The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 797 (797 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Jan 26, 2017 03:15PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments
Team Mark Watney

Team Members:
♦ Alison (Captain)
♦ Colleen (Co-captain)
♦ ✼Danielle✼
♦ Ashley Still
♦ Halli Vause
♦ Simmi
♦ Romina

♦ Ema

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Feb 12, 2017 01:42PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments
“The holes in your life are permanent. You have to grow around them, like tree roots around concrete; you mould yourself through the gaps.”
― Paula Hawkins, The Girl on the Train

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments r

message 4: by Alison (last edited Jan 29, 2017 06:38AM) (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 947 comments Team Shelves

Alison - Uno-2017
Avid Reader - Uno-2017
✼Danielle✼ - Uno
Ashley - Uno-2017
Halli - Uno-2017
Simmi - Uno-Challenge - 2017
Romina - Uno-Challenge

message 5: by Alison (last edited Jan 22, 2017 02:23AM) (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 947 comments Important

*Only books STARTED after the challenge begins can count. The challenge starts on Wednesday February 1, 2016 at 7pm AEDST (Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time). To see when this is in your time zone, use this countdown

*Books must be more than 100 pages in length. If it is a Childrens book or a graphic novel, we need to verify it is more than 25,000 words on arbookfind.com.

*Your finished books need to be on your Uno shelf AND marked as "read" for them to count.

* Please make notes of how your book may count. The more options we have the better! (Letters used in UNO are Z,O,T,H,F,I,V,E,S,N,K,P and of course if another team member has read the book before. Please friend our team members!)

* This is a social challenge, not a competitive one. We'd love to get points, but the main aim of the game is to have fun, read lots and get to know each other :)

message 6: by Alison (last edited Jan 22, 2017 02:54AM) (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 947 comments FEBRUARY CARDS

TRACKING SPREADSHEET
You can find a spreadsheet for tracking books read or planned here. If you can't update the sheet yourself you can post the details to the thread and I'll update. Please make sure to include the title, author and what cards it works for and why.

message 7: by Alison (last edited Apr 15, 2017 01:15AM) (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 947 comments Easter Mini Challenge

10 points for each task completed! (unless otherwise specified) Plus an extra 5 bonus points for each completed egg (i.e. you complete all the tasks given for that team egg)

These are the tasks:
1. Augustus Waters
Find the following 6 words in the text of 6 different books.
• Onion
• Peel
• Tree
• Flower
• Petal
• Juice

Words can only be found once, and only one word / book.

2. Becky Bloomwood
The traditional act of painting eggs is called ?

3. Bones
✲ Read a book set in Italy
✲ Read a book first published in 2011
✲ Read a book where the MC's goes to the zoo
✲ Read a book with a 7 and a 2 in the page count. (any combination)

4. Buttercup
❖ Read a book set in Germany
❖ Read a Book with chocolate on the cover
❖ Read a book that is 1st in a series

5. Elizabeth
Use the normal UNO rules to spell out basket
❖ B
❖ A
❖ S
❖ K
❖ E
❖ T

6. Eve Dallas
✤ Read a book with a decorator
✤ Read a book set in a small town
✤ Read a book with a character is obsessed with a holiday

7. Harry Dresden
❖ Read a book with over 500 000 ratings
❖ Read a book with over 10 000 reviews
❖ Read a book with an important character younger than 15

8. Heathcliff
✳ Read a book with a garden on the cover
✳ Read a book with 1 & 6 in the page count
✳ Read a book with an 8 & 0 in the page count

9. Hercule Point
Find the 10 differences between the pictures

10. Jack Torrance
❖ Read a book set in Australia
❖ Read a book with a hat on the cover
❖ Read a book with a parade

11. Kate Daniels
❖ Read a book where the MC works in the food industry
❖ Read a book set in France
❖ Read a book where all the letters in Haux can be found in the title

12. Liesel Meminger
✢ Read a book with a grey cover
✢ Read a book with witches
✢ Read a book where there is a fire

13. Mark Watney
What is the native name for Easter Island?

14. Mercy Thompson
Who held the first egg roll on the White House lawn and in what year?

15. Ove
❖ Read a book with water on the cover
❖ Read a book where a character goes swimming
❖ Read a book with Monday in the text or title

16. Peeta Mellark
❖ Read a book where the characters dance
❖ Read a book where a main character dies
❖ Read a book based during the 5th - 15th century

17. Rachel Watson
✾ Read a book where the genre on the main page in Goodreads is Crime
✾ Read a book where the genre on the main page in Goodreads is Thriller
✾ Read a book where the genre on the main page in Goodreads is Suspense

