NPL's Nordic Crime Online Book Club discussion

Jar City by Arnaldur Indridson > Jar City - Discussion Question 3

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 67 comments 3. Erlendur has a history of family difficulties, particularly with his daughter Eva Lind. Do you think that his past helps him as a detective or is it a distraction? What do you think motivates Erlendur, what drives him?

message 2: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Stevenson (feyona13) | 11 comments I think that work is a distraction from his family. He feels successful as a detective, but a failure as a father. Police work is safe ground, and he prefers to live there. His daughter is a reflection of the nightmares he sees on the streets. He knows where her life of addiction will lead, and that is what drives him to find a way to try and reach her again and again. He blames himself for the troubles of his daughter and son, and wants to save them. When he fails at home he is driven more powerfully save the world outside to compensate. He can solve the mystery of a crime. He hasn't figured out the mystery of relationship.

message 3: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 67 comments I wondered about the comparison of the 4 year old girl who dies from the brain tumor who couldn't be saved and his own daughter who he is trying hard to save. Possibly I am reading too much into this...

I think the problems with his family help him as a detective. He is always trying to solve things at work and at home.