Small Great Things Small Great Things discussion

Ending

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer I was wondering what others thought of the ending of this book.

Beverly Jean Loved the book but found the ending contrived, much too tidy, my only negative sbout the book. I know the Turk character was based on a real person but having Brit die snd him marrying up felt like it should have been fiurther developed to feel real. Or did you mean the ring Ruth is wearing?

Tori-Ilana Evans I wish the last few pages had not existed. I liked Turk in part, even if I completely disagreed with him and would hate the character at many points. I really enjoyed reading and understanding a character that was not all good. The end seemed unrealistic and was disappointing. I would have rather not had a six year preview at all. Turk was having some doubts in the book and I feel that was a much more realistic portrayal than having him completely change his opinions.

Siobhan I loved the ending. Losing the ones he loved(his son and later wife) helped change his opinion in life. Tragedy often causes people to see things differently. I'm glad Ruth was able to advance in her career despite being wrongly fired.

Shawneshoo Eshoo Remember what his friend Raine said? The Movement was something like 80% hate. That takes a lot of effort and must be exhausting! Its a learned behavior. It can be "unlearned."

Shawneshoo Eshoo I really wanted Ruth to recognize him though. And I would have liked a few more pages in the "6 years later" chapter. It was too brief. I do believe people can change and I'm glad Turk did because he really knew how to love. He just needed to let go of all the hate.

Dianne I agree. I wish Ruth would have recognized Turk. Also, I don't think it was realistic that Ruth gave up Labor and Delivery and opened a clinic. Ending was weak. However, I gave the book 5 stars because I think it's the best book I have read in 2017.

Could someone explain what happen to Brit? Seemed unclear. I know she tried to commit suicide and her mother was black. Then Turk is married to Deborah and has a 3 year old child. What am I missing?

message 8: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Cantor I wouod have liked a more detailed ending, what happened to edidon, why turk indented on divorcing brit prior to her ending her life. I was happy to see turk turn around and I was happy he wasno longer eacist, but I dont kniw why not geing racist meant he couldnt work and support his family and tge same with rain. I felt tge author was trying to say something by Turk having a complete role reversal, chanhing his last name, his wife being the provider. I feel a person can change but should not lose who they are. I guess tge reason ruth didnt recognize him, the author was saying he was a whole new person.

Lorna Hill I can't remember what happened in the end but I don't like books that 'do what they say on the tin' I was very predictable I can remember. Ruth ended up loosing the trial and the good character dies?

Please help

Lorna

Hadas Here's my full review. I didn't really enjoy the ending. I thought it was sort of unbelievable.

Not sure how I feel about Ruth not recognizing Turk. I think not having her do so was a surer way out for Picoult. I mean, no short dialogue would have been enough to sum things up between the two of them so maybe it was better off this way.

https://bookbugsbite.wordpress.com/20...

Mirkat Just because you are literally asking a question, does not mean you need to check off "this is a discussion question." As you can see, this format yields a hot mess where responses are not threaded as in a normal discussion, but instead ordered according to upvoting. Would love to actually discuss this topic, but this format is untenable. OP, you have the option of fixing this by editing your original post and deselecting that box.

message 12: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer I unchecked the box. I thought that asking a question would result in a discussion, that is why I called it a discussion -
I was not aware that this would be problematic.

Mirkat Jennifer wrote: "I unchecked the box. I thought that asking a question would result in a discussion, that is why I called it a discussion -I was not aware that this would be problematic."

I think that happens to a lot of people, because the way the choice is presented is misleading.... I've participated in some threads over at the "Goodreads Feedback" group, where many users have requested that either GR eliminate the "question" format or at least create a tag and allow users to filter them out. Also would be great if GR were more clear about what the format does. Unfortunately, the mods have been unsupportive.

In any event, I liked the ending. One might argue it was overly optimistic, but there were hints in Turk's narrative that such a change might be possible under certain circumstances. And there are people in real life who have made a transformation like that. After the emotional rollercoaster of the narrative, I was pleased with the hopeful ending.

Diane Zollo Dianne wrote: "I agree. I wish Ruth would have recognized Turk. Also, I don't think it was realistic that Ruth gave up Labor and Delivery and opened a clinic. Ending was weak. However, I gave the book 5 stars bec..."

The book says Bri overdosed on pills and alcohol.

Gemma I really enjoyed the ending but I do agree that the ending was very unrealistic. Lovely all the same and I thoroughly enjoyed.

Nicole.kabalen I don’t understand why Ruth’s last name changed?

Mirkat Nicole.kabalen wrote: "I don’t understand why Ruth’s last name changed?"

Remarriage. In the final scene, Davis notices that Ruth is wearing a wedding band and engagement ring.