The Giver 2017 discussion

Post 3: Chapters 12-17

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What moods has the book created for you so far? Why did you feel that way? Was the author trying to create this mood for you? If so, then how did he/she do it? If not, what made you feel this way?

message 2: by Veronica (new)

Veronica The book makes me grateful for our world and that each of us is unique and has special traits that help brighten life.

message 3: by Adeline (new)

Adeline | 7 comments The mood the book has created is a little sad. The author states, "Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories... He wanted his childhood again". (Lowry 152). Jonas was sad and didn't like what he was doing. It also showes that Jonas is sad because his friendships are all falling apart. It states,"'You ruined it.' Asher said in a irritated voice" (Lowry 168). Yes, I think the author tried to create that mood. He did it by telling Jonas's feelings.

message 4: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Roberts | 7 comments The mood created though out the story that I have mostly encountered was curiosity;Though out the chapters when Jonas has met the giver and he has been assign the new receiver as in be trained to know the like s of being the giver. When Jonas was told that the giver can transport his memories of the world and the other generations an that cause curiosity between Jonas and the abilities he can inherit as the giver;The giver asked Jonas would like the feel of snow something his generation has not encountered in there seasons and when Jonas realize that the giver knows things that happened sentries ago but cannot share with other people but himself.

message 5: by Princess (new)

Princess | 3 comments The mood the book created for me so far is, it makes me feel frustrating. Because jonas's life was not good,like he was the only one who could see things that the only people won't see. i known this because in the on page 95 it says..." You have the capacity to see beyond''. That shows that jonas's could see things far away. Also on page 105 the texts states ''jonas was shocked''.that tells that he was shocked about what was going on.

NoHaxJustDiamond | 6 comments The mood it created for me is suspicious, what happens to people when they get released? and why is The Giver giving so much of his old memories to Jonas? There are a lot of questions that went unanswered in The Giver.

NoHaxJustDiamond | 6 comments Princess wrote: "The mood the book created for me so far is, it makes me feel frustrating. Because jonas's life was not good,like he was the only one who could see things that the only people won't see. i known thi..." Same for me, i'm always so dang frustrated when i want answers on the book, but it doesn't give you any.

message 8: by Pearson (new)

Pearson Martin | 7 comments The mood that the book created so far for me is suspense. I felt this way because there has been so many chapters where you think something is gonna happen but nothing does. I do feel like the author was trying to create this mood. There is times in the book where I feel something suspicious is happen but I do not know for sure. I think it is suspenseful when Jonas's dad says "The twins are being born tomorrow, and the test results show they are identical". "One for here, one for Elsewhere" (Lowry, 136). The author is trying to create suspense by making the reader feel like Jonas's dad is holding something back. I felt that the father was holding a lot of information back as to where the other twin actually goes. After I read this I felt the book was suspenseful.

message 9: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Scott | 8 comments the mood so far is sad because Jonas has realized how bad and controlled his world is. and all of the emotions (lowry 105). I also think that Jonas and the giver are going to do some thing about it. like try and giver the emotions and the memories to the people.

message 10: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Scott | 8 comments I agree with Adeline i think that the author did try to make the mood of the giver like the way it is. sad, suspenseful and scary.

message 11: by Tram (last edited Feb 15, 2017 10:24AM) (new)

Tram | 8 comments Throughout the story Lois Lowry creates a mood of curiosity and creates it by hiding specific details. I felt this way because every paged turn, you couldn't help but wonder what's gonna happen next. For example, during the Ceremony of Twelve everybody in the group had their name called except one, Jonas. ""Twenty," he heard her voice say clearly. "Pierre." She skipped me, Jonas thought, stunned. Had he heard wrong? No. There was a sudden hush in the crowd, and he knew that the entire community realized that the Chief Elder had moved from Eighteen to twenty, leaving a gap........... The numbers continued in order. Jonas sat, dazed, as they moved into the Thirties and then the Forties, nearing the end.” (Lowry 57). After I read this, I felt as if it was impossible to put the book down.

message 12: by Maielsawy (new)

Maielsawy | 4 comments The mood that the book created for me so far is thankful I felt that way because in the book they don't get to choose there jobs or who they marry or what they wear or who there children will be and they can't see colors they don't have any choices to make I feel thankful because I can basically get to choose who to marry what job I want and what to wear i make all my choices no one else gets to make it for me.

message 13: by Mallory (new)

Mallory Meyer | 8 comments The book has created for me a mood of curiosity. The mood curiosity comes to me because you're always wondering what will happen next. I do believe the author was trying to create this mood for the reader. At the end of chapter 10 it says, “I am going to transmit the memory of snow,” then the Giver places his hands on Jonas’s bare back(Lowry 76). It is very interesting what the Giver tells Jonas because it makes you very curious of how he would transfer the memories. I feel the author used very interesting sentences you usually would not hear to keep you in that curious mood of what will happen next.

message 14: by Mallory (new)

Mallory Meyer | 8 comments Tram wrote: "Throughout the story Lois Lowry creates a mood of curiosity and creates it by hiding specific details. I felt this way because every paged turn, you couldn't help but wonder what's gonna happen nex..."

I agree that the mood was curiosity because she keeps you so interested of what is going to happen next. The way she makes you turn the page because the book is so mesmerizing.

message 15: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Sullivan | 8 comments The book, The Giver gives me a sad mood. I feel that way, because the people do not get to enjoy the many things we do. They do not get to feel the warmness of the sun, see beautiful things in color, know what love feels like, and see a snowfall and play in snow. “It was the colors that fascinated him” (Lowry 91). When Jonas saw colors they fascinated him because they do not see color. There are bad things that happen in our world that do not in theirs, but there are so many good things that they do not get to experience. If I lived in their world it would be so boring because they do not get to experience things we do. I think the author did try to create this mood. I think she wanted us to be grateful for our lives and everything we can do by contrasting it with a boring life where they do not get to do what we can.

message 16: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Roberts | 7 comments I agree because every sense Jonas was assign his job he's been curios on why he has the job and why the job is even a job

message 17: by Max (new)

Max Studier | 8 comments This book makes me feel happy that I can live by my own rule and that i am free. I also how we have privacy.

message 18: by Harrison (new)

Harrison | 4 comments my mood is that i am happy that i dont half to live in a word or village that has every thing planed out for me and done a sertan way.

message 19: by Erika (new)

Erika | 3 comments The mood in the giver makes me feel grateful. The giver makes me feel grateful because you can't choose your job you are assigned a job. You also can't choose who you marry or what child you get.
There are also no colors and you don't have any feelings. You also can't wear what you want.

message 20: by Pearson (new)

Pearson Martin | 7 comments NoHaxJustDiamond wrote: "The mood it created for me is suspicious, what happens to people when they get released? and why is The Giver giving so much of his old memories to Jonas? There are a lot of questions that went una..." I agree it is suspicious. As I am reading i feel like the giver is holding so much back. I have wondered the whole time where the people actually get released to. When I found out I was really shocked. When Jonas said "I want to see the release clip from today" (Lowry, 156) I was really suspicious and even anxious to read what actually happens. I agree with you on the mood, good job

message 21: by Abass (last edited Mar 07, 2017 08:28AM) (new)

Abass M. | 4 comments The mood the Giver has created is a little apprehensive. The writer did not really amend why the people was frightened, but at the beginning, when an unidentified aircraft had overflown their community twice. They all freak out and I did not know what was going on tell i read and became to understand the problem in the community.

message 22: by MaHargrave (new)

MaHargrave | 8 comments The mood of this book is a sobering one. It has made me appreciate what I have in this world,and what I have in my life, because it might not always be this way and may change and morph in years to come. The way he is finding out about the things that have left the world but that we have fond memories of, shows how much we take for granted. Our world could be a lot different if we didn't have the things we have today. ""We gained control of so many things. But we had to let go of others." "We shouldn't have!" Jonas said fiercely." (Lowry, 95).

message 23: by Luka (new)

Luka | 6 comments the mood of the giver is bad and happy because there is moments where Jonas has gotten memory that gave him pain and gave him pleasure " Jonas i gave you a memory that was my favorite "
if i could get a memory i would get a memory of wealth because i would want to see what you could buy with no limit .

message 24: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Mallory wrote: "Tram wrote: "Throughout the story Lois Lowry creates a mood of curiosity and creates it by hiding specific details. I felt this way because every paged turn, you couldn't help but wonder what's gon..."

