The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

General Chat > Sherlock Holmes - Missing Years

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 571 comments I just finished Sherlock Holmes: The Missing Years by Jamyang Norbu. Holmes is in Tibet of all places. I did do a review. I liked it.
Although I could not tell you whether it was true to the Holmes Character. As it has been years since I read a Conan Doyle book, I was unaware of any Holmes's missing years.
While looking for the book's touchstones, I noticed there are more than one author who have done Missing Years novels about Holmes. Sherlock Holmes, The Missing Years: Japan, Vasudev Murthy is one other.
What Say You?

message 2: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Radley | 558 comments Yes there is a particular part of Holmes life that he disappears which is his "supposed death" obviously Conan Doyle wanted to kill him off but when public opinion demanded more he continued but missed off a few years

message 3: by David (new)

David Linzee | 37 comments Wendy wrote: "I just finished Sherlock Holmes: The Missing Years by Jamyang Norbu. Holmes is in Tibet of all places. I did do a review. I liked it.
Although I could not tell you whet..."

In the Conan Doyle story "The Adventure of the Empty House" Holmes surprises Watson by turning up alive. The world thought he and Prof Moriarty had died at the Reichenbach Falls a couple of years before. Holmes does say what he was up to during the Missing Years, and one item was traveling in Tibet.

message 4: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 571 comments I guess I need to read all the books. I do not recall ever reading them all. I was exposed to the Masterpiece Theater stuff.

message 5: by SherryRose (last edited Jan 31, 2017 09:37AM) (new)

SherryRose | 927 comments I need to read them too Wendy. I love all three of the major actors. Basil Rathbone, Jeremy Brett, and Bennedict Cumberbatch all bring different angles to Sherlock's Character. It's time I read more of the original series.