What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Snake Pit (The Master of Hestviken, #2)
This topic is about The Snake Pit
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Literature - someone (child) bitten by a stoat? [s]

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nate (new)

Nate (xapgbac) | 7 comments Trying to identify a book I read within the last couple years where someone, I believe a child, was bitten by a stoat. I didn't know what a stoat was at the time so I had to look it up. The bite got infected but I think was not fatal? Is likely something written before 1950, possibly 19th century. Tried searching project gutenberg (AU, US), wikisource, as well as numerous queries on google, but turned up nothing. This is driving me crazy, any help would be appreciated!

message 2: by ``Laurie (new) - added it

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1040 comments https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7...

Hi Nate, I hope the above list is helpful.

message 3: by Nate (new)

Nate (xapgbac) | 7 comments definitely not anything here, this was a minor plot point, not a central theme. and its totally catalogued on my read shelf here, i just can't place it. i've gone over this list and the books IRL like five times, but still can't place it. argh!!

message 4: by ``Laurie (new) - added it

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1040 comments Was this a children or YA book?

message 5: by Nate (last edited Jan 20, 2017 07:36AM) (new)

Nate (xapgbac) | 7 comments no - would be literature of some kind, almost certainly written before 1950, possibly 19th century

message 6: by ``Laurie (new) - added it

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1040 comments Nate, I hope someone here will be able to help you find your book; good luck.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 3 comments Is it Awful End by Philip Ardagh? Looked it up on google. It's a children's book from 2000.

message 8: by Nate (new)

Nate (xapgbac) | 7 comments nope, like i said, not a childrens book, definitely literature, possibly 19th century

message 9: by ``Laurie (new) - added it

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1040 comments Do you remember what country was the setting for this book?
England? America?
Anything else you might remember about this book would be helpful.

message 10: by Nate (new)

Nate (xapgbac) | 7 comments i dont think its american (most of the US stuff i've read recently is faulkner and stoats dont live in mississippi, doesn't appear to be cather from quick google searches who would be my other guess), could be UK or continental europe. its somewhere on my "read" shelf

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Holland | 124 comments It's not Silver on the Tree, from what you've said, but that's what originally made ME look up stoats:
"Their voices were above Will's head; he was lying on his back in cool grass. It was a moment before he could recollect himself, and stop shaking. He heaved himself up on to his elbows, and saw Stephen and James standing a few paces away, their hands full of rods and fish and bait pails. They were staring at something in a kind-of wary fascination. Will craned his head round to the hot humming meadow, to see what held them. And he gasped, as his mind was half torn apart by a great wave of that same blind terror that had swamped him a moment before, a world and ten centuries and yet no more than a breath away.

Ten yards off in the grass, a small black animal was standing motionless, facing him: a lithe, lean animal perhaps a foot and a half long with a long tail and sinuous, curving back. It was like a stoat or a weasel and yet it was neither. Its sleek fur was pitch black from nose to tail; its unwinking black eyes were fixed unmistakably on Will. And from it he felt a pulsing ferocity of viciousness and evil so strong that his mind rebelled against believing it could exist."

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37777 comments Mod
Nate, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 13: by Nate (new)

Nate (xapgbac) | 7 comments i never found it and stopped looking for it, but if you have any suggestions (on my read shelf) i'd appreciate it!

message 14: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 15: by Nate (new)

Nate (xapgbac) | 7 comments yes, thats it, thank you so much!

message 16: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37777 comments Mod
You're welcome.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Snake Pit (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sigrid Undset (other topics)