Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

Shout It Out! Self- Promotions > What is a street team and how do I get on one...

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carole (last edited Jan 23, 2017 05:13PM) (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4588 comments Mod
I read about the term street teams on another thread. What are they and how do they work? They sound like it puts your book straight into the public's hands.

message 2: by R.L. (new)

R.L. Jackson (authorrljackson) | 856 comments Mod
Typically it's a team of people that you work with where one will do all social media or stick to one kind, someone else will contact local business or bookstores in our case to arrange a signing, someone else does something else like maybe handing out bookmarks or books etc. I've used them in the past for another business. They can be a headache but useful if you get the right motivated people involved.

message 3: by Carole (last edited Jan 23, 2017 05:18PM) (new)

Are they professional? Is it worked as an exchange? How do you find them?

message 4: by R.L. (new)

You basically ask your fans or people you know. People who want to help

message 5: by R.L. (new)

Professionals would be best but most people use fans. And in the movie I did this for they got an autograph or a phone call from one of the actors. Just depends

message 6: by Carole (new)

What a great idea. Did you see any impact on whatever you were promoting?

message 7: by Carole (new)

I was telling the other person who mentioned it I was picturing Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp (a la 21 Jumpstreet) running around and giving out books on the street. hahaha

message 8: by R.L. (new)

Oh yeah we did it for followers on twitter and the kickstarter campaign. You just have to have a goal in mind and the right motivates folks

message 9: by Carole (new)

I have to think about this a bit. I like it.

message 10: by R.L. (new)

Yeah I've thought about it but until I get fans.....lol

message 11: by Carole (new)

It's really fascinating. I have to read a bit more. Thanks Avery and RL. I wonder if we could set up our own books launch team- like you know, in the old days they had a barn raising and everybody went in to help build the barn. Nobody could afford to build it on their own, so neighbors pitched in together. I wonder if it's doable-

message 12: by R.L. (new)

It'd def be something worth trying. Imagine if all the members were the street team for one book for even 3days? That's a huge impact that could help many authors

message 13: by Carole (new)

So essentially you ask people to promote your book by word of mouth, to actively promote it? Mostly on social media? If that's it, I think that's what Julie did on Facebook- she would have these parties and ask people to spread the word. She made a game out of it, awarding prizes to people who shared the posts.(signed books, gift card- that kind of thing- it brought a lot of reviews too.)
Hey, btw, mother's have amazing abilities to influence people!!! I'm my son's number one promotor and he has more fans on Facebook than I do.lol.

message 14: by R.L. (new)

Yup and with a team of dolls doing that and other unique things the impact is larger

message 15: by R.L. (new)

People not dolls lol

message 16: by Carole (new)

I would call anyone a doll who pushes our books. So, it's what we are trying to do here kind of like on steroids. Yep, yep, Julie did do that on Michael's Facebook page. We generally push his books more. I have a different audience- homeschoolers.
I see just how effective that would be. She built his page to like 16 or 17000 people by doing that. Amazon, I never realized. His page is quiet right now- he hasn't had a release in a year, but in the height of promotion- that was exactly how she did it.

message 17: by Carole (new)

That's a great way to stir up interest about your book. I would look for sport's mom and soccer mom blogs and pitch it to them with a giveaway- (maybe a signed hockey puck? )

message 18: by Carole (new)

Plenty to do that just involve searching and writing people!!

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Peacock-Smith | 9 comments Is a Street team different to a Launch Team? I had a launch team for my first book and am setting up the new one now for the next book.

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Peacock-Smith | 9 comments Thanks

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Peacock-Smith | 9 comments I opened a closed group on Facebook (this is my new one here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/17953...), then I sent a link to it via email to everyone I know who COULD be interested and explained to them what it was. I also put the link on my blog, my Author Facebook Page and my personal Facebook. I also put it on a few authory groups that I belong to. About 40 people joined which was great. You don't need to give free stuff away as most of these are people you know. Many have never done anything like this and are simply interested in the process or in me/you as their friend.

It worked quite well, but I am going to do it a little a differently this time and be more organized LOL. The idea is that they get excited about your progress etc and then when the book launches they share it on their own social media. So the trick is to have people who actually use social media of one kind or another. Even better if the read books LOL

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Peacock-Smith | 9 comments I started this new group about an hour ago and I am already up to 6 members. I am aiming for much higher numbers this time and will be sharing my journey as a "thank you" (so rather than give away free stuff, I am giving away my learnings from the process). It is a win/win I think :)

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Peacock-Smith | 9 comments I don't think that you are alone, first books are babies LOL and we have little idea of what we are doing. Second books we can do things differently but with purpose :)

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Peacock-Smith | 9 comments Please feel free to join my team and not have to do anything. You might pick up some tips along the way as there will be a quite a few authors on there and all Indie :) No pressure at all.

message 25: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 244 comments A street team is a group of people who will buy your works and promote them no questions asked. They are great to have but you really need to know people and be killing it as a salesperson to get one.

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Peacock-Smith | 9 comments Good point Justin, it definitly needs to be a group of people happy to support another without kickbacks. The irony is that being part of other people's teams does ultimately provide kickbacks as you become well known as a good supporter and so when it is your turn to need help people come running. But it does need to be genuine and build over time, it is not a "set and forget" thing.

message 27: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Peacock-Smith | 9 comments Avery wrote: "Joined with my real name. You should be able to recognize me from the pictures :D"

Saw you there, thanks, I hope that you get a lot out of the process and I can help you in some way :)

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread