Christian Writing & Reading Community discussion

Dungeon of Illusion (Tales of Vantoria #3)
This topic is about Dungeon of Illusion
Relevant to the Current Events

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by R.J. (last edited Jan 22, 2017 09:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

R.J. Gilbert (rjagilbert) | 4 comments This weekend, while watching the news unfold on the television and on facebook, I am revisiting two of my books that I published in the last few years.

Dungeon of Illusion
Dungeon of Illusion was published in 2015, but the plot seems to have been ripped right from the headlines of today’s political scene (or maybe the political scene ripped off the plot from me, who knows). In the sequel to The Lucky and the Strong (which was itself an exploration of the differences between conservative and liberal interpretations of Christianity) my characters get caught up in the middle of a political upheaval that has divided a futuristic city. The story was actually meant to illustrate church divisions and schisms that end up driving people away from the faith, but right now it could be just as easily used to illustrate what is happening in Washington D.C. and around the world.

Men of Renown
Men of Renown was a book I first wrote as a novella in 2004. Of course, there was no possibility of self-publishing it then, so it sat on my back burner and slowly grew into a larger story by the time I was able to publish it on Amazon.com. This is a story about a doomsday prophecy—the end not only of a great empire and world superpower, but of the world as it was known. I wrote it originally to illustrate the consequences of pastors and fathers and leaders ignoring their most important duties.

Based on the passage in Genesis 4, Men of Renown follows the adventures of a great hero in the time of Atlantis as he searches for a way to make his name live on. The discussion throughout is on the topic of legacy—what defines a true hero, and what must he do to save a world that is set on a collision course with catastrophe?

I would love reviews for these, but more importantly, I wish for people to consider the messages I’ve hidden inside of these adventures. Especially now, when the mere hint of politics is enough to invite physical assault and even a social media post is an invitation for all-out civil war.

R.J. Gilbert (rjagilbert) | 4 comments Also relevant--and free for a limited time:
The Lucky and the Strong
The Lucky and the Strong (Tales of Vantoria book 2) by Robert J.A. Gilbert

A “paranormal” adventure/romance with a liberal-conservative twist.

In light of all the political divisions between liberal and conservatives, I would like to present a refreshing, romantic adventure that brings the two extremes together. Mary is a carefree fairy, almost reckless in her faith that God will always rescue her from disaster. Renaud is a battle-hardened swordsman who has no desire for Mary’s joyful perspective. When brought together by sinister forces, they must set aside their differences and find a middle ground, before the entire kingdom is destroyed. In the end, Mary and Renaud discover that there is more in common between them than the extremes that threaten to drive them apart.

Through April 30th, The Lucky and the Strong is free at Smashwords.com. Coupon Code: VS65F
Enjoy!

message 3: by R.J. (last edited Apr 01, 2017 02:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

R.J. Gilbert (rjagilbert) | 4 comments Robert wrote: "...the mere hint of politics is enough to invite physical assault and even a social media post is an invitation for all-out civil war."

Wow. I just read that again.
Did I really say that?
How...eerily prophetic.

R.J. Gilbert (rjagilbert) | 4 comments For those who have been following the news, we are living in an age of wars and rumors of wars—not so much between armies of nations, but between charismatic leaders, factions, and ideals. I had no idea, at the time I wrote it, how prophetically relevant my latest fantasy adventure, Dungeon of Illusion, would be regarding this subject, but here we are, watching the plot unfold in real life on multiple stages around the globe.

Though it was not written with any particular world event in mind, Dungeon of Illusion has become a startling parallel to the drama playing out all over this groaning planet. It was not meant as a political message, but in light of the strife I have been seeing this year in the news, I would like to offer it to readers who may be considering which side of a conflict they should join or what faction they should oppose—or even those who think themselves merely bystanders on the sidelines.

If you are interested, Dungeon of Illusion is free for the Amazon Kindle from April 26th through the 30th.
https://www.amazon.com/Dungeon-Illusi...

message 5: by James, Head Cook & Bottle Washer (new)

James Collins | 160 comments Mod
RJ, I will check out "Men of Renown." I am very interested in the pre-flood world.