Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > What was the first "real" book you read?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments What was the first "real" book you read? Now, I know "real" is arguable...but I mean a book that no one read to you, and that maybe was longer than a picture book. Like what my kids call a "chapter book", I suppose. Do you remember?

I don't. I remember the book was a mystery that involved spoons and that I checked the book out of the Immaculate Conception library. The book was rather boring, though. Thank God I found science fiction not long after.

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments The first book I remember picking out for myself and reading was Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder, lol.

message 3: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) It was probably one of those Encyclopedia Brown books, although those were short stories from what I remember.

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Either the Ramona Quimby books or Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret.

message 5: by Morgan (last edited Jul 30, 2009 06:43AM) (new)

Morgan (neimanmarxist) | 32 comments Aww, chapter books. I cried the first time my daughter brought a book home from the school library and told me it was a chapter book. Kids grow up way too fast!

I think my first "real" book was either a Babysitter's Club book or something by Judy Blume (would love to do a reread on some JB, just because I remember my adolescence revolving around her books).

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori I'm sure there were others before, but I'm thinking Nancy Drew. Or The Wind in the Willows. Or Charlotte's Web.

message 7: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 158 comments Charlotte's Web is the first "real" book that I remember reading on my own. I was 7 I believe...

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I remember reading the Amelia Bedelia books. Loved those!

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
My mom is very proud to tell me that I read all of Charlotte's Web before I started Kindergarten.

I remember reading a book called Silver Eyes and one called Tiger's Eye quite early. And the little House on the Prairie series.

message 10: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (neimanmarxist) | 32 comments Sally wrote: "My mom is very proud to tell me that I read all of Charlotte's Web before I started Kindergarten.

I remember reading a book called Silver Eyes and one called Tiger's Eye quite early. And the li..."

I think Tiger Eyes and Watership Down were the first books to make me cry (I cry easily I guess).

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

message 12: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I can't remember the first real book but I know the first non YA book I read was Chesapeake A Novel. This will tell you how bored I was the summer before 9th grade when I moved to VA and didn't know anyone!

message 13: by Gus (last edited Jul 31, 2009 06:49AM) (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Xaviera Hollander's The Happy Hooker....

Oh, that was last week.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Blaze and Thunderbolt, unless that's still considered a picture book. In that case, probably The Black Stallion. It was all horse books all the time.

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments oh, Gus

message 16: by Heidi (last edited Jul 31, 2009 09:48AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments That was the first dirty movie I saw. :) Lynn Redgrave was such a dirty bird!

message 17: by Wingedbeaver (new)

Wingedbeaver | 80 comments I read The Hobbit in first grade... does it get any nerdier?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Reading Star Trek novels, maybe? Not that I did that...

message 19: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "Reading Star Trek novels, maybe? Not that I did that..."

While in your Star Trek uniform, Jacks?

message 20: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Jul 31, 2009 11:01AM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments It's possible I may have done that...

But not when I was a 1st grader, of course. I hadn't discovered Star Trek yet.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.