Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

Opportunities > I'm a blogger or a reviewer...let's talk

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carole (last edited Jan 21, 2017 05:03PM) (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4588 comments Mod
This folder is for bloggers and reviewers who are looking for material for their blogs or looking to review books.
I've been searching the other threads for people are looking for either books or posts.
Please respect the genre they are interested in. As always, we want honest reviews.

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Thank you Carole. I love the way this group is shaping up.

I'm a blogger, I post at https://arcbookblog.wordpress.com/ (meant to do a post tonight actually) and I'm always looking for material, if you're interested in guesting, I accept posts on most subjects, the only real exceptions are religion and politics. I don't mind controversy, so long as you aren't too controversial, a touch is fine.
You can get hold of me either through the contact page of my blog or by sending me a message here on GR

message 3: by A Fantasy (last edited Jan 21, 2017 05:22PM) (new)

A Fantasy Muse (afantasymuse) | 7 comments I have a blog, http://www.afantasymuse.com and put my reviews on Goodreads/Amazon.

I read fantasy, dark fantasy, sci-fi, horror, and the occasional thriller/suspense.

I also love reading short stories, short story collections, or anthologies.

If you are interested please email me at: waynnehammond@gmail.com.

Or if you want send me a message on Goodreads.

message 4: by Carole (last edited Jan 21, 2017 06:04PM) (new)

Thanks for joining!!! Brittney will be contacting you on Monday about one of my son's titles. His name is Michael Phillip Cash. I hope you'll consider reading and reviewing one of his books. Mine aren't your genre.

message 5: by A Fantasy (new)

A Fantasy Muse (afantasymuse) | 7 comments Have a question. I just ran into this issue.

I have always been given "free" copies to review for authors that approach me for reviews. Is it safe to assume that when an author approaches you for a review that they will also provide the book for you to review?

Or after being approached am I to assume that I should buy the book that they are asking me to review?

I felt like I offended an author by assuming he would send the book he was asking me to review. Just trying to figure out from an authors standpoint what the correct protocol is.

message 6: by Carole (new)

I think most authors will send a pdf or mobi- which I call a comp or complimentary copy and has no expense for the author. I am willing to send paperback, Kindle or the electronic copy. I never expect a reviewer to buy a copy.
You have to state on Amazon if you got a reviewing copy from the author and no review was expected and you are giving it voluntarily. That's a new rule from Amazon. Pretty stupid if you ask me- but they are stringent about the rules right now.
I am a top reviewer on Amazon as well, but I only read book that I chose, and I always buy them- but that is me. I started doing that because Amazon took down some of my reviews when I forgot to mention I was given a copy.

message 7: by A Fantasy (new)

A Fantasy Muse (afantasymuse) | 7 comments Ok, so it sounds like what I've been assuming is the typical practice for most authors, is ok to assume. I assume they will send me a free e-copy of the book. I never expect them to send me a physical book.

I just needed to make sure I wasn't going crazy. I had a fairly rude response to someone I told I would review his book for him, and told him the type of reading device I used. He seems offended that I expected a free e-copy.

message 8: by Carole (new)

He should have been grateful you were willing to take the time to review.

message 9: by Lyra (new)

Lyra Shanti (lyrashanti) | 76 comments A Fantasy wrote: "I have a blog, http://www.afantasymuse.com and put my reviews on Goodreads/Amazon.

I read fantasy, dark fantasy, sci-fi, horror, and the occasional thriller/suspense.

I also love reading short s..."

Sent you a pm! :)

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan Im new here and a blogger. I love to read women's fiction, Christian, chick lit, romance, contemporary YA. Not really into sci fi, fantasy, or dystopian. Im looking forward to getting to know you all!

Https://susanlovesbooks.wordpress.com

Thanks so much!

message 11: by Carole (new)

Thanks Susa. Nice to meet you.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi everyone,

My name is Joyce, aka Paperback Princess. I have two blogs. My main one is where I review books www.princessofpaperback.wordpress.com

And a family related blog: www.wrappedinchaos.wordpress.com

I'm currently not able to review any books until the summer, but if you are looking to promote your book or do a cover reveal, etc. I don't mind helping out

message 13: by Carole (new)

Welcome to the group, Joyce!

message 14: by Faith (last edited Nov 03, 2017 07:27AM) (new)

Faith Jones (havingfaith) Hi. I've got a science fiction book blog with a modest but growing level of traffic (177 visits yesterday and 89 in the first half of today - yea, readers!) and that can be found here:
http://havingfaithbookblog.blogspot.c...

