If you have sent books out to get reviews, they are out of your hands, now and fo..."

Just to clarify, I was replying to Roughseasinthemed about liking a review or not. I would never bug someone I sent a book in the hope I get a review. They review it? Good. They don't? Also good. :P

message 18: by Michael (new)

Michael Lewis (mll1013) | 30 comments G.G. wrote: "Roughseasinthemed wrote: "@ Anna, Christina, the same author did like all the five star reviews.

Sure they aren't required to like/helpful. But at least we know the author has read it."

The thing..."

I read all of my reviews and appreciate every one of them... 1-star and 5-star alike. From the former, I glean what feedback I can; but the latter are always much more enjoyable.

I do not like or comment on any reviews. I also don't solicit reviews from friends or family. I prefer not to skew the results, since that could hide symptoms that need to be addressed.

message 19: by Amie (new)

Amie O'Brien | 280 comments I always thank a reviewer if I can. Whether it's through email, Twitter, or Goodreads. I figure they went the extra mile for me and I want them to know I love that they did so. It's an honor and I honestly appreciate them taking a chance on my characters period.

Some of my most trying days have been followed up by a sweet review. I have even cried before. It's like God knew I needed a little encouragement and he sent someone to deposit it via Amazon ;)

message 20: by Elisa (new)

Elisa Denk | 5 comments Thank you, everyone. You have given me some points to ponder.

message 21: by Joel (new)

Joel Horn (joelhorn) My advise. Do nothing. More than likely they are doing you a favor by NOT writing a review. It may not have been their kind of book. Prompt them to write one and you can likely get a one star review. You really don't want reviews from just anyone, you want reviews from reviewers that read the genre and style you write!
A actually made this mistake soliciting a review. The reviewer said he only reviewed Apocalyptic novels and I told him the sequel had an element of apocalypse to it and he agreed to read both. Big mistake. He reviewed them below average.

message 22: by Elisa (new)

Elisa Denk | 5 comments Ahhhh Joel, that musta hurt!

This is a difficult business to be in......