The Bone Season Series by Samantha Shannon – A Read Along discussion

The Bone Season (The Bone Season, #1)
This topic is about The Bone Season
BONE SEASON Wk 3 - Ch. 20-29 > PROS: Open forum

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shae, Mollisher (new) - added it

Shae McDaniel (shaelit) | 67 comments Mod
Happy Monday, everyone! It's time for the final week in this book before we dive into The Mime Order, and you pros know the coming chapters are doozies as Paige's rebellion against the Rephaim really kicks into high gear.

As always, this will be your place to talk about what we've read so far--what you remembered and looked forward to, what you had forgotten about, how your experience changed this time around, what you saw differently. Lay it on us!

Candace | 22 comments Just got through the part where Paige goes to the bar and tries to get over Nick by sleeping with a random - even though that's probably worked for no one, ever :( Somehow I always forget about that part of the book. There is a part where she is losing her virginity and she feels a terrible pain...isn't there a part of the next book that deals with this? Like the pain wasn't just from it being her first time?

How am I still surprised when I read that Terebell hides Paige from Thuban in the castle and she ends up being on Warden's side? I'm pretty sure I've raced through these books too quickly each time I've read them. There's so much information I miss or don't retain!

Victoria Ellis (victoria_e_ellis) | 18 comments Candace wrote: "Just got through the part where Paige goes to the bar and tries to get over Nick by sleeping with a random - even though that's probably worked for no one, ever :( Somehow I always forget about tha..."

The part with Paige and Nick breaks my heart every time. I think Warden says in the next few chapters how the pain was because he was amaurotic, if I remember right.

Candace | 22 comments Victoria wrote: "Candace wrote: "Just got through the part where Paige goes to the bar and tries to get over Nick by sleeping with a random - even though that's probably worked for no one, ever :( Somehow I always ..."

Yup you're right! I actually read that part right after I posted on here and forgot to mention I had figured it out.

Alix | 70 comments The Terebell thing didn't really surprise me, as there's another scene earlier, when Paige is recovering from facing the Emite, where Warden and Terebell are talking in his room, and we see Terebell with Paige's phone, which she's been hiding from Nashira, but what did was not only Pleione being a scarred one (though we knew she and Warden must be collaborating after the "blood-letting scene"), but that Alsafi is also a one of their comrades.
I'm excited to talk about what we learn about the Rephs in TMO. For now I'll just say that I had assumptions about Terebell upon finishing TBS and was very surprised in TMO.
On every re-read or relisten, when I get to the part about Warden being an Oneiromancer and using salvia to see Paige's memories, I always think "Oh, Warden, you knew that absolutely no part of that revelation was going to go well, right?" I hope in future books we learn more about oneiromancy and it's various uses.
That memory of Paige's is always so difficult to read. It really solidified my dislike of Jaxon (when he starts ranting about "some of us don't want styrofoam....some of us want silk..." I feel like I could roll my eyes so hard they'd get stuck). What I noticed on re-reading was that initially, she's not expecting to have sex, but when it's clearly what that rando wants, she decides to go along with it. Paige remarks that it's her most painful memory, and also her most 'normal, human' memory, which I think is what makes it so difficult to read.

Candace | 22 comments Yeah...when has it ever gone well when someone tells another they've completely invaded their privacy and deepest memories? On the other hand, the fact that Warden does not run to Nashira with the information he has found in Paige's memories is part of what helps Paige trust him.

Every time I start getting towards the end of the book, I keep expecting Nashira to come bursting through the door of Magdalen House. She now knows Paige is a dreamwalker, and she also killed a reph. I suppose Nashira enjoys theatrics, however, and assumes she has all the time in the world to take Paige. I feel like if I were Nashira, I would have taken Paige the minute she got back from trying to capture Antoinette.

Alix | 70 comments Yes, I think because Rephs have a different idea of time, and Nashira loves theatrics (but still mounts some pretty awful plays) she figures she has time to dispatch her, and likes the idea of doing it at the bicentenary. I also noticed how Warden steers her toward this idea.
I also notice how paranoid the Rephaim seem about their relationship. Given their culture, a romantic relationships seems like it would be unthinkable. If I were Nashira, and I saw the girl who spent her first few weeks at Sheol 1 cussing me and her keeper out being very quiet and circumspect at her inaugural feast, I'd be suspicious. I wonder they suspect just based on current circumstances, or if Warden has some secret history with humans we don't know yet. Duckett made that cryptic comment early on about him being considered "the most attractive".

Candace | 22 comments How did I miss the conversation Paige has with David before the bicentennial, and he hints he's working for Archon? If someone else hadn't pointed it out I might have missed that again.

I wish I had a clearer idea about how clairvoyants are treated. From the way it's sounded to me, the hunt for them has sounded similar to Jewish pogroms, but how could the mime gangs exist? Since they do, the government must not have as much ability to track them as I thought.

message 9: by Shae, Mollisher (new) - added it

Shae McDaniel (shaelit) | 67 comments Mod
Candace wrote: "I wish I had a clearer idea about how clairvoyants are treated. From the way it's sounded to me, the hunt for them has sounded similar to Jewish pogroms, but how could the mime gangs exist? Since they do, the government must not have as much ability to track them as I thought. "

Y'all keep up the great conversation. I'm just popping in here to say that, my friend, you are going to dig THE MIME ORDER.

Victoria Ellis (victoria_e_ellis) | 18 comments I'd completely even forgotten who David was until I this re-read and a completely agree that he seems so super shady. I'm just not sure what his deal is. Also the explosion managed to surprise me, was that David's doing or someone else?

Candace | 22 comments Kind of sounded like that was David/Scion. I really don't remember the Mime Order well, I'll have to keep this David thing in the back of my mind during the re-read!

The Bone Season Series by Samantha Shannon – A...

unread topics | mark unread