Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Incomplete Series Challenge > Aristea's Shame list

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Solseit (last edited Feb 20, 2018 08:23AM) (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments I need to make the list - I feel I am going out of control with new books and considering how many series I want to start, I need to rationalize (and I know you will understand my struggle here!). Also, bear with me, this is a bit raw in formatting, I might work on it later.

I will start with the positive and list the finished series first.
The Red Queen War by Mark Lawrence
Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne by Brian Staveley
The Grisha trilogy by Leigh Bardugo
Kingfountain series Jeff Wheeler
Sorcery Ascendant Sequence by Mitchell Hogan
Seven Forges by James A. Moore
The Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan
Shades of magic by V.E. Schwab
Powder Mage by Brian McClellan
The Faithful and the Fallen by John Gwynne
Red Rising by Pierce Brown
ACOTAR by Sarah J. Maas
The Divine Cities by Robert Jackson Bennett
The Broken Earth by N.K. Jemisin
The Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb
The Greatcoats by Sebastien de Castell
The Shadow Campaigns by Django Wexler
The Chronicle of the Exile Marc Turner

Series I am on track with releases:
Lightbringer
The Gentlemen Bastards
The Draconis Memoria
The Licanius Trilogy
The Legends of the First Empire
The Stormlight archive
Of Blood and Bone
Book of the Ancestor

Series I started but have not finished yet (and obviously plan to continue)
The Green Rider (4/6)
October Daye (6/13)
Earthsea (3/4)
The Dandelion Dynasty (1/2)
Tiger and Del (6/7)
Empire of Storms (2/3)
The Malazan Book of the Fallen
The invisible library (3/4)

Series I put on hold to focus on other
The dagger and the coin (1/5)
The Demon Cycle (1/5)
A song of ice and fire (4/5 but I read the 4 a long time ago in Italian. So I want to restart in English!)
The Trials of Apollo (1/2)
The Dresden Files (2/15)

message 2: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4109 comments Good luck!

message 3: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Welcome to shame! :)

message 4: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3555 comments Mod
Good luck Aristea. Let me know if you get around to ASoIaF at some point. I reread Game of Thrones last year, but really need to carry on with a reread of the other books. Haha then that way I might have reread them by the time Winds of Winter comes out.

Also The Dagger and Coin, I've read the first two, so if you do read them, I'ld be keen to carry on from book #3

Where are you up to with Gentleman Bastards?

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1748 comments You probably have time to read them again before Winds of Winter comes out.

In a foreign language.

Backwards.

message 6: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Chris wrote: "You probably have time to read them again before Winds of Winter comes out.

In a foreign language.

Backwards."

Hahaha I'm laughing for real as I read your comment Chris, because I know you are right.

message 7: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Good luck with the challenge!

message 8: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2150 comments Good luck!

message 9: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments On the positive, I finished the Riyria Revelations!
In two days, I start The Warded Man. Let's say I am balancing things out :D

message 10: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Aristea wrote: "On the positive, I finished the Riyria Revelations!
In two days, I start The Warded Man. Let's say I am balancing things out :D"

That's too funny I just finished Riyeria Chronicles so I could balance out starting the Warded Man in two days!

message 11: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Scott wrote: "Aristea wrote: "On the positive, I finished the Riyria Revelations!
In two days, I start The Warded Man. Let's say I am balancing things out :D"

That's too funny I just finished Ri..."

I have to confess I got inspired to update this because I saw you updating yours - and they are very similar indeed.
There is a strong possibility we like the same kind of books :D (yes, I am laughing alone about this "joke").

message 12: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Aristea wrote: "yes, I am laughing alone about this "joke""

Hadrian would like your joke, Royce would roll his eyes. :)

message 13: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Lol! Hadrian would be too polite to tell me it was not even considered a joke. Royce would not hesitate - if he cared enough to make the comment that is!

message 14: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Added the Dresden Files and The Demon Cycle to the shame list. I better start closing series before I start new ones!

message 15: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

So excited to see you add the Dresden Files Aristea. Plus it looks like The Demon Cycle is going to be good!

message 16: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Angela wrote: "Good luck Aristea. Let me know if you get around to ASoIaF at some point. I reread Game of Thrones last year, but really need to carry on with a reread of the other books. Haha then that way I migh..."