18. Robert Langdon
Use the usual UNO rules to spell out KITE
❖ K
❖ I
❖ T
❖ E

19. Ron Weasley
Which animal is used in Australia instead of a rabbit? Why?

20. Rose Hathaway
❖ Read a book where a funeral takes place
❖ Read a book with a vegetarian
❖ Read a book where the MC works in a church

21. Sybilla (Billie) Bridgerton
❖ Read a book with pots or pans on the cover
❖ Read a book where a character is a cook or a chef
❖ Read a book where the characters go to a cafe or restaurant

22. Ty & Zane
Where is the world's largest collection of Easter eggs and how many are there?

23. Will Traynor
On Easter, what do you have to do if you want good luck in the coming year?

24. Yvaine
❖ Give Easter gifts/greetings to the other teams. 1p / greeting. Each gift / greeting must be different to count.

message 8: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 947 comments Reserved

message 9: by Alison (last edited Jan 22, 2017 02:43AM) (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 947 comments Hi all and welcome to Team Mark Watney.

I'm Alison and I'll be your captain for this challenge. This is my third time taking part in Uno and Uno is actually the first ever team challenge I participated in so it'll probably always be my favourite.

A little bit about me for those who don't know me: I live in central Scotland where I work as an accountant, not particularly exciting but it pays the bills :) I have a horse called Charlie and a rescue cat called Harley who are both nothing but trouble.

Any spare time I get I usually spend reading. I'm not particularly keen on non fiction or historical fiction but I'll read pretty much anything else.

I'm really looking forward to getting to know you all and I hope you enjoy Uno. If you have any problems or questions please shout out or send me a PM.

You can also expect a friend request from me :D

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 1571 comments Hi All,

I'm Avid Reader and I'll be the co-captain for the challenge. This is also my third time playing UNO as well as my first team challenge ever and my favorite also.

I'm from the Midwestern USA where I am a student. I have a rescue dog named Jedi, yes that is after Star Wars.

I read and listen to books a lot. In most of my alone time. I like almost every kind of book, but have a soft spot for YA.

I will most likely send you a friend request. ;)

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 1571 comments Reserved

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 1571 comments Reserved

message 13: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 1068 comments Hello team!

I'm Danielle and I'm from Wales.

UNO last year was fun, so excited to play this one again.

Romance (in quite a few different sub genres) and Fantasy are my favourite genres that I love to read.

My shelf for this is - Uno

message 14: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 947 comments Hi Danielle. Great to have you on the team and thanks for providing shelf details. I'm stuck at work at the moment but will link everything up later.

So you like reading romance and fantasy books? I will definitely be looking for recommendations as they probably make up most of my reading :)

I actually just finished a Sarah Morgan at the weekend which I really enjoyed but I could do with finding some new authors.

message 15: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (halfbaked) | 24 comments Hello Teammates!

My name is Ashley and this is my first time playing UNO. I'm excited to play!

I am 28 and live in Nebraska, USA. I have two cats. One is an orange tabby cat named Frankie and the other is an overly fluffy black-gray tabby named Denali. They own our house and everything in it (or so they think).

I'll read practically anything but my favorites are historical fiction, fantasy, and humor. I also love cooking and if I'm not reading a book or on Pinterest, I'm usually in the kitchen. You can also find me browsing recipes online, in magazines, or in cookbooks.

I have a shelf named uno-2017. You'll more than likely get a friend request from me! I can't wait to play and get to know all of you. It's great to meet other readers from other places!

message 16: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 1068 comments Alison, I haven't read a Sarah Morgan book, although I think she's on my tbr list somewhere.

Welcome Ashley!

message 17: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 1068 comments From our team name, has anyone read The Martian by Andy Weir ?

I read it a couple of years ago and thought it was an excellent book. It had a surprising amount humour in it too, along with the science of it.

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 1571 comments ✼Danielle✼ wrote: "From our team name, has anyone read The Martian by Andy Weir?

I read it a couple of years ago and thought it was an excellent book. It had a surprising amount humour in it too, along with..."

I read part of it, it moved to slowly for me though. I loved the movie.

message 19: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 1068 comments I haven't seen the movie yet.

message 20: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 947 comments I haven't read it (someone told me it was really sciency) but I've seen the film.

I've actually watched it a few times (possibly every time I come across it)

message 21: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 947 comments Hi Ashley. Great to meet you.

2 cats?? One is more than enough for me to slave for :)

Is this your first team challenge or just your first time at Uno?

message 22: by Halli (last edited Jan 23, 2017 11:31AM) (new)

Halli | 129 comments Hey guys! I'm Halli. I'm 27 and I have 3 male cats (Norbert, Tuna & Mac) and a husband. Super outnumbered by guys.

This is my first time playing Uno, after getting addicted to team challenges through Wobble (shout to to Alison for being my captain there, and telling me about Uno!)

I mostly read YA & fantasy.

Can't wait to get started!

Oh sorry - and my shelf is Uno-2017

message 23: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 947 comments Halli wrote: "Hey guys! I'm Halli. I'm 27 and I have 3 male cats (Norbert, Tuna & Mac) and a husband. Super outnumbered by guys.

This is my first time playing Uno, after getting addicted to team challenges thr..."

Hey Halli, I wondered if it was you when I saw the name. Re united again :D

message 24: by Halli (new)

Halli | 129 comments Alison wrote: "Halli wrote: "Hey guys! I'm Halli. I'm 27 and I have 3 male cats (Norbert, Tuna & Mac) and a husband. Super outnumbered by guys.

This is my first time playing Uno, after getting addicted to team ..."

Yes!! What are the odds of you being my team captain again?! I'm not going to know what to do with myself if I ever join a team challenge and you're NOT my captain!

message 25: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 947 comments Halli wrote: "Alison wrote: "Halli wrote: "Hey guys! I'm Halli. I'm 27 and I have 3 male cats (Norbert, Tuna & Mac) and a husband. Super outnumbered by guys.

This is my first time playing Uno, after getting ad..."

You'll probably do a lot better. Although you wouldn't have my Scottish words and phrases :D

Was anyone else Wobbling?

message 26: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (last edited Jan 23, 2017 12:49PM) (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 1068 comments Yes, I was on team Dhole. It was super fun, but intense.

message 27: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 947 comments ✼Danielle✼ wrote: "Yes, I was on team Dhole. It was super fun, but intense."

You guys won didn't you? I was on Snow Leopard and yes, I absolutely loved it but I think I needed the couple of months to recover :)

message 28: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 1068 comments Yep, we did win. It did take some recovering from it lol. I plan on being more relaxed in team challenges this year, still reading what I want, but not going overboard.

message 29: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 947 comments All,

We're still waiting on Simmi and Ema to check in but if anyone is itching to get planning I've set up a tracking/planning sheet for us which you can find here

Feel free to chip in if you disagree but I think the best way to start is to just note the books we've read (or you could add the books you're planning to read) on the tracking sheet with the cards they fit for and slot them into the hands later. Usually books will fit multiple cards so once we have some books complete we can always move things around to where they fit best and see what gaps we have.

Just remember only books started after the 1st February can be used (I'm trying to finish all the books I'm midway through by then).

message 30: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 947 comments ✼Danielle✼ wrote: "Yep, we did win. It did take some recovering from it lol. I plan on being more relaxed in team challenges this year, still reading what I want, but not going overboard."

I've said the same. One of my new years reading resolutions was to ease up a bit on my reading but it's doubtful I'll stick to it :)

Thankfully there are no reading relays in Uno and it's a bit easier to read what you want.

message 31: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 1068 comments Those dreaded title relays lol

message 32: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 1068 comments I have a few books planned for Feb, so I'll add to planning sheet now in a minute.

message 33: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 1068 comments I've added 3 books to planning sheet, with the info I know now.

The Goal (Off-Campus, #4) by Elle Kennedy One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4) by Sarah J. Maas (the last two work for reverse cards)

message 34: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 947 comments ✼Danielle✼ wrote: "I've added 3 books to planning sheet, with the info I know now.

The Goal (Off-Campus, #4) by Elle KennedyOne Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene FrostQueen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4) by Sarah J. Maas (the last two work for ..."

Thanks Danielle

Yep, I've read and enjoyed both :) I love Cat and Bones and the early books in that series are the best.

Weirdly I seem to be reading the Off Campus series out of order. I read the third book first then read the first book last month. No doubt I'll get to the others at some point.

message 35: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (halfbaked) | 24 comments Alison wrote: "Hi Ashley. Great to meet you.

2 cats?? One is more than enough for me to slave for :)

Is this your first team challenge or just your first time at Uno?"

Well we started out with just one, Frankie, but he seemed lonely so we got him a friend. :) It seems to me that once you have decided you are a cat person, you end up with more than one, lol.

This is my first team challenge and first time playing UNO. It looked like a lot of fun so I thought I would join, get to know different people, and get to read a lot of books! :D

message 36: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 947 comments Unfortunately I live alone so I have to limit the number of cats I get. Don't want to be the mad cat lady :) I have been thinking about getting him a friend though.

