Stories by Me discussion

Ideas and Prompts > Character development/naming problems

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 21, 2017 12:09PM) (new)

I have a character who doesn't show up until the middle of the book, but is mentioned a lot before that. I'm wondering if she's one-dimensional or bland? Or if her name is too cheesy/obvious?

Her name is Mercy. She and her two sisters were born into a futuristic rebellion. While they wanted to fight, she preferred negotiation and peaceful methods. When she was thirteen, she was sent on a mission with a character who would later become the villain. This character left her for dead after an accident, but unbeknownst to the others, Mercy survived and started her own nonviolent organization/shelter known as the Haven.
She eventually rescues the two main characters, one of whom is her only surviving sister, Iris. (The other dies before this)
She's overjoyed to find her sister again, but soon realizes that she and Iris have both changed a lot. She is somewhat jealous that the other mc, a boy, understands her sister better than she does, but she tries her best to hide this and be kind.

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherlovely) | 5 comments ooooh, I'm already really interested in your story! Dystopian rebellion stuff is my jam!

Honestly, Mercy might be a tad obvious, but it doesn't bother me. I sort of like it.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks. :)