It took me forever to realize you actually asked me a question! Sorry about the delay in responding!
I just read the first book so I really want to resume from Red Seas Under Red Skies. I am thinking about April (or even May) right now. Would that work for you?

message 17: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

No worries. May would work better for me if you can wait that long?

message 18: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments I don't mind at all! I have so much that needs to be read, I do not have shortage of books to choose from!

message 19: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Awesome. I'll mark it up for May. Is mid May okay for you, as I've already said I'm reading the first Powder Mage book in May?

message 20: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Aristea, Laura is keen to join us as well. Would the 18th May work for you?

message 21: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments It works! Thanks for setting the reading!

message 22: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Thanks Aristea. It's going to be great!

message 23: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments So I finally made some progress here.

I finished the Powder Mage trilogy and Shades of Magic (the first extremely good, the second a fine read).

Next on the list The Thousand Names. I am starting with The Price of Valor today and I might be able to be updated (the version of the book I am buying for the following one should be out in May but I might start the audiobook before).

I guess I will soon add new series though - I might start with Red Rising soon. I will make a post on the buddy reads to see if anyone will be interested in this series!

message 24: by Gelisvb (new)

Gelisvb | 76 comments Aristea wrote: "So I finally made some progress here.

I finished the Powder Mage trilogy and Shades of Magic (the first extremely good, the second a fine read).

Next on the list The Thousand Names. I am startin..."

Red rising is fantastic!

message 25: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

The first quarter of Red Rising is brutal IMO. I almost gave up the series after the first book which did get better over the course of it. The second and third books are much better. At one point in the third book the Deus Ex Machina had me rolling my eyes. Overall through it was a good series. You'll find varying review within the group. Margret and Bill love it. Angela and Emma(I think but if not her somebody else who posts a lot) DNF'd.

message 26: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
That's because Bill and I are awesome

message 27: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7427 comments Mod
I am also awesome(I loved RR too - right from the beginning). I experienced it on audio, though, so maybe that's the difference maker?

message 28: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Mar 02, 2017 12:10PM) (new)

I was going to say I have great taste in DNFing Red Rising ;).

I will say I do struggle with YA fantasy. The only YA fantasy I can recall I've enjoyed the entire series was Penryn and the End of Days by Susan Ee.

message 29: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments I need to add Red Rising (although I just need to read book 3 and I do not expect it to take too long and I will be able to finish this month) and The Divine Cities although I will officially start later on today.
I feel like I have undone all the good work of February. Sigh.

message 30: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Good timing on DC with the 3rd book coming out in May. If you want to BR that one let me know.

message 31: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Scott wrote: "Good timing on DC with the 3rd book coming out in May. If you want to BR that one let me know."

Happy to read it with you! Or should we even open a thread and see who hops on?

message 32: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Aristea wrote: "Scott wrote: "Good timing on DC with the 3rd book coming out in May. If you want to BR that one let me know."

Happy to read it with you! Or should we even open a thread and see who hops on?"

I wish there was a GR tool where you could select a book and a group and see the results for everybody who has read it. That would make things like this so much easier. I'm good to open one or wait until we get closer. Whatever you think.

message 33: by Hacen (new)

Hacen | 883 comments Scott wrote: "Aristea wrote: "Scott wrote: "Good timing on DC with the 3rd book coming out in May. If you want to BR that one let me know."

Happy to read it with you! Or should we even open a thread and see who..."

You can. Go to the groups bookshelf, type in the book then hit group reviews.

message 34: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Hacen wrote: "Scott wrote: "Aristea wrote: "Scott wrote: "Good timing on DC with the 3rd book coming out in May. If you want to BR that one let me know."

Happy to read it with you! Or should we even open a thre..."

Cool thanks for the tip. I only use that to add books and never looked long enough to see the other functionality.

message 35: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Sigh, I am going to take a moment to remind myself that the goal of this thread was to reduce the amount of incompleted series.