Ooh so you're a team challenge newbie. Beware it's a slippery slope. I started on Uno three years ago and now I'm on the team challenge circuit. I love them. As you say, great way to meet people from all over and find some new books.

Uno's a great challenge to start with as it's fairly straightforward and lets you be flexible in your reading.

message 37: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (halfbaked) | 24 comments That sounds great! What is the team challenge circuit? I love reading but I find it hard to read regularly. I'm trying to get myself to read more so this should be good for me.

I have three books picked out. Girl Waits with Gun (Kopp Sisters, #1) by Amy Stewart I Was Here by Gayle Forman In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

I don't know if anyone has read any of those. I have had them sitting on my nightstand for awhile now. It's about time I get to them, lol.

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 1571 comments Ashley wrote: "That sounds great! What is the team challenge circuit? I love reading but I find it hard to read regularly. I'm trying to get myself to read more so this should be good for me.

I have three books..."

I have a copy of Girl waits with gun

message 39: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 947 comments There's no official team challenge circuit Ashley. You just tend to find a lot of the same people move from challenge to challenge.

Haven't read any of the three books you mention although was thinking of trying the Gayle Forman at some point. Will be interested to hear if you enjoy it.

message 40: by Simmi (new)

Simmi (51331) | 13 comments Hi, My name is Simmi, and this is my first time playing UNO, or really any team sport on Goodreads, so be patient with me while I figure things out :)

I will read just about anything, though I tend to head towards urban fantasy, YA fiction, romance, science fiction, fantasy, and a few more genres close to those more often than not.

message 41: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 947 comments Hi Simmi and welcome to the team. Don't worry about being new to team challenges you're not the only one and there are a few experienced members on the team who I'm sure will be happy to help and answer any questions you have.

Are you reading anything good just now?

message 42: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 1068 comments Welcome Simmi!

I think uno is a pretty good challenge for those playing their first team challenge. Be prepared that when you start, you won't stop :)

message 43: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 1068 comments Alison wrote: "Yep, I've read and enjoyed both :) I love Cat and Bones and the early books in that series are the best..."

Cat and Bones is a reread for me. I read the series first about 4 years ago and loved it. The first book was a BOM at another group, so decided to reread and loved revisiting Cat and Bones. So hoping to work my way through the series this year.

Alison wrote: "Weirdly I seem to be reading the Off Campus series out of order. I read the third book first then read the first book last month. No doubt I'll get to the others at some point.

I have to read book in series order. I've enjoyed the other 3, so looking forward to the 4th.

message 44: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 947 comments Last year was a bit of a Jeaniene Frost year for me. Think I worked my way through just about every book of hers. They're quite addictive. I actually had most on audio which was a big mistake as Bones often made me laugh out loud

message 45: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (halfbaked) | 24 comments Alison wrote: "✼Danielle✼ wrote: "I've added 3 books to planning sheet, with the info I know now.

The Goal (Off-Campus, #4) by Elle KennedyOne Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene FrostQueen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4) by Sarah J. Maas (the..."

I have read Queen of Shadows. It is a very good book. Actually the whole series is fantastic but that's just my opinion :)

message 46: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 1068 comments I've liked the first three book in the series very much.
I finished Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3) by Sarah J. Maas last week and really want to move on the book 4. So that will likely be the first book of February I read.

message 47: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (halfbaked) | 24 comments ✼Danielle✼ wrote: "I've liked the first three book in the series very much.
I finished Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3) by Sarah J. Maas last week and really want to move on the book 4. So that will likely be the first book of Febr..."

Awesome! Let me know what you think! I need to reread them. I got so caught up in them that I went through them way too fast, lol.

message 48: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (halfbaked) | 24 comments Hello Simmi!

This is my first time playing UNO and playing team challenge as well so you are definitely not the only one! I really like fantasy too. Fantasy books are the best ones to read to escape reality, lol. Are you reading any good ones right now? I'm always looking for a new and good fantasy book! :D

message 49: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 947 comments I love Throne of Glass it's a brilliant series. I can't wait for the final book but I think there's a wait as there's a Chaol novella to come first :(

Have you heard SJM is also writing a Catwoman story?

message 50: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (halfbaked) | 24 comments Halli wrote: "Hey guys! I'm Halli. I'm 27 and I have 3 male cats (Norbert, Tuna & Mac) and a husband. Super outnumbered by guys.

This is my first time playing Uno, after getting addicted to team challenges thr..."

Nice to meet you Halli!

I have two male cats and a husband so I know how you feel, lol. I like the names of your cats, especially Tuna.

What are some other team challenges you have been in? What one was/is your favorite?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 16