Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

Before You Publish > KDP Select

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by R.L. (last edited Jan 22, 2017 10:34AM) (new)

R.L. Jackson (authorrljackson) | 856 comments Mod
So, I was looking at the KDP select program more in depth, and didn't realize that it had an exclusivity clause. My book is in pre-order status, with the 70% royalty, but I need to UNENROLL, (which I cant seem to do), because it is listed on alot of other sites for Pre-Order as well. I really don't like that you have to limit your material and wish I'd known sooner. What have others on here experienced regarding KDP select? Is it worth it to have your book available in only one place? What are the royalties like? Very curious.

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna Adler | 25 comments My book is on KDP Select since its publication in July and I'm really happy with it. I'm reaching a lot more readers through Kindle Unlimited than through regular Kindle unit sales, so in my case being exclusively on Amazon has paid off.

If you find out that KDP Select doesn't work for your book (ie. you only get unit sales and no KU reads), you can drop out after 90 days and publish with other retailers as well. So don't worry, you're not tied for life, just for three months. :)

message 3: by R.L. (new)

That's good to know. I guess I'll have to delist it on the other sites though which will be a pain in the buns...lol

message 4: by Angel (last edited Jan 22, 2017 11:16AM) (new)

Angel | 722 comments My book is available all over world UK, Australia, Brazil, Japan, Italy, Mexico, Canada, U.S., India to name a few, and several participating stores like B&N, Booksamillion, to name a few, but that's because I always choose Expanded Distribution when dealing with Amazon and Kindle. I'm also in KDP Select and Kindle Matchbook which is on the KDP website.

My books can also be purchased in paperback on these sites as well as other sites, like the Createspace e-store, Createspace for the paperback, of course Amazon international and Kindle of course also internationally. As far as royalties, I paid every two months through the Kindle Normalized Pages program where you get paid per page when the reader reads your book, the more pages they read, the more dollars, (but it accumulates at a snail's pace depending on your readership) which is with the Kindle Unlimited program.

You don't get paid when your book is entered in Kindle Owners' Lending Library. Free promotions during Kindle Countdown Deals you don't get paid, it may raise your ranking, but after the promotion is over it could go down again. But being in the KDP Program the e-book version of my books do sell more.

I have considered other places elsewhere to sell my books besides Amazon and Kindle, but you'd be surprised how many places I've Googled and have come to find out those online bookstores/companies are own by Amazon, too or affiliated with it in some way. Goodreads is one of the sites owned by Amazon, so you see it's not easy to get away from them. As far as kindle, I've gotten steady exposure and steady actual sales from being in its programs and since I've put another book out, the sales of my first book are still steady and I've been able to sell even copies of my latest novel.

Because of the Kindle program I was able to remain in the top 100 on Amazon consistently for two years straight with my first book as well as the "Best Paid on Kindle/Amazon" and "Best Sellers on Amazon/ Kindle" for that entire length of time and continues to present now at #4. (*Rankings on Amazon fluctuate hourly on Amazon). My rankings started at #80, then # 74, #48, and then #2. I haven't found a way to get away from Amazon and Kindle. So since I'm still not as well known I'm going to stay put. But you have to choose what's right for you.

message 5: by R.L. (new)

Wow Angel, that's pretty great. I hope I can be so lucky

message 6: by Anna (last edited Jan 22, 2017 11:11AM) (new)

Anna Adler | 25 comments Oh yeah, the royalties.

You say you get 70% royalties from unit sales, that's good. (me too)

In addition you get paid based on pages read on Kindle Unlimited. This is a separate graph on your sales dashboard and a different system. When someone is reading your book on Kindle Unlimited, you see the graph move. Amazon sends you a report once a month how much money this translates into.
In my case, I've made twice as much from KU reads than from unit sales every month since publication, so I'm not getting off the KDP Select train anytime soon. I hope it'll work well for you too.

message 7: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 208 comments I've been enrolled with Select the whole time I've been published and get a lot of books read that way, but it wasn't until I promoted constantly that my books were in Kindle Unlimited that I started seeing massive page reads. Books from page reads are about twice that of regular unit sales. The royalties are less though. They are about half a cent per page.

message 8: by R.L. (new)

Wow. I guess I better change my reading material to KDP so I can try and learn all theses intricate details lol

message 9: by Angel (last edited Jan 22, 2017 11:44AM) (new)

Angel | 722 comments Yes, Marie is right. I neglected to say the most important part you have to promote and market like crazy which is the cornerstone of success. I did lots of promotion and marketing and continue to do that with every book I publish that's how I received such successful results. Also being in this publishing/writing business for twenty-six plus years doesn't hurt my chances either. Nonstop promotion and marketing is one of the main keys to success.

message 10: by R.L. (new)

I agree. I'm struggling a bit on the marketing and advertising part due to having no budget for it really. I try not to spam my Facebook and twitter either, which would just annoy people and turn them off. Thanks for all your insights guys. It takes a village!

message 11: by Angel (last edited Jan 22, 2017 11:53AM) (new)

Angel | 722 comments R.L. wrote: "I agree. I'm struggling a bit on the marketing and advertising part due to having no budget for it really. I try not to spam my Facebook and twitter either, which would just annoy people and turn t..."

I didn't and don't have a budget either. I did and do mine by doing author spotlights, interviews, and stuff like that consistently, blogging and being on Goodreads as a reader and reviewer not just as an author, consistently being active on Goodreads and other social media, discussing or reviewing at times in real time on Twitter, about shared interests like movies, shows I liked and building a follower and fan base that way, which took no money only lots of time and diligence, which I grabbed every chance I could, since I'm a single mom.

message 12: by Carole (last edited Jan 22, 2017 12:00PM) (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4600 comments Mod
Michael handles Kindle and we do KDP- At first I complained about the limitations. I wanted to be available on The Nook. I know you can get out of the program after the ninety days, but my kids are loyal to KDP. They love the the free days that shoot your book into the top ranks. Even after some of the books have slipped, we run a free day and they jump back up. They handle that part, I handle paperbacks and now I've gotten three of the children's books made into hardcovers. My gut tells me, they are the big guys in the industry, so aligning with them seems to be a better idea. I wonder if we can find people who didn't vs. people who did and compare sales and ranking numbers. Angel seems to have it all worked out and it sounds like good advice.

message 13: by R.L. (new)

That would be an awesome idea! I watched an interview with Liliana Hart where she basically said she made more in iBooks since Amazon had changed so many rules. She's well known though so that could also be why she can possibly make more there. I'm going to remove my book from preorder at the other sites in the meantime. I don't want to start off on the wrong foot out of the gate.

message 14: by Angel (last edited Jan 22, 2017 04:05PM) (new)

Angel | 722 comments R.L. wrote: "That would be an awesome idea! I watched an interview with Liliana Hart where she basically said she made more in iBooks since Amazon had changed so many rules. She's well known though so that coul..."

Just pace yourself, R.L. What you want to accomplish will happen. But you must continue being present and consistent in whatever you do involving this industry.

message 15: by R.L. (new)

Will do Angel. Just have to get in the groove I guess

message 16: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 210 comments I like getting page reads - even on days when I don't have a sale, someone usually reads a couple hundred or more pages of my book and I know it's being read, and I'm getting paid.

message 17: by R.L. (new)

I bet that's a good feeling.

message 18: by Carole (last edited Jan 22, 2017 05:39PM) (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4600 comments Mod
That's great! Love to hear they are reading it!!!

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread