The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Winter's Heart (The Wheel of Time, #9)
This topic is about Winter's Heart
Wheel of Time > WH: Part 6 (Chapters 15-18)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bill | 1596 comments Part 6

Please keep all discussion and speculation to the events of Part 6 (Chapters 15-18).

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling this for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss events from later chapters/books. Referring back to events from a previous section/book is fine.

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Finally Mat shows up! I wasn't sure if he was in this book or not, and was starting to have my doubts.

More importantly we finally meet The Daughter of the Nine Moons. And so does Mat, although he doesn't know it yet.

Oh and the Golem is still hanging around Ebou Dar. Mat has a run-in with him, and is saved by older man named Noal Charin.

Bill | 1596 comments Mat's interactions with the queen are pretty funny considering how he has treated women so far in the series. Wonder if Mat will be able to bring the Seanchan on to Rand's side without too much more conflict.

The Golem is more impressive than the forsaken imo. I wonder if he is a creation of Saidar and that's why Mat's amulet effects him.

message 4: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yeah, I can't recall if it's ever explained why the Golem is effected by Mat's amulet. If it is, I don't remember. Seems like a good theory though.

Sumant | 522 comments Ya looks like everyone has managed to survive the seanchan invasion.

Mat is a plaything for the queen and the daughter of nine moons has also shown up.

Man I am really tired of tedious dialogue going on in the book.

message 6: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

By this point of the book I was really enjoying it. I don't recall any tedious dialogue after the early parts. I will say I enjoyed it a lot more in audio than reading it though. So maybe that's the difference.

Sumant | 522 comments I am doing it in audio too, but I find myself going to sleep often while listening to book.

Also there just too many side characters right now in the story.

message 8: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ah. Then I don't know. I definitely liked this book less the first time than on the reread.

I will say that 9 and 10 are the weakest of the series IMHO and the end of 10 is REALLY good IIRC, and that continues through the rest of the series.

It's hard to say: "well just plow on through these 2 800+ page/20+ hour books to get back to the good stuff", but at the same time, you've come this far already.

Bill | 1596 comments I actually really enjoyed this whole book. I hate falling asleep to audiobooks. I always have such a hard time figuring out where I left off.

message 10: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (last edited Feb 10, 2017 07:59AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I enjoyed most of it, and bumped my rating from a 2 to a 3, but I found the first few sections of the book slow compared to the rest.