Red Mars (Mars Trilogy, #1) Red Mars discussion

red mars comment

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mathilde (new)

Mathilde I started this book 2 weeks later i think and i really enjoy it! It's in english so it's a little bit complicated at the beginning but after a while you read it like it's in french. Btw there are 2 books after this one.

Illona I used to read horror books but decided to give up the scary books for science fiction.

I read Frank Herbert, starting out with Dune, liked it so much I kept reading the series and really missed the characters when I finished reading them (available in French).

Isaac Asimov seemed challenging, I started out with Foundation series and loved it, I enjoyed many other of his books, but I also enjoyed the Robot City series (many of his books available in French).

I wish more people wrote Sci-Fi, there is the Afrofuturism movement, looking forward to those works.

I started reading Kim Stanley Robinson Mars Trilogy, he mixes science and current affairs, also not only the people but the planet are rich characters. The TVshow the Expanse focuses more on power struggles than on community building (looks like these are also available in French).

John Have you read Rene Barjavel, whom I believe is a French author. I've read THE ICE PEOPLE (reminiscent of Wilbur Smith's The Sunbird, or some of Edgar Rice Burroughs's works) and THE IMMORTALS (puts an interesting spin on the Kennedy assassination...) Both very entertaining.

For a more modern writer, R. Muloch's six-volume MYRIAD series is one of the most original premises I've encountered recently, and it goes to places you won't expect.

greenwolffe I finished the 1st book, Red Mars, and rather enjoyed it. Got bogged down midway through the 2nd, Green Mars - too much political intrigue, so never got to Book 3, Blue Mars. May return to give it all another go... when and if.

Wayne Oldroyd I pretty much read anything that Kim Stanley Robinson writes. I would recommend NY 2140. The background of the eco-disaster of climate change can twist your gut a bit much to real. It provides a intriguing background for several plot lines. – Speculative economies, social inequities, treasure hunt, love story.

Cheryl Grant If you like these try Alistair Reynolds or Iain M Banks

Wayne Oldroyd greenwolffe wrote: "I finished the 1st book, Red Mars, and rather enjoyed it. Got bogged down midway through the 2nd, Green Mars - too much political intrigue, so never got to Book 3, Blue Mars. May return to give it ..."

I had a similar experience, I really appreciate Robinson as an author but her attention to detail can get discouraging. Frankly, I wouldn't return to the series. Maybe try 40 Signs of Rain Forty Signs of Rain (Science in the Capital #1) by Kim Stanley Robinson if you want stories wrapped around climate change and ecological sustainability then Kim is your man