NPL's Nordic Crime Online Book Club discussion

Jar City by Arnaldur Indridson > Jar City - Discussion Question 4

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 67 comments 4. How would this story have been different if it were set in Canada instead of Iceland? Would the characters be different? What about this case is particular to Iceland? What's different about an Icelandic murder?

message 2: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Stevenson (feyona13) | 11 comments It depends on where you were in Canada. I grew up in a small town in Ontario and I've lived on Baffin Island in a town of 400 people. I can fully appreciate the interconnectedness of Iceland. Crimes don't happen in isolation, and feel more personal. You would know the killer and the killed, and most people would be shocked that the evil lived right next door. Icelandic life felt very familiar to me, and I thought that you could switch this story to the east coast or Northern Canada quite naturally. My last name is Stevenson, so even the name thing would work.

message 3: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 67 comments Your background (and name!) would make Iceland seem less alien I am sure. To many readers I think Iceland seems really removed from what they know. I watched the series Trapped (set in Iceland) on Netflix after reading this book and thought Trapped used the location really well to add to the storyline.

message 4: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Stevenson (feyona13) | 11 comments Kathryn wrote: "Your background (and name!) would make Iceland seem less alien I am sure. To many readers I think Iceland seems really removed from what they know. I watched the series Trapped (set in Iceland) on ..."

I also watched Trapped, and was reminded of life on Baffin Island also. Loved the series.

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 67 comments I am hoping there will be second season soon.