Now, I am going to add
The Greatcoats

I need to get started with Morning Star so I can finish one more series.

message 36: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7427 comments Mod
Hahaha I feel ya.

message 37: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

I completely understand. Haha maybe we should change the challenge name to - Keep Your Incomplete Series Total Static.

message 38: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments lol Angela, I genuinely laughed a lot reading your comment! It might be the way to go though!

message 39: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4109 comments Angela wrote: "I completely understand. Haha maybe we should change the challenge name to - Keep Your Incomplete Series Total Static."

Haha

message 40: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

:)

message 41: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments I felt very well for a while when I spent most of my time finishing series. Now I opened a much bigger Pandora vase and it is going to get worse!
I finally finished:
The Faithful and the Fallen, Red Rising and ACOTAR.
I am updated with: The Shadow Campaigns.

I also decided not to continue with The Books of Babel.

I made progress on: The invisible library (I only need to read book #3), The Gentlemen Bastards (and I will be updated in early July when we continue the reading of the series!), The Divine Cities (I have book #3 lined up already).

I also started: The Green Rider, October Daye and Empire of Storms.

I feel less satisfied when I think that I did not make much progress on the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I also suspect my push on this series pushed me towards a reading block so I am hesitant to resume - albeit I love the world.

message 42: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I keep opening things as fast as I close them as well. At least it's not getting further out of control.

Did you like Shadow Campaigns? The final book comes out in January if you're up for group reading it.

message 43: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Jun 12, 2017 04:29AM) (new)

Also I'm #2 on book three of Divine Cities wait list with the library. I'm probably going to come due in the next 15-30 days but if it works out I'd group read it.

message 44: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Also, I am planning to start a ton more series in the next weeks - thanks to the great choices we have lined up in the group, for instance the Traitor Son Cycle and The Broken Earth.

message 45: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Scott wrote: "I keep opening things as fast as I close them as well. At least it's not getting further out of control.

Did you like Shadow Campaigns? The final book comes out in January if you're up for group ..."

I love The Shadow Campaigns. It might be my favorite series - but it is hard to choose. I have a bunch of favorite series and I cannot really choose which ones are my favorite of all times. In short, my list of favorites tends to increase with the reads I complete.

message 46: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Scott wrote: "Also I'm #2 on book three of Divine Cities wait list with the library. I'm probably going to come due in the next 15-30 days but if it works out I'd group read it."

Cool! I would be happy to read it together! I have enough series ready to be closed that I would be fine waiting to finish this particular book. How are you liking the series, Scott? I am actually surprised by how much I am in awe, such an unusual read for me and I did not expect to have so much fun with it!

message 47: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I thought book 4 was the best of the Shadow Campaigns and cannot wait for book 5. I loved book 1 but was only lukewarm on 2 & 3.

I haven't loved Devine Cities. I think it's been good but there's been a lot of dull spots. The last quarter of book 1 was simply excellent. Then book two he took way too long setting things up. But about halfway through everything accelerated and I thought of this second half will be epic! Then it slowed back down to a trickle and at then the last 15% was again amazing.

So long story short it's been up and down for me. I agree it's not my usual read as well. I'm hoping this has all been setup for a great ending.

I'll let you know when my book comes due and if it lines up with your schedule great and if not no worries.

message 48: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Aristea I continue to start more series than I'm finishing. I do take heart when I actually move forward in a series now.

I find it hard to read another book after finishing a Malazan one. They just take a lot out of you as a reader I feel. There's so much to concentrate on and figure. I'm in awe that Scott and Jenna kept such a pace to get through the series. I couldn't have done it like they have.

Hope you enjoy October Daye. It's a series I've been enjoying. I'm one book behind on it currently.

message 49: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Angela wrote: "

I am liking October Daye. It's a good book to break more heavy reads - at least book #1 was the perfect balance for me!
As for the Malazan, the first 5 books are re-reads for me but for some reason I am stuck on Memories of Ice (and I have already read more than half of it). I just need to resume and commit to the read!

message 50: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I started City of Miracles. Not sure if you still have interest on zero notice. The great part about being able to get Kindle books from the library is they're free. The bad part is you cannot always well when they'll come due. A couple people ahead of me put their holds on hold, which I'm guilty of doing quite a bit to manage the schedule better, which shot me to the top of the list unexpectedly. So I have no choice but to roll with it.

« previous 1