Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1)
This topic is about The Way of Shadows
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Way of Shadows

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Quinn | 460 comments Starting on March 10

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments Don't know what I pressed and posted it blank! Still new to this I suppose! March 10 is fine by me. Do we even set a "to finish up to" date?

message 3: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4417 comments Mod
Laura wrote: "Don't know what I pressed and posted it blank! Still new to this I suppose! March 10 is fine by me. Do we even set a "to finish up to" date?"

You don't need to set an exact date and you can always do it later, but you will need to decide with the other buddy readers when to start the second one if you want to continue. All that can be done later though.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments Got it!

message 5: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
I've added it to the bookshelf.

Quinn | 460 comments Thank you!

Nimrod Daniel (nimroddaniel) | 171 comments The Way of Shadows has been on my TBR for a long time. I think I'll join you :)

message 8: by Don (new)

Don H.M (theayatollahofrock) | 23 comments Get ready for disappointment and dialogue so bad it flips back around and becomes brilliant.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments you're making me eager to start Don :))

message 10: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Compton | 163 comments I'm in!

Nimrod Daniel (nimroddaniel) | 171 comments Quinn, are you about to read the whole trilogy in one go, or just the first book ?

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments good question

William Holden (bookenthusiast3) | 13 comments good book need to read the next book

Quinn | 460 comments This is the first book, if it is good maybe second and third?

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments I have all the 3 books and I'm already committed to reading them all :)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments I started today. A little early, I know, but just a few hours really. :). I reached chapter 14 by now and I have to say I'm really glad I went for it! This is that kind of "leave everything aside and read me" book. I don't think I'll be able to stop until I finish the entire trilogy. It's that good!!!

Nimrod Daniel (nimroddaniel) | 171 comments I started it today too. Maybe I should have started earlier because you guys are gonna finish it before I do.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments How do you like it so far? For me it's fabulous but oppinions may differ. :)

Slick | 93 comments Read this book about 10 times and i still love it haha, the authors fantastic, he has another series called Lightbringer thats just as good.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments That one's next on my list:).

message 21: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela | 3517 comments Mod
It is such a great series. I love it so much. You are right Laura they are hard to put down. I read them pretty much one after the other. Enjoy!

I really want to read as fast as you Laura.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments :)

Quinn | 460 comments Lol I just started as well. I am enjoying it so far.

Nimrod Daniel (nimroddaniel) | 171 comments Laura wrote: "How do you like it so far? For me it's fabulous but oppinions may differ. :)"

I'm just 7% through so it's just the very beginning. It's nice, but I can't say I'm hooked, but that's ok considering it's still the beginning.

message 25: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Compton | 163 comments Ill be a little late starting this one (doing a group read on The Black Prism in another group). Should "catch up" in two weeks. It will be interesting reading "book 1" of both of his series back to back. Black Prism is really good (about 40% into it so far).

message 26: by Laura (last edited Mar 09, 2017 10:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments at Chapter 33. right now I think Durzo's an ass!

Azrael James | 18 comments The trilogy should be arriving any day now, and I will catch up :-)

message 28: by Chris (last edited Mar 10, 2017 04:18AM) (new) - added it

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Hi! I'm new to your reading group and I've recently purchased this book to read so I'd like to join the group reading of it. I'm about 400 pages away from finishing "A Wise Man's Fear" but I should be able to finish this book ("Shadows") by the end date.

message 29: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Compton | 163 comments Chris wrote: "Hi! I'm new to your reading group and I've recently purchased this book to read so I'd like to join the group reading of it. I'm about 400 pages away from finishing "A Wise Man's Fear" but I should..."

Enjoy Rothfuss! He's number 2 on my list (right behind Sanderson).

message 30: by Chris (last edited Mar 10, 2017 04:52AM) (new) - added it

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments John wrote: "Chris wrote: "Hi! I'm new to your reading group and I've recently purchased this book to read so I'd like to join the group reading of it. I'm about 400 pages away from finishing "A Wise Man's Fear..."

