Catholic Lifetime Reading List discussion

Confessions
This topic is about Confessions
Confessions > Confessions

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ashley | 92 comments Mod
Feel free to add thoughts as you go through this classic!

Ashley | 92 comments Mod
When I checked Confessions out from the library, I assumed all publications were basically the same. Wrong...turns out the version I checked out is written in very old English and is really hard for me to follow. This motivated me to look through my box of old books, and guess what! I found a modern english version! I knew I had bought one a long time ago, but I thought it was lost forever. Perhaps the intercession of St. Augustine helped me through this one :-)

I just started today, and I am blown away by how it is simultaneously so simple, but also so deep. I also have to admit I'm finding the chapter about infants pretty funny. I find myself nodding in agreement with all of Augustine's observations about infants. "When they did not serve, I took revenge on them by tears." Cracks me up!

I'm also realizing how ironic it is that we think of people in the first few centuries as so much more primitive and simple than we. But really...things haven't changed that much. Augustine seems to be going through the same difficulties and experiences that so many of us go through. In a way, it's a relief to me. If one of the greatest Saints in history had trouble living a holy life, maybe the rest of us plebians are not so different from he!

Susan | 7 comments Ashley wrote: "When I checked Confessions out from the library, I assumed all publications were basically the same. Wrong...turns out the version I checked out is written in very old English and is really hard fo..."

I've thought of that too sometimes :)

Ashley | 92 comments Mod
I am finding Augustine's description of his mother to be so moving. I always knew she was a holy, devout woman who suffered immensely watching her son stray from the faith. But I never knew the struggles she faced in other areas of her life, especially her marriage. It is inspiring to read how she handled these struggles: with prayer, meekness of heart, and total trust in God's mercy.

Something else I find interesting is how much St. Monica acted to help save her son. I knew she prayed and sacrificed a great deal for him, but I did not know the extent to which she traveled and talked to others about her son. For some reason, I had this image of her staying home all the time and praying. But she did a lot more than that! This shows me that while it is first and foremost important to bring your intentions to God through prayer and sacrifice, it is equally important to act on those prayers when appropriate. Our culture is so worried about offending others that we often pass by opportunites to share our faith or evangalize. St Monica was not afraid to do everything she could to convert her son!

Ashley | 92 comments Mod
Does anyone else notice that the many years Augustine's involvement of Manichaeism seem to seep into is Catholic Christian understanding of theology? I'm getting through the last section of the book (which has required a lot more concentration on my end because it seems to be more dense than the beginning of the book) and I'm finding myself scratching my head to some of the things he says. I'm noticing a trend of "the body is bad, earthly pleasure is bad, etc". Of course, the Catholic Church would agree that an unhealthy attachment to earthly things is not good. But to me it seems that Augustine is going even further than that and saying that any enjoyment of the senses is an obstacle to our relationship with God. Rather, the Church encourages us to look at earthly pleasures, the body, etc as inherently GOOD things, because God created them for us to use and enjoy. Thoughts?

Ashley | 92 comments Mod
Just finished Confessions, and I'm so glad I read it. I have to admit the latter part of the book was more difficult for me to read, and there were parts (especially when he discussed time and what it is) where my mind was being blown. Here I am, thinking about what I'm eating for dinner, and here's St. Augustine, contemplating the depth and meaning of time and how it exists...wow!

Feel free to add your thoughts on the book at any time! This month I'll be reading "I Burned For Your Peace" by Peter Kreeft. It disects the Confessions and I'm really hoping to understand more of it after reading Kreeft's book.

Susan | 7 comments Ashley wrote: "Just finished Confessions, and I'm so glad I read it. I have to admit the latter part of the book was more difficult for me to read, and there were parts (especially when he discussed time and what..."

I didn't hear of Kreeft's book, thanks for the tip.

Ashley | 92 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Just finished Confessions, and I'm so glad I read it. I have to admit the latter part of the book was more difficult for me to read, and there were parts (especially when he discusse..."

No problem! I just started and it's very insightful so far!