RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

Reading-Challenges > RMFAO 2017 Series Challenge

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heena (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2222 comments Mod
Hello all the members of RMFAO,

We all love reading series. Don't we? But a number of times we start reading a series, but due to some or the other reason end up not finishing them. If you abandon the series because you don't like it then it is not a problem, but if you love a series and leave it without finishing all the books in it due to some reason, then it is most unfortunate.

So this challenge, RMFAO 2017 Series Challenge, is here to give you an opportunity to complete those series! You can even start with a fresh series and try to complete it within the year.

description

There are absolutely no rules for this challenge. All you have to do is complete as many series as you can.

We can use this discussion board to discuss the series we are planning to read. Don't forget to share book recommendations,

Happy reading

message 2: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3580 comments Mod
Here are five series I would like to complete this year. If any new books are published in 2017, I will include them only if my library obtains them in time.

MOBILE LIBRARY series by Ian Sansom
Mobile Library
#3 The Delegates' Choice
#4 The Bad Book Affair

HENRIE O series by Carolyn Hart
#5 Death on the River Walk
#6 Resort to Murder
#7 Set Sail for Murder

CARLOTTA CARLYLE series by Linda Barnes
#11 Heart of the World
#12 Lie Down with the Devil

MIDNIGHT, TEXAS series by Charlaine Harris
#2 Day Shift
#3 Night Shift

ROYAL SPYNESS series by Rhys Bowen
#8 Queen of Hearts
#9 Malice at the Palace
#10 Crowned and Dangerous

message 3: by Dagny (new)

There is another series I would like to mention. A recent discovery are the Gaslight Mysteries by Victoria Thompson which feature midwife Sarah Brandt. They are set in New York City in the early 1900s.

There are currently nineteen books in the series and I have read the first eight, leaving a total of eleven. It might be that I end up reading all eleven in 2017, but I'm not including them for my Challenge for fear of getting burned out on them. I want to read them as the mood strikes me and savor them.

message 4: by Athira (new)

Athira Nair | 9 comments I never saw this thread. This is my absolute favourite challenge. I have been trying to finish a number of series, but never could. I want to finish The Lord of the Rings and Chronicles of Narnia. These are the first ones i want to complete. :)

message 5: by Dagny (new)

Wonderful, Athira! Glad you found the thread. Good luck.

message 6: by Heena (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2222 comments Mod
I'm really looking forward to completing the Clifton Chronicles by Jeffrey Archer this year (or at least reading all the released parts.)

message 7: by Sudev (new)

Sudev | 5 comments Guys do u know any series that is finished and is too gripping or unputdownabl it can be mystery thriller fantasy or paranormal or horror but no piece of life and no romance plss

message 8: by Dagny (new)

Sudev, most of the series I read are mysteries and most are still on-going.

Since you seem to gravitate more toward SF/fantasy/paranormal, I can recommend Ransom Riggs' trilogy: Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children. That is also the title of the first book. I wouldn't say it was unputdownable for me, but I enjoyed it and was anxious to see if or how everything worked out.

message 9: by Husain (new)

Husain Thanawala | 13 comments Sudev,
I recommend reading 'Wayward Pines Trilogy' by Blake Crouch. I found all three books to be equally gripping

message 10: by Sudev (new)

Sudev | 5 comments Thnx Dagny and Hussain I will look into both of those books thnx a lot

message 11: by Dagny (new)

Finally! One down out of twelve on my list.
Queen of Hearts

message 12: by Dagny (new)

My second one: The Delegates' Choice

message 13: by Dagny (new)

Finished Death on the River Walk (Henrie O #5) by Carolyn Hart. Fifth in the series and the first of three in the Henrie O series that I needed to catch up on.

message 14: by Dagny (new)

Finished Heart of the World (Carlotta Carlyle #11) by Linda Barnes. This is #4 of 12 on the list, so pretty much on track.

message 15: by Dagny (new)

Finished The Bad Book Affair (Mobile Library #4) by Ian Sansom
That's five of the twelve books listed.

message 16: by Dagny (new)

Finished Day Shift (Midnight, Texas #2) by Charlaine Harris
This one makes six of twelve - halfway.

message 17: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 2260 comments Mod
Dagny,
Have you ever read any of the Stone Barrington series by Stuart Woods? I was curious if it's worth reading.

message 18: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Dagny,
Have you ever read any of the Stone Barrington series by Stuart Woods? I was curious if it's worth reading."

No, I haven't. The author's name is so familiar. I looked at the list of his series, but haven't read any of them.

There was some series I was going to ask you about, but of course I can't think of it now, lol.

message 19: by Dagny (new)

Remembered. Cheryl, have you or your mom read Kathy Reichs' Temperance Brennan series?

I don't watch the tv show, but got the second book (library didn't have first one) and so far, so good. Like the writing. But she's not in her lab yet and that's when I lost interest in Cornwell's series

message 20: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: "Remembered. Cheryl, have you or your mom read Kathy Reichs' Temperance Brennan series?"

Dagny,
My mom reads that series, and she likes it better than the Cornwell series.

message 21: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "My mom reads that series, and she likes it better than the Cornwell series."

Great to hear. Thanks, Cheryl.

message 22: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl, thought I'd update you on my reading of Death Du Jour, one of Kathy Reichs' Temperance Brennan books. Definitely like your mom. I plan on continuing the series. Tempe doesn't spend too much time in the lab. There were a couple of 'lab reports' which I just skipped to the end and read the conclusion. Then there was a rather long passage where she was explaining a procedure to her college-student daughter. About 2/3 of the way through is when I hit the can't put the book down point.

message 23: by Cheryl (new)

Great to hear, Dagny!

message 24: by Dagny (new)

Finished Resort to Murder (Henrie O #6) by Carolyn Hart

message 25: by Dagny (new)

Set Sail for Murder (Henrie O #7) by Carolyn Hart
This completes Carolyn Hart's Henrie O series

Forgot to post this one earlier this month:
Night Shift (Midnight, Texas #3) by Charlaine Harris
This completes Charlaine Harris' Midnight, Texas series

message 26: by Dagny (new)

Finished Malice at the Palace (Royal Spyness #9) by Rhys Bowen

message 27: by Dagny (new)

Finished the Carlotta Caryle series, a wonderful wrap-up to the series.

message 28: by Dagny (new)

Finished Crowned and Dangerous (Her Royal Spyness #10) by Rhys Bowen

This wraps up this Challenge for me. Twelve books listed and twelve done!