I haven't read any of Brandon's work yet. However, I managed to score the entire Wheel of Time (I know he did the last 3-4 books) from a local thrift store for about ten bucks, so it's on my to read pile. In regards to Mr. Rothfuss, he's quickly become my new favorite author with his unique style, sense of humour, and ability to grab ahold of you without much effort (seemingly). I just wish that people would realize how much of a gem his first two books are, compared to other stuff that I've read. Maybe then they wouldn't push him so much in the forums; diamonds take a long time to form ;-)

Slick | 93 comments Chris you smug son of a *BEEP* Hahaha WOT cost me a small fortune. Brandon Sanderson is amazing though, there is a HUGE fan forum called the 17th Shard for when your inevitably hooked.

Thats a hell of a reading list, when you resurface in 10 years come say hi :D

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments hi Chris. I loved Wheel of Time, hope you'll enjoy it too. I haven't read Rothfuss yet, and keep postponing it because I hate it when the series is not finished and I'm left waiting for years to see what happens next. It's on my TBR list though.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments hey Slick! 10 years for WOT? but I'm with you on the small fortune part!

message 34: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Slick wrote: "Chris you smug son of a *BEEP* Hahaha WOT cost me a small fortune. Brandon Sanderson is amazing though, there is a HUGE fan forum called the 17th Shard for when your inevitably hooked.

Thats a hel..."

LOL ;-P

Yeah I'll keep them in my library and then just flip from series to series for variety. This site is great because it's going to help me avoid bad purchases and reading burnout like I got reading the first 8 books of Terry Goodkind with no variation. :-D

Slick | 93 comments 10 for WOT then sandersons work mwahaha

message 36: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Laura wrote: "hi Chris. I loved Wheel of Time, hope you'll enjoy it too. I haven't read Rothfuss yet, and keep postponing it because I hate it when the series is not finished and I'm left waiting for years to se..."

The way he wrote the books allows you to read them now. Not really cliff hangers like some other authors. He gets you hooked on his story telling ability, witty comedic banter, and strong character attraction.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments sounds good Chris. do me a favour ok, please? after you finish wise man's fear just let me know if there is a cliffhanger or not. If not, then I'll read both books this year :).

Slick | 93 comments @Laura There is not really a cliff hanger in WMF. You just crave the next because its so good haha

message 39: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Laura wrote: "sounds good Chris. do me a favour ok, please? after you finish wise man's fear just let me know if there is a cliffhanger or not. If not, then I'll read both books this year :)."

I will do so because you asked nicely! ;-)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments ha ha:). very funny! thanks guys.

Quinn | 460 comments Chapter 36
I can't put the book down. Things are getting heat up!!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments you're catching up with me Quinn. I'm at Chapter 49. glad you also feel the same! :))

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments I finished it and I have to admit that it was quite the ride. 5 stars from me. I'll post my thoughts on it when you guys are also done. I have to read this trilogy till the end!!

Slick | 93 comments Mwahahahaha i wish i could just go back in time and read this again for the first time.

message 45: by Nimrod (last edited Mar 13, 2017 12:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nimrod Daniel (nimroddaniel) | 171 comments So far it's quite good, but I can't say I'm really hooked.

Laura, you're devouring books very quickly :)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments no I'm not Daniel. the only thing is that I only read one at a time. (most of the time that is :)).
It really doesn't have you hooked? what is it you don't quite like about it?

message 47: by Nimrod (last edited Mar 14, 2017 01:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nimrod Daniel (nimroddaniel) | 171 comments So far it's good but not good enough to really get me hooked. It gets better and I'm just in chapter 24 so probably there are a lot of good things ahead :)

message 48: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments So I have to be honest here, i can't finish this book. I've read the first 140 pages only and was physically sick to my stomach and it gave me nightmares. I'll try to join the discussion on the next book...

Slick | 93 comments Jesus man you must read differently than i do XD
Just kidding, you not into it? :)

message 50: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments To much child abuse for my tastes

« previous 1