The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Winter's Heart (The Wheel of Time, #9)
This topic is about Winter's Heart
Wheel of Time > WH: Part 10 (Chapters 32-End)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bill | 1596 comments Part 10

Please keep all discussion and speculation to the events of Part 10 (Chapters 32-End).

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling this for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss events from later chapters/books. Referring back to events from a previous section/book is fine.

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Man that ending was great.

First Padan Fain shows up, Rand and Lan get captured, and then Cadsuane has to bluff her way out.

I was also really confused for awhile because Flinn is no longer Flinn, he's Damer (his first name) to Cadsuane and her crew. It makes a lot more sense how one of the Ashaman figured out how heal stilling. Flinn is probably the best healer among the Ashaman that we've seen.

Rand and Nyneave heal the taint from Saidin. Both pass out after. Shadow Logeth is no more as a side effect.

The Forsaken come out in droves. It appears Cyndane is likely the reincarnation of Lanfear because he seems pretty obsessed with Rand.

Dashiva was also apparently a Forsaken in disguise. He apparently created the Trollocs and Myrddraal. He gets killed by a Black Sister, who thinks he's simply an Ashaman, because she believes Rand needs to live for the last battle for some reason.

Overall I enjoyed this book a lot more on the reread than I did the first time. I found the start very slow, in particular Elayne and Perrin's parts. I loved all of Mat's storyline, and I'm looking forward to the stuff with Tuon.

Sadly the next book is pretty universally considered the worst book in the series. I'm hoping doing it in audio will help. Luckily the last 4 books are all really great IMHO.

I'm likely the first one done, but when did you guys want to do book 10? I can start it soonish, otherwise I'll have to wait until early/mid March with some other audio reads coming up at the end of the Month.

Bill | 1596 comments The ending was fantastic. I loved the way he handled the individual forsaken appearing and how he switched between all the different perspectives of the combatants.

Dashiva turning out to be a forsaken was a surprise especially since I think it was the first and likely last time we heard about that particular one. Don't even remember his name. It's cool that we are finding out that a good portion of the forsaken were chosen for things other than their power. It makes them more interesting rather than them just being strong in the power.

I should have my current audio book done today so can start whenever works for you guys. I have a few other audiobooks but can work them around book 10. Getting so excited to wrap this series up and see how everything resolves.

message 4: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill wrote: "Dashiva turning out to be a forsaken was a surprise especially since I think it was the first and likely last time we heard about that particular one.."

It's actually not, but I'm not sure if that's revealed later or so subtle that I missed it both times. It gets very confusing as some of them go by several names over the course of the series.

message 5: by Bill (last edited Feb 08, 2017 03:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 1596 comments Went back to check and it was Osangar. Was that one of the forsaken that was previously killed and brought back?

message 6: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yes. One of the two in the first book at the eye of the world.

Bill | 1596 comments Cool thanks.

message 8: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

So, either I start the next book today, or I wait until next month (say around 3/6 or so). I'm fine either way, I just need to know soonish since I just finished my current audio book this morning.

Thoughts?

Bill | 1596 comments I'm good with today. I know Sumant has a ways to go with this book but I'm really anxious to continue.

message 10: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

OK. I'll start today then.

message 11: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill | 1596 comments Cool. Will add threads tonight.

Sumant | 522 comments The last few chapters made this book an 2 star book for me, I was reminded how good Jordan can write when he gives up on loop back dialogue and uninteresting characters.

So Rand finally decides to clean taint from saidin and he uses keys to hook up with huge sa angreal we saw in previous books, he also links with Nyaneve.

He weaves an pipe of sort and directs all the taint towards shadar logoth destroying it completely in the process.

The forsaken jump on him like rats and from their switching povs it is revealed that lanfear was resurrected as I guessed correctly as cyndene.

Also was Dashiva Osangar?

Sumant | 522 comments I think Dashiva was Demandred.

message 14: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sumant wrote: "The last few chapters made this book an 2 star book for me, I was reminded how good Jordan can write when he gives up on loop back dialogue and uninteresting characters.."

I like how you took stars off the book because the ending was so good. Although to be fair, I gave this book 2 stars on my first read through as well.

Sumant wrote: "I think Dashiva was Demandred."

Nope. You had it right the first time. He was Osangar. And Osangar isn't the same as Demandred.