I agree. The book makes me want to keep reading because I am so curious about what is going to happen next!

message 25: by Tad (new)

Tad Kratzer | 7 comments The mood is suspenseful and creepy, how the visions seem so real. and how the word "released" is sounding like they are going to kill him/her. What's even more creepy is that the book is supposed to be marketed towards children, but there is a lot of violent moments in the book, mentions of blood and vomit, and dark moments in the book. as if they meant to lie about it. the book is supposed to be dystonia, meaning a happy world with dark secrets. wow, lois lowry is a genius!

message 26: by Tram (last edited Feb 21, 2017 10:11AM) (new)

Tram | 8 comments Mallory wrote: "The book has created for me a mood of curiosity. The mood curiosity comes to me because you're always wondering what will happen next. I do believe the author was trying to create this mood for the..."

I agree that the mood was curiosity and how the reader was always left wondering what will happen next.

message 27: by Carter (new)

Carter Tuttle | 3 comments The mood i get is creepy because of the memories he gets memories that feel real like sunburn he can feel the pain of it and that is why I think the mood I get is creepy.

message 28: by MaHargrave (new)

MaHargrave | 8 comments Abass wrote: "The mood the Giver has created is a little apprehensive. The writer did not really amend why the people was frightened, at the beginning, when an unidentified aircraft had overflown the community t..."

I understand where you are coming from but that wasn't even from the chapters we read, that was from the first one. Plus it did say why, they had never seen anything like it so they were startled. Again I understand but what abut from the chapters we read.

message 29: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Sullivan | 8 comments Adeline wrote: "The mood the book has created is a little sad. The author states, "Jonas did not want to go back. He didn't want the memories... He wanted his childhood again". (Lowry 152). Jonas was sad and didn'..."

I agree with you that the story gives a sad mood. It's very sad that their world is so much different than ours. They don’t know what all of the great things we get to do are.

message 30: by Elijah (new)

Elijah Glekiah | 8 comments The book created a curious, eerie and intriguing mood for me so far. I felt that way because it had many intriguing details which gave me those feelings.In the Giver it said, "They have never known pain, he thought. The realization made him feel desperately lonely."(Lowry,105) This statement had me thinking and had me intrigued. I believe that the author was trying to create these mood for me by making the book detailed.

message 31: by Seth (new)

Seth Houselog | 7 comments The giver created a curious and a suspenseful feeling. Curious because I'm wondering what he is gonna learn next and how much pain he is going to have to endure. Suspense because the book is always leaving you with little information that is later in the book.

message 32: by Kiley (new)

Kiley | 4 comments The mood in the book so far is Jonas being curious and unsure about what might happen next. He knows that no one understands what pain and sadness. He feels like everyone is stupid and don't know what they are missing.

message 33: by Elijah (new)

Elijah Glekiah | 8 comments Kiley wrote: "The mood in the book so far is Jonas being curious and unsure about what might happen next. He knows that no one understands what pain and sadness. He feels like everyone is stupid and don't know w..."

I agree with you totally. However, I don't believe he's unsure what might happen. He's just anxious and nervous.

message 34: by Max (new)

Max Studier | 8 comments Tram wrote: "Throughout the story Lois Lowry creates a mood of curiosity and creates it by hiding specific details. I felt this way because every paged turn, you couldn't help but wonder what's gonna happen nex..."I agree i am thankful to live in the world we live in because we have freedom.