UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Writing Contests > The Writing Contest - redux Are you interested?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9110 comments Just wondering how much interest there would be in a new revived Writing Contest? We ran them for a few years before they kind of fizzled out - but I miss them! There was some good stuff produced...

For those of you who don't know - the object was to produce a short piece of writing (usually set to 100-200 words by the setter) in prose or poetry. The anonymous entries were then posted and a poll set up for voting. The winner basked in glory and set the subject for the next contest. Open to all and everyone!

Further reading here - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...
and also here - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

Shout out if you're at all interested :)

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita | 3758 comments After saying I haven't got time to give it a go Rosemary I'm just thinking that I'm off to Kay's in a couple of weeks so I might have a bit of time then, as we don't do a great deal but sit, relax and be together, not promising but I might have a go at it then. You will have to tell me what I have to do, I've only ever written a story for children and they were a very long time ago, wasn't much good anyway but it's something a bit different.

message 3: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments It was good fun, Rosie. I'm up for it, if you want to get it going again.

message 4: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments I used to enjoy them. Go for it!

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) I'll give it a go!

message 6: by Richard (new)

Richard Martinus | 646 comments I always enjoyed the contests, but the last couple struggled to attract both writers and voters. Perhaps the hiatus will have reignited enthusiasm.

I'd keep the length to at least 200 words, tho', so there's no conflict with drabbles.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22037 comments Alternatively encourage the drabble format?

message 8: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 3055 comments Definitely up for this :)

message 9: by Lexie (new)

Lexie Conyngham | 1375 comments Will try if I can fit it in!

message 10: by Pam (new)

Pam Baddeley | 3018 comments I'd like to have a go though I can't always think of things to write about for comps.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Jim wrote: "Alternatively encourage the drabble format?"

That's a thought. The killing of two birds?

Is Rosen struggling for drabbles for the newsletter? The our contest could help with that and there'd be a chance of the pieces having a wider audience?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Pam wrote: "I'd like to have a go though I can't always think of things to write about for comps."

Prompts are provided, which I think helps. Perhaps.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I've shoved this to the top of the group. Hope you don't mind, Rosemary. :)

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22037 comments Pam wrote: "I'd like to have a go though I can't always think of things to write about for comps."

How about "What I did on my holidays" :-)

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth White | 2067 comments As Lexie - ie time permitting.

I know the drabble format provides framework and discipline, but as this is supposed to be fun (I think) perhaps the word count could be relaxed somewhat eg 150 to say 300 words, and then anyone wanting to try their hand at the drabble formula still has the opportunity without it being limiting for everyone else?

message 16: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth White | 2067 comments Jim wrote: "Pam wrote: "I'd like to have a go though I can't always think of things to write about for comps."

How about "What I did on my holidays" :-)"

Didn't have any ; (

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9110 comments Thanks for all the feedback everyone - and for moving the thread Patti.

Yes it's supposed to be fun! I think we will let whoever decides the topic also decide the number of words (there would be a degree of slack) but I feel that a degree of stricture actually concentrates the mind better. So sometimes it may be a drabble, other times a bit longer. But never too long - it's a short, do it in your coffee break/lunch hour kind of thing...

There seems to be enough interest so I'll post a subject in a new thread tomorrow. And see who bites :)
*goes off to think up some fiendish topic*

message 18: by Richard (new)

Richard Martinus | 646 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "That's a thought. The killing of two birds?

Is Rosen struggling for drabbles for the newsletter? The our contest could help with that and ..."

Bookhippo appears to be getting a bit drabble-spammed at the moment - there are some 35 drabbles awaiting moderation. As most are by the same 3 or 4 authors, the people who normally vote to approve or reject seem to have gotten fed up and are simply ignoring them. Some have been sitting in the queue for the better part of a month. New submissions by other authors are getting picked more quickly.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Thanks for that, Richard.

message 20: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "Jim wrote: "Alternatively encourage the drabble format?"

That's a thought. The killing of two birds?

Is Rosen struggling for drabbles for the newsletter? The our contest could help with that and ..."

She prefers drabbles which hadn't been previously seen on the internet.

message 21: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments I must admit, I've given up modding recently. Been a bit too busy to wade through stuff which, for the most part, isn't actually a story.

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) Elizabeth wrote: "Jim wrote: "Pam wrote: "I'd like to have a go though I can't always think of things to write about for comps."

Didn't have any ; ("

That's way under wordage for all scenarios Elizabeth ;-)

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth White | 2067 comments T4bsF (Call me Flo) wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Jim wrote: "Pam wrote: "I'd like to have a go though I can't always think of things to write about for comps."

Didn't have any ; ("

T..."

Lol

message 24: by ✿Claire✿ (last edited Jan 23, 2017 02:22AM) (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 3055 comments Posted all of that in the wrong thread, sorry!! :)

message 25: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments I only just saw this thread.

How is your contest going?

Returning to drabbles, there are currently over 20 in the queue, but they're all by the same person, so we're after some more variation. I'd love more submissions, please. Although obviously not at the expense of one of your contests,

We're paying an editor now, so the problem of drabbles going unmoderated for long periods no longer applies.

However, we still welcome moderation input from other authors, as we want the drabble slot to remain governed by authors.

message 26: by Lexie (new)

Lexie Conyngham | 1375 comments Is that for BookHippo, Rosen?

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9110 comments That reminds me - time to set a new one. Will do so this evening. Got a good subject from last winner Lexie

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9110 comments Rosen, why don't you post in a new thread asking for drabbles? We've got a lot of new members who might be interested.

message 29: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Thanks, Rosemary.

I've found the old drabbles thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Please could a mod, or Kath (the original poster) please change the thread title to 'Drabbles Needed'.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Done!