Pick-a-Shelf discussion

ScatterShelves (2017) > Challenge Instructions

Comments (showing 1-50 of 172) (172 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Tien (last edited Dec 11, 2016 01:50PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 6402 comments Mod
description

message 2: by Tien (last edited Dec 11, 2016 02:19PM) (new)

Adapted from Scattegories where objective of game is to name objects within a set of categories, given an initial letter, within a time limit.

ScatterShelves

The Objective:
To read books where the initial letter of Shelf and / or word/item of Category match the given set of letters.

*excluding A, An, The

The Period:
January 1, 2017 - December 31, 2017
BUT a grace of one (1) additional month for December letters only (ie. December letters can be read up til January 31, 2018)

The List:
There is ONE (1) List only for the whole challenge consisting 5 Shelves and 7 Categories:

a. shelf 1
b. shelf 2
c. shelf 3
d. shelf 4
e. shelf 5
f. first word in title (excluding a, an, the)
g. any word in title but NOT first (excluding a, an, the)
h. author's first name
i. author's last name
j. item on cover
k. any word in Series name / Subtitle (excl. a, an, the, novel, trilogy, series, chronicles, memoir, biography, autobiography)
l. name of character*

*It must be obvious from book page that there is a character in the book with such a name (can be nickname etc as long as it's the name mentioned on book page); can be either within description (blurb) or part of GR metadata.

Shelves:
You may determine which shelves to read as long as the initial letter of that shelf match a letter from the month’s set. You may read from 2 shelves with the same initial letter from the month's set as long as they are completely different shelves, eg. "adult" & "America".

A shelf can NOT be repeated (ie. you can only use ‘adult-fiction’ once). It is okay for a book to be on the ‘adult-fiction’ shelf even if you are actually claiming on a different shelf/category but you can’t claim ‘adult-fiction’ twice even if the letter ‘a’ is found on different months’ sets

We would encourage you to read from as many different shelves as you can. If shelves are similarly named (eg. adult, adult-fiction, adult-fic, etc), try to use only one of them as the intents behind these shelves are identical.

Categories:
Initial letter of required word or name must match one of the month's set.

Most categories are self-explanatory so the only clarification will be in relation to "j. item on cover".

Item on cover can be anything you wish however it must be item specific. For example:

Not acceptable:
body part in describing an arm
pink flowers in describing roses

Acceptable:
belly button
peony

We want to encourage some creativity with this particular category. We're going to have some fun with this and we'll announce what this will be later on in the year.

The Letters:
A monthly set of letters will be announced, which consist of 5 random letters, on 15th day of previous month. For example, if today is February 15, March’s set of letters will be announced

You may read immediately upon announcement of Letters EXCEPT for January letters which you may only start reading at official game starting period, January 1, 2017.

There will be repeats of letters throughout the year (5 letters per month and only 26 letters in the alphabet). You may use same word/name for the Categories but you cannot repeat shelves (refer to Shelves section for further details).

The month's Letters do not have to be completed within that month.

Crossovers:
Books may crossover:

1. Between months and categories but cannot crossover on same category (that is book for Jan cover can't crossover with Oct cover but can crossover with Jan author's first name, Feb shelf, Oct Subtitle, etc). And just to clarify, no crossovers between shelves

2. Book may only be used to crossover if it has not been read (that is if a book for Jan shelf can crossover with March cover but you've read it in Feb, before March letters have been announced, then you cannot use this book; in other words, no backdating)

3. There is no limitation on the number of times a book may be used to crossover as long as (1) & (2) are met

Skips:
1 Skip can be earned by reading 2 books:
-with 500+ pages; OR
-which have been translated from the original language they were first published in to the language you are reading it*; OR
-non-fiction

*If you are reading Pride and Prejudice in English, you can't claim this point because the book was written originally in English even if the book has been translated to 100+ other languages.

If 1 book is 500+ pages & non-fiction, you can only claim one (1) of these points (not both) for that 1 book.

You can claim a Skip with any combination of above requirements (eg. 1 500+ pages book & 1 NF book, etc)

1 Skip can be applied to either 1 Shelf OR 1 Category in any month with no limitation of the number of Skips for that month.

There is a maximum of 10 Skips for the whole challenge.

Housekeeping:
Please create your own planning discussion thread where you can keep track of your plans & reads.

There is a reporting thread where you can post completed months.

The Finish:
You will have read books for required shelves and categories which will be a minimum of 50 books (this is counting no crossover with shelves less 10 skips).

Clarification:
There is no page number limitation;

Honesty system (as always);

Have FUN (don't let this scare you in any way, do as much or as little as you like -plan as MUCH as you'd love to then read only as you can manage whilst still having loads of fun)

message 3: by Tien (last edited Dec 11, 2016 02:19PM) (new)

Example of Crossover for 1 book

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens can crossover:

Month 1: letter: D
a. Shelf: Drama
f. first word in title: David
g. any word in title but NOT first (excluding a, an, the)
h. author's first name
i. author's last name: Dickens
j. item on cover
k. any word in Series name / Subtitle (excl. a, an, the, novel, trilogy, series, chronicles, memoir, biography, autobiography)
l. name of character: David Copperfield

Month 2: letter: C
No shelf crossover

f. first word in title (excluding a, an, the)
g. any word in title but NOT first (excluding a, an, the): Copperfield
h. author's first name: Charles
i. author's last name
j. item on cover: Candle David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
l. name of character: (have used this category for D)

That's taken pretty much ALL the categories except for Series name/Subtitle since this book does not have either. As it's crossover-ed ALL available categories for this book, you can't use it to crossover any where else even if the letter fits (eg. J for jug for item on cover as this category has already been crossed off for this book)

message 4: by Tien (new)

reserved

message 5: by Tien (new)

reserved

message 6: by Tien (last edited Dec 11, 2016 02:09PM) (new)

If you've previously played ScatterShelves in 2014, this edition is a bit different so please take your time in reviewing the instructions. There are a number of changes made so it seems to be a little less impossible than the 2014 edition ;)

I'm going to post the January letters early (in a few minutes) because this week is going to be busy for me plus then I can have an example of the month's plan for you to see.

message 7: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 362 comments This sounds like a really cool challenge. I just have some questions as I've never played scattergories before. Is this the place or will there be a Q & A thread?

message 8: by Tien (new)

Sassafrass wrote: "This sounds like a really cool challenge. I just have some questions as I've never played scattergories before. Is this the place or will there be a Q & A thread?"

Just post your Qs here, Sassafrass :)

message 9: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 362 comments Thanks. So, Ok, I hope I'm understanding this correctly.

So, each month we get letters
and with those letters we try to fill up the card as much as possible?

Also, you say And just to clarify, no crossovers between shelves. What does that mean? Does that mean that you can't use the same book for A - adult, and B - BDSM in the same month? Or that you can't use A-adult in Jan and A-adult in February using the same book?

I hope that makes sense.

message 10: by Tien (last edited Dec 11, 2016 02:49PM) (new)

Sassafrass wrote: "So, each month we get letters
and with those letters we try to fill up the card as much as possible?

Yes, that's exactly right.

Also, you say And just to clarify, no crossovers between shelves. What does that mean? Does that mean that you can't use the same book for A - adult, and B - BDSM in the same month?

Yes to this one too. Each book claimed for a Shelf will have to be unique.

Or that you can't use A-adult in Jan and A-adult in February using the same book?"

Whilst you may use 'Adult' shelf more than once, we'd like to encourage you to read from as many different shelves as you can. After all, that is one of our purpose here in this group... to read as widely as possible

message 11: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 362 comments Ok, I got it! Thanks. I think I'm going to enjoy this one!

message 12: by Plethora (last edited Dec 11, 2016 02:58PM) (new)

Plethora (Bookworm_R) | 15 comments I'm new to this as well.
So from January's letters - S, G, R, P, I
We select 5 shelves that are different and start with these letters.
The book we select from that shelf, does it also need to include the letters? I guess if we used to fulfill multiple categories, but if it was just used for that category?

message 13: by Tien (last edited Dec 11, 2016 03:13PM) (new)

A Bookworm Reading (Plethora) wrote: "I'm new to this as well.
So from January's letters - S, G, R, P, I
We select 5 shelves that are different and start with these letters.
The book we select from that shelf, does it also need to in..."

Welcome to the challenge :)

The book you select from those shelves do not have to include the letters, if it's only for the shelves.

I'm posting my plan for January up in the January thread now so you can see it as an example.

message 14: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (Bookworm_R) | 15 comments Ok, that helped.

So ideally, you would have read 5 books, one for each shelf. Those 5 books can be used for the 7 categories.

If they don't you might be required to read another random book to fill out the categories as long as it fits the monthly letters.

message 15: by Tien (new)

yep, you've got it ;)

message 16: by Tien (new)

Btw, for the old hands... I seem to recall that there was a spreadsheet or maybe that was a different challenge?

In any case, I've built a new one just to keep track on what's still to be read that I can still use to crossover a category. If anyone's interested, I'll try to upload on google doc.

message 17: by Karin (new)

Karin | 538 comments Okay, this is the pick-a-shelf challenge I think I can do for 2017 (I can only do one).

message 18: by Tien (new)

Karin wrote: "Okay, this is the pick-a-shelf challenge I think I can do for 2017 (I can only do one)."

That's okay, Karin :) Only do the challenges you can manage like, I think is the key!

I'm always signing up for impossible-to-complete challenges so that probably wasn't the right phrase, lol

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) | 859 comments Loved this challenge last time. I read and enjoyed books that I would never have discovered any other way.

I must say that this version is definitely simpler.
Thanks Tien :0)

message 20: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 1259 comments This looks like a fun game!

message 21: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 454 comments I am going to join in and hope someone can explain it all to me

message 22: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 551 comments A Bookworm Reading (Plethora) wrote: "Ok, that helped.

So ideally, you would have read 5 books, one for each shelf. Those 5 books can be used for the 7 categories.

If they don't you might be required to read another random book to f..."