The opportunity for authors (from any genre) comes in the form of a challenge and does need some input but might gain you exposure to new readers beyond your usual circle. It's also fun. Although the subject is science fiction (no magical explanations), there's no reason why an author from any other discipline can't come up with a sci-fi idea, situation, character, problem or describe a gorgeous futuristic image coloured by their own interests.

The call is for: A short piece of fiction (500 to 1,000 words) on "A Moment in Sci-Fi". This can be published alongside a paragraph saying who you are, what you have done, your website and a link to the retail page for readers to buy your publications.

An example of the "Moment in Sci-Fi" style would be the scene in Return of the Jedi where Leia and an Ewok argue over a hat. It is just a short scene with some props, hinting at a wider universe you've created. The point is that readers can have a teaser of your imagination and writing style and that may encourage them to check you out. The more eye-catching the scene is, the more click-throughs you can attract.

Anyway, that's the opportunity, if you choose to message me. Three authors have been showcased so far, original thinking is encouraged, so take a look.

message 15: by Carole (new)

Nice. Faith!!!

message 16: by Prakash (new)

Prakash Sharma (pvsharma) | 105 comments Hi everyone!
I am a blogger, reviewer and Indie author.
I post author interviews too on my blog-
www.pvsharmablog.wordpress.com

message 17: by Carole (new)

That's great!!

message 18: by Connywithay (new)

Connywithay | 3 comments Hi Children's Books Authors!

My good friend, Carole Roman, suggest I post here.

I review books on my blog of 800+ followers at https://connywithay.wordpress.com & am always looking for quality books to review:

Here is my current criteria:
Children's books
Under 50 pages
No e-books
Well written *

* Never fear ~ if you need a proof reader or editor, I offer my services at a low price.

Also, I would be glad to run a free book contest on my blog since many of my followers are fellow book reviewers.

Let me know what you need & thanks for inviting me to be a part of this group!

message 19: by Rocio (new)

Rocio Monroy (rociomonroy) | 39 comments Would anybody like to review Paisley the Goat? is a picture book of 16 pages. Carole P. Roman already reviewed.

message 20: by Connywithay (new)

Connywithay | 3 comments Rocio - if it is in print, I will.
Private message me for my shipping address.
connywithay@gmail.com

Thanks,

message 21: by Carole (new)

Conny is a great reviewer! Take a look at her blog, she's reviewed and done giveaways with all of my books. Also, all of the people who won books write reviews about them. She has a terrific and active following.
I have paid Conny to proofread for me and she does an excellent job at affordable prices.

message 22: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1704 comments Connywithay wrote: "I review books on my blog of 800+ followers at https://connywithay.wordpress.com & am always looking for quality books to review..."

Is there any charge for reviews? I haven't written any children's books myself, but my wife and I run a small press (One Voice Press) and have published a few, with a couple more on the schedule for the coming year. The ones we currently have are for older children and are a bit long for your criteria (106 pages and 148 pages respectively), but the newer ones are for younger children and will be short.

message 23: by Erica (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 1490 comments Mod
Thank you for the offer, Conny! I sent you and email.

message 24: by Erica (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 1490 comments Mod
I will gladly review your book Rocio. Email me. :)

message 25: by Connywithay (last edited Nov 29, 2017 10:43AM) (new)

Connywithay | 3 comments Dale ~ no, there is no charge for a review (and should NEVER be). Sorry, I can only do shorter children's books under 50 pages at this time. Please email me at connywithay@gmail.com for my shipping address when the shorter ones are available.

Erica ~ thanks for your email. Looking forward to reviewing your books.

Carole ~ thanks for the opportunity here to help others!

message 26: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1704 comments Connywithay wrote: "Dale ~ no, there is no charge for a review (and should NEVER be). Sorry, I can only do shorter children's books under 50 pages at this time. Please email me at connywithay@gmail.com for my shipping..."

Very good, thanks. When we get something that fits your requirements, I'll be in touch . . . so long as I remember.

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread