NPL's Nordic Crime Online Book Club discussion

Jar City (Inspector Erlendur, #3)
This topic is about Jar City
Jar City by Arnaldur Indridson > Jar City - Discussion Question 1

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (last edited Jan 24, 2017 09:17AM) (new)

Kathryn | 67 comments 1. What did you think of this book? How does it compare to other Nordic crime books?

Fiona Stevenson (feyona13) | 11 comments I found the book a bit predictable, and I read it so quickly it felt a bit like fast food. None of the characters have really stuck with me (it's almost a month since I finished it).
I haven't read any of the other books in this club, but I've been reading the Wallander series. I found Mankell's books characters richer, and the stories more engaging.

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 24 comments It was difficult for me to keep my concentration while reading this story. The characters did not appeal to me nor did the story line.
In fact, I stopped reading it part way through.
Am looking forward to the next book.

Fiona Stevenson (feyona13) | 11 comments Barbara wrote: "It was difficult for me to keep my concentration while reading this story. The characters did not appeal to me nor did the story line.
In fact, I stopped reading it part way through.
Am looking for..."

I agree! I felt like the characters lacked dimension.

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 67 comments Yes I agree with predictable. I found this book well-written but I did find that at the beginning it was easy to put it down. Seems to be a really understated Nordic crime novel. To have the murder scene as a living room and the murder weapon an ashtray seemed very prosaic.

message 6: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen | 9 comments I found this book a lot more bleak than a few others we have read that seemed to have a touch of humour in spots. The whole thing seemed rather gloomy. Unlike Adler-Olsen and Sigurdardottir's books I did not feel inspired to read any more of his works.

message 7: by Steven (new)

Steven Wood | 3 comments I found it interesting to hear about a database of the entire country's genetic information. I know of a person that had neurofiromatosis - a horrible disorder. It was a surprising connection.

message 8: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 67 comments It did sound like a horrible disorder. The database of genetic information was an interesting part of the story especially as the book was published in 2000. Not sure when home-DNA kits became widely available, but have heard of people discovering irregularities in their family tree.