On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft On Writing question

Need name of book please
Noellasue Noellasue Jan 18, 2017 02:52PM
In 1963-64, I read a book - an autobiography or memoir - by a woman who I believe was American. She married a king (or maybe a prince) from an Asian or Korean country. I don't know, maybe it was a middle-eastern country. Anyway, she described the land, the complex where she lived and her life during that marriage. I was so fascinated by her story, I read the book a couple of times before I moved away from St. Louis. (I found the book at the St. Louis Library downtown.)

I cannot remember the name of the book, though something like a lush green jungle, flowery land comes to mind as the name of the book. I do not remember her name or the name of the king. I keep thinking it was Sukarno, Suharto, something like that. But every time I google their names I don't come up with anything.

I know that Lisa Najeeb Halaby married King Hussein, but she was born in 1951 and it couldn't have been her. She would have been only 11 years old at the time. And the book was NOT based on The King and I movie. It was a TRUE story. I'm thinking that this would have taken place some time anywhere from 1910 to 1950.

If anyone can help, I sure would appreciate it. I've been trying to remember this book for several years now.

An American Women's Extraordinary Story
In the tiny country of Sikkim, high in the Himalaya Mountains of Asia, a royal wedding took place. After a three-hour Buddhist ceremony, Hope Cooke of New York City became the Crown Princess of Sikkim. (It all began in 1959 when Hope was visiting the city of Darjeeling in India. There she was introduced to Prince Palden Thondup Namgyal, the son of the ruler of neighboring Sikkim. Hope had been studying Eastern religions and cultures in school, and she was fascinated by the prince. They spent many days together. But then Hope had to return to the United States.)