Our Shared Shelf discussion

JAN/FEB-Vagina Monologues (2017) > I Was There In The Room

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita | 87 comments This was by far my favourite part of this amazing book. It was very raw and powerful. I am a mother and I think that mothers will react to this and be moved in a particular way. Having said that I think that many people, both men and women, will come away after reading this monologue being deeply affected.
I would love to hear your thoughts OSS.

message 2: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra White | 6 comments Hi Anita,

This is actually the monologue I performed when I did this production in undergraduate. I have always loved the raw appreciation of what is so frequently called a disgusting experience.

message 3: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments it was very moving I agree probably the most touching of the Essays.

message 4: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments It was definitely touching, but still, so far, having not finished the book so far, for me, the one monologue that moved me the most was the one referencing rape.

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Matos | 1 comments I am new to this group, And new to this type of literature so this book has been quite an adventure. I'm painfully sensitive and empathic so reading this book, thus far, has been incredibly uncomfortable and painful for me, yet I haven't been able to put it down. While this book has been very emotional and moving, I hadn't cried in a positive way until I read this monologue. It's what makes me feel most connected to this work, and it made me feel powerful and strong and deeply understood. I did all these things- I sacrificed and cried and tore in half and for the first time, I don't just feel glad that I got through it, I feel empowered. Favorite one thus far. :)

message 6: by Anita (new)

Anita | 87 comments Thank you for sharing, Stephanie. I also cried from deep emotion and happiness.

message 7: by Anita (new)

Anita | 87 comments Cassandra, it must have been quite an experience to perform this. It is likely something that will stay with you for a long time.

message 8: by Laure (new)

Laure | 390 comments This monologue was harder for me to read than the one about rape... I don't like what this says about me.

message 9: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Laure wrote: "This monologue was harder for me to read than the one about rape... I don't like what this says about me."

I must say the hardest one for me was the one about rape, followed by the one about the girl who happened to not have a vagina.
I can't understand how you can think of a birth as something else than a bloody issue.