CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2017 Weekly Threads > Week 4- "Hello! My Name Is..."

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 732 comments Mod
The popular action movie "Die Hard" was based on Roderick Thorp's book Nothing Lasts Forever. The movie has proven more popular than the book.

Do you know which country has received the most Nobel Prizes in Literature? Take a guess here.

I realized that we have a lot of new faces on our Goodreads group! Welcome, everyone! I thought it would be a good idea for all of us to introduce ourselves. Nothing fancy- your name, favorite book/genre, and anything else you'd like to add.

I'll go first.

Hi! I'm Joanna. I'm one of the moderators for the 52 Book Pickup. I've been reading books as far back as I can remember and the library has always been my one stop shop for all things literary. I'll read any book if it's good (which is subjective) but my personal favorites are anything by Tolkien, Pride and Prejudice, and Crown Duel.

I'm so happy to be tackling this challenge with you all and I look forward to the next 11 months of talking books.

The Silmarillion (Middle-Earth Universe) by J.R.R. Tolkien The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3) by J.R.R. Tolkien Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen Crown Duel (Crown & Court #1-2) by Sherwood Smith

message 2: by Nichelle (new)

Nichelle | 14 comments Hi, my name is Nichelle. This will be my first year participating in this challenge. I work for a library system but I am also an avid reader.

message 3: by Lyn (new)

Lyn | 53 comments My name is Linda,I choose to go by Lyn,which is the last three letters
of the area where I grew up,Brooklyn (NY) I've been a card holder since age 10, I read all types of books, well except Sci Fi and vampire themed books

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 464 comments My name is Ann, and I work for this library system. According to my mom, I got my first library card when I was 4. What I don't remember are very many trips to the library, so I became a big fan of rereading books (I also learned to read pretty much anything. My personal favorites are anything by Tolkien, Sense & Sensibility, and mysteries set in or around WWI.
And I love talking books. :)
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Mary Russell, #1) by Laurie R. King Mr. Churchill's Secretary (Maggie Hope Mystery, #1) by Susan Elia MacNeal Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1) by Jacqueline Winspear Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1) by Kerry Greenwood

message 5: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nmillerche) | 27 comments My name is Nathan. I'm a big fan of graphic novels, science fiction, and some drama, as well as some heavier nonfiction, usually depending on whatever projects I have going on. I'm an engineer, but spent a decade prior working for a research library.

Leviathan Wakes (Expanse, #1) Bajo la misma estrella The Medical Messiahs: A Social History Of Health Quackery In Twentieth Century America Shadows of the Empire (Star Wars)

message 6: by J (new)

J (luckyladyvabch) | 177 comments Mod
Hello! My name is Jennifer and I am a moderator for this group. I run one of the mini challenges.

I love reading - I will read pretty much anything. My favorite author is VC Andrews (before she died but I still read anything with her name on it). My favorite genres are Romance and pretty much anything in YA/Teen fantasy, sci-fi, and dystopians.

message 7: by Joanna (last edited Jan 28, 2017 11:09AM) (new)

Nichelle wrote: "Hi, my name is Nichelle. This will be my first year participating in this challenge. I work for a library system but I am also an avid reader."

Welcome, Nichelle! We are so happy to have you joining us this year. What library system do you work for? I'd love to hear what led you to working for a library.

Lyn wrote: "My name is Linda, I choose to go by Lyn, which is the last three letters of the area where I grew up, Brooklyn (NY) I've been a card holder since age 10, I read all types of books, well except Sci Fi ..."

Hello, Lyn! It's wonderful to see you back again. I've never been to Brooklyn- that's so neat that you take your name from there. What was your library like in your hometown?

Ann wrote: "My name is Ann, and I work for this library system. According to my mom, I got my first library card when I was 4. What I don't remember are very many trips to the library, so I became a big fan of..."

Hi, Ann! Thrilled you are joining us again for the challenge. We need to talk Tolkien sometime. :)

Nathan wrote: "My name is Nathan. I'm a big fan of graphic novels, science fiction, and some drama, as well as some heavier nonfiction, usually depending on whatever projects I have going on. I'm an engineer, but..."

Hello, Nathan! So happy to have you back this year with us. Working in a research library sounds exciting! What was it like?

Jennifer wrote: "Hello! My name is Jennifer and I am a moderator for this group. I run one of the mini challenges."

