Looking for Alaska Looking for Alaska question

Looking for a book
Debbie Debbie Jan 22, 2017 11:31AM
Hi, I'm a novice when it comes to reading sci-fi. I'm looking for a great read about someone from earth traveling to another planet to live. It could be like a dystopia / post apocalyptic story where the remaining people on earth have to relocate.

Any suggestions?

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is about a man having to leave Earth, and all he encounters. It's a classic, and hilarious. Not really dystopian or post apocalyptic though. It's a quick light read though. Great for someone who hasn't spent a lot of time reading Sci Fi.

There's also Beacon 23. It is a set of 5 novellas all put together to form one book. It's about a man decides to live by himself on a space station that acts as a danger buoy for space travelers. It gets into some common sci fi tropes, but also explores the psychology of the mind living alone in the middle of space for long periods of time.

I'd also throw in The Book of Strange New Things. It's about a preacher that travels to a new galaxy and settles on a planet. He is going to spread the bible to the native population of this new planet. He is separated from his wife, who is back on Earth, and gets letters from her. This is more of a relational drama set on a sci fi back drop. Really interesting concept though and worth a read. Definitely the "heaviest" of the three mentioned, both in length and content.

Hope this helps.