What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Best from Fantasy and Science Fiction 8
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. SF short story: aliens arrive on earth, they are not smart, one sells Brooklyn Bridge several times, bishop outraged by alien animal sacrifice. [s]

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments Looking for a science fiction short story
in which the earth makes contact when aliens arrive. people start to realize that the aliens are not actually that smart after one guy sells the the Brooklyn Bridge several times and a Bishop is outraged when asked by ab alien as to where they can purchase an animal to sacrifice to the gods.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39280 comments Mod
When did you read it or about when was it published? Was it in an anthology?

Also you will help people looking for your short story if you add some more details to your header. If you are unable, a mod can do it for you.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments The short was definitely in an anthology. i remember seeing it before Borders closed so 2009-2010; although its original publication could have been earlier. Wish I did have more detail...

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Robert wrote: "Wish I did have more detail..."

You have enough details to add to a header, which I did.

message 5: by Nóinín (last edited Jan 20, 2017 12:38PM) (new)

Nóinín (fagurfifill) | 164 comments Definitely rings a bell with me, however, I'm not sure I actually read this story. Can I have listened to it as part of one of the Short Science Fiction Collections at LibriVox?
Trouble is, I haven't started bookshelving all my reads until just recently, so it may take a while to retrace it. Maybe in the meantime you'd also like to have a look into these anthologies yourself. A link to Etext is usually provided for each story.

message 6: by Lee (new)

Lee Kuivinen | 24 comments "Backwardness" by Poul Anderson. It's in THE BEST FROM FANTASY AND SCIENCE FICTION 8TH SERIES and SCHOOL AND SOCIETY THROUGH SCIENCE FICTION.

message 7: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2095 comments Lee wrote: ""Backwardness" by Poul Anderson. It's in THE BEST FROM FANTASY AND SCIENCE FICTION 8TH SERIES and SCHOOL AND SOCIETY THROUGH SCIENCE FICTION."

That sounds like it - this description of "Backwardness" http://poulandersonappreciation.blogs... mentions both the Brooklyn Bridge and the sacrifice of cattle.

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments Ok looks good. I'll check it out ASAP.

message 9: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 31 comments It's also in Worst Contact (anthology).

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Robert, was "Backwardness" your story or are you still looking?

message 11: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments Sorry, I was away on vacation. still catching up on email.Yes, this is solved

message 12: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35128 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Robert. Just to confirm, what's the title and author of your book?

message 13: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments Author is Poul Anderson and the short story was in "The Best from Fantasy and Science Fiction 8th Series" edited by Anthony Boucher. I am sure there are others. Thanks all!

message 14: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35128 comments Mod
Great. Thanks for the update, Robert. Here's the link - The Best from Fantasy and Science Fiction 8 by Anthony Boucher (editor).

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Fantastic.