Hi, Jennifer! So happy you are still doing this with me! :)

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 58 comments My name is Melissa, and I've loved reading since I was a little kid. I will read just about anything, but I'm particularly interested in fantasy and science fiction at this point in my life. I have three children between the ages of 7 and 15, so I also read books that interest them. I am currently an elementary school reading teacher, and I just got hired to work as a page for the library part time.

message 9: by Angela (new)

Angela | 5 comments Hi, I'm Angie. I just moved from Michigan to Chesapeake, so this is my first year in the challenge also. I am originally from New Zealand, where I grew up sitting in the yard, the park, the library etc reading. I loved Tolkien as a child and still do, and it was amazing to see where his stories were brought to life when we were home last year. Ever since I was a child I believed that I would get to meet Roald Dahl, but sadly never got the chance. I have a 14 year old daughter who is often found in the garden reading. I read any genre but especially like mystery and true crime.

message 10: by Kayzee (new)

Kayzee | 69 comments I'm Kristen (or Kayzee). I found out about the CPL 52 late this past Summer so this will be my first year actually trying the challenge. I'm certainly a big fan of comics and graphic novels but in terms of novels I tend to lean towards literary fiction, sci-fi, and horror. My favorite book is Geek Love by Katherine Dunn and I've been attempting a tradition of reading it once a year during March (the month it was published as well as my birth month).

message 11: by Joanna (new)

Melissa wrote: "My name is Melissa, and I've loved reading since I was a little kid. I will read just about anything, but I'm particularly interested in fantasy and science fiction at this point in my life. I have..."

Hello, Melissa! And welcome to CPL! We're so happy to have you onboard. What is it like being a reading teacher? My mind thinks reading to kids all day, but I'm sure it is more than that. Do you have a particular favorite fantasy/science fiction book?

Angela wrote: "Hi, I'm Angie. I just moved from Michigan to Chesapeake, so this is my first year in the challenge also. I am originally from New Zealand, where I grew up sitting in the yard, the park, the library..."

Welcome, Angie! And welcome to Chesapeake! If you need any information about our fair city, please don't hesitate to ask. That is so cool that you are from New Zealand! I have always wanted to go there, mainly because of Lord of the Rings. It is a beautiful country. Is there any particular place at home that is your favorite, whether LotR related or not?

Kayzee wrote: "I'm Kristen (or Kayzee). I found out about the CPL 52 late this past Summer so this will be my first year actually trying the challenge. I'm certainly a big fan of comics and graphic novels but in ..."

Welcome, Kayzee! We're so glad to have you participating this year. That's awesome that you have a re-reading tradition with Geek Love. Some books are worth yearly reads. Do you have any particular comic/graphic novel series you like?

message 12: by Kayzee (new)

Kayzee | 69 comments Joanna wrote: "Welcome, Kayzee! We're so glad to have you participating this year. That's awesome that you have a re-reading tradition with Geek Love. Some books are worth yearly reads. Do you have any particular comic/graphic novel series you like? ."

Current series that I keep up with (though I'm still a little behind) are Saga, Bitch Planet, Rachel Rising (or anything by Terry Moore really) and The Walking Dead. Elfquest was one of the first comics I ever read and as far as mainstream goes I tend to lean towards Marvel (especially Ms. Marvel) than DC. I'll still pick up a manga every now and then.

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie | 130 comments Hi, I'm Julie (waves). I've done the challenge the last couple of years. Last year I didn't quite achieve my goal because I was pregnant, which had its own challenges. Fast forward to now and my baby boy was born January 16!!

I love to read, and really enjoy audio books too. I think this may be the year of the audio books for me. I will read just about anything, but fantasy is probably my favorite.

message 14: by Lyn (new)

Lyn | 53 comments JoAnna
In the borough of Brooklyn,our library,was in an area called Grand Army Plaza,it was the main branch.it was quite a trek back then,all up hill,well the area was called Park Slope for a reason I guess.It was a tall building with lots of steps,there were lots of choices in books.
I probably wouldn't recognize the area now,both the library area and just in general,where the Barclay center is now,back growing up that area was an open air Fulton fish market,gee how times chance.I haven't been back in that area since Sept.1963

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 58 comments Joanna wrote: "Melissa wrote: "My name is Melissa, and I've loved reading since I was a little kid. I will read just about anything, but I'm particularly interested in fantasy and science fiction at this point in..."

Joanna-I wish being a reading teacher meant that I got to just read books to children all day, but it doesn't. However, I do recommend books to my students and the teachers that I know will interest them. My job consists of using data to see where the students are lacking in their reading knowledge and skills and teaching small groups of students with similar difficulties to use reading strategies, help them grow their sight word recognition, and increase their vocabulary. Currently I work with students in Kindergarten through 2nd grade at a local public primary school.

I love any type of science fiction or fantasy. I listen to many series on audiobook through the digital apps provided by the library on my phone. Right now I'm rereading(listening to Jim Dale) the Harry Potter series with my youngest daughter, reading the paper version of Sixth Grave on the Edge by Darynda Jones, and buddy reading Story Thieves by James Riley with my two youngest daughters. My favorite series growing up was A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle, but that was not good on audio. Sadly, some authors should not record their own books. I did enjoy the graphic novel though. I'm a big fan of Neil Gaiman, Robert Jordan, Jim Butcher, Rachel Caine, Raina Telegemeier, Stephanie Meyer, Melissa DeLaCruz, David Eddings, Janet Evanovich, C.S. Lewis, and Charlaine Harris. As you can see, my taste in books is all over the place. If it weren't for Goodreads, I don't know how I would keep track.

I hope at some point I'll get to meet you in person, Joanna, now that I started working at the library as well. I had been working on my Masters Degree to become a school librarian, but I think I'd like to get my LMS instead at some point.

message 16: by Joanna (new)

Kayzee wrote: "Joanna wrote: "Welcome, Kayzee! We're so glad to have you participating this year. That's awesome that you have a re-reading tradition with Geek Love. Some books are worth yearly reads. Do you have..."

See, we're opposites- I'm a DC girl. Though, I do like Marvel and Ms. Marvel has been such a great series. One day, I will get around to reading all of Saga. So many great series- it really is hard to keep up.

Julie wrote: "Hi, I'm Julie (waves). I've done the challenge the last couple of years. Last year I didn't quite achieve my goal because I was pregnant, which had its own challenges. Fast forward to now and my ba..."

Hello, Julie!! *waves back* I'm so happy to have you back for another year. Congratulations on your baby boy!!! That is so wonderful. Hope you and him are doing well.

Lyn wrote: "JoAnna In the borough of Brooklyn,our library,was in an area called Grand Army Plaza,it was the main branch.it was quite a trek back then,all up hill,well the area was called Park Slope for a reaso..."

Your hometown library sounds a bit like my hometown library- all uphill. But all that really matters is the books, right? Climbing hills is worth it for those. Maybe one day you'll get to go back and visit.

Melissa wrote: "Joanna-I wish being a reading teacher meant that I got to just read books to children all day, but it doesn't. However, I do recommend books to my students and the teachers that I know will interest them. My job consists ..."

That's really amazing. I definitely wouldn't have the patience to do it, but I know it's so important for kids to have a good reading foundation. Thanks for sharing what you do!

I think it's good having book tastes that are all over the place- it helps with reader's advisory. I love Rachel Caine. Have you read her Great Library series? It's so good.

Yes! Definitely. If I don't run into you before, I will come find you at staff day on March 17th.

message 17: by Jodie (new)

Jodie Reha Hello everyone, my name is Jodie and I do cataloging and other technical services work for this library system. I have been here 17 years, both with the library system and in Virginia. I moved here for love! :) I grew up and lived in New Jersey (no New Jersey jokes, please!) I have always loved to read , since my mom first took us to the library, which was a small room in the police station of our town. The first book I ever checked out was Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm. My favorite all-time novels are Stephen King's The Stand (best book of good vs. evil ever!) and Anne Rivers Siddons' Peachtree Road (I burst into tears at the end of this; if you've read it, you'll understand..) I participated in 52 book pickup a couple years ago and decided to do it again!

message 18: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Hurst (bookrdr) | 279 comments Hi everyone! My name is Ingrid. I've been reading since I was three years old and I remember being allowed to walk to the library alone, when I was eight years old, and being able to check out my own books!
I have been to libraries all over the United States and even in Sweden. We moved a lot with the military! I loved one of the libraries that was in an old church in a small town where we lived.
This will be my third or fourth time in the library challenge. How many years has it been around? LOL.
I love reading sci-fi and teen apocalyptic books, but I also read lots of other things as well.

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 58 comments Joanna wrote: "Melissa wrote: "My name is Melissa, and I've loved reading since I was a little kid. I will read just about anything, but I'm particularly interested in fantasy and science fiction at this point in..."

Joanna,
I have read Rachel Caine's other series, but I haven't started the Great Library series, yet. It's on my To-Read Goodreads shelf. I have a family wedding to attend out of state, so I won't be at the Staff Training in March, but I'm sure I'll run into you at some point.