So do your categories have to be filled out with your 5 shelves books or can you choose a different book to fill out the categories?

message 23: by Susan (new)

Susan | 2840 comments Mod
If I read Ms. Marvel, Vol 1 by G Willow Wilson in January, do you have a preference for what "level" of shelves I use? The most popular one is listed as "Sequential Art > Graphic Novels." So I could use Sequential Art for S or Graphic Novels for G. Is one level preferable?

message 24: by Susan (new)

Does (g) include the strict title only, or subtitle as well?

message 25: by Tien (new)

Lauren wrote: "Loved this challenge last time. I read and enjoyed books that I would never have discovered any other way.

I must say that this version is definitely simpler.
Thanks Tien :0)"

lol I remember just how hard it was to try & crossover books so we won't have to read so much ha ha ha... the minimum books to read this time around is less than half of last time! And um, I have to confess that I still have 2 books to finish last Scattershelves :O I had planned to finish them off before we start this new edition but... failed :(

message 26: by Tien (last edited Dec 12, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Lusie wrote: "This looks like a fun game!"

Thanks, Lusie! It was so much fun the last time we played so I thought we could do it again though a simpler version so to be more inclusive :p

message 27: by Tien (new)

Marie wrote: "I am going to join in and hope someone can explain it all to me"

Let me know if you have any specific questions, Marie :)

message 28: by Tien (new)

LaurLa wrote: "So do your categories have to be filled out with your 5 shelves books or can you choose a different book to fill out the categories? "

No, you can choose different books to fill out categories. But the option to crossover between shelf and categories are available, if you want to utilise it.

message 29: by Tien (new)

Susan wrote: "If I read Ms. Marvel, Vol 1 by G Willow Wilson in January, do you have a preference for what "level" of shelves I use? The most popular one is listed as "Sequential Art > Graphic No..."

It doesn't matter which level, Susan, so either of those shelves are fine to use.

message 30: by Tien (new)

Susan wrote: "Does (g) include the strict title only, or subtitle as well?"

Category G is strictly title.
Subtitle is included in category K.

message 31: by Susan (new)

Tien wrote: "Susan wrote: "Does (g) include the strict title only, or subtitle as well?"

Category G is strictly title.
Subtitle is included in category K."

Oh, oops! I read that as though it meant subtitle of the series -- in fact, I wondered about how many series had subtitles. That also makes the exceptions make more sense. LOL

message 32: by Susan (new)

Regarding skips: Can the books that earn a skip be books we've used to fulfill categories or shelves in previous months? Or do they have to be entirely separate books read just to earn the skip?

message 33: by Bea (last edited Dec 12, 2016 01:52PM) (new)

Bea | 2946 comments Mod
Tien wrote: "And um, I have to confess that I still have 2 books to finish last Scattershelves :O I had planned to finish them off before we start this new edition but... failed :("

I have 6 left. But I'm reading two and have two more checked out of the library, so I will come close to finishing the 2014 version. Of course, it only took me two years! Hopefully, I will do better this time.

message 34: by Tien (new)

Susan wrote: "Regarding skips: Can the books that earn a skip be books we've used to fulfill categories or shelves in previous months? Or do they have to be entirely separate books read just to earn the skip?"

Oh no, only books you've read for Scattershelves which fit the conditions for earning Skips.

message 35: by Tien (new)

Bea wrote: "Hopefully, I will do better this time. "

You will! It's 50 books min this year in comparison to 128 books last time ;p

message 36: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 551 comments Alright... I'm going to give this a shot...

message 37: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1298 comments Tien, a question on this instruction:
"You may determine which shelves to read as long as the initial letter of that shelf match a letter from the month’s set. You may read from 2 shelves with the same initial letter from the month's set as long as they are completely different shelves, eg. "adult" & "America"."

Is it correct then, using January as an example, that my shelves could use the letters s,s,r,p,i and wouldn't necessarily need to use the g?

message 38: by Tien (new)

LynnB wrote: "Is it correct then, using January as an example, that my shelves could use the letters s,s,r,p,i and wouldn't necessarily need to use the g? "

yes, absolutely!

message 39: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1298 comments Tien wrote: "LynnB wrote: "Is it correct then, using January as an example, that my shelves could use the letters s,s,r,p,i and wouldn't necessarily need to use the g? "

yes, absolutely!"

Oh, yay!! I didn't catch it until my second reading of the rules. That will make it easier.

message 40: by Cecile (new)

Cecile Grudzinski | 181 comments Okay before I decide, I will sit wither rules again and read through because first go around I didn't understand at all. Haha!

message 41: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 1259 comments That's my plan too Cecile. I didn't understand all rules either.

message 42: by Charity (new)

Charity | 474 comments I'm in. Will work on my planning for Jan.

message 43: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2946 comments Mod
Lusie and Cecile, feel free to ask questions if something puzzles you. Otherwise, I suggest looking at other people's threads for hints on organization and just getting started with selecting your shelves and books. If you want your plan reviewed by Tien, there is even a thread for that!

message 44: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 1259 comments Thanks Bea!

message 45: by Cecile (new)

Cecile Grudzinski | 181 comments Thank you Bea.

message 46: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 551 comments One thing I forgot to ask about - are there requirements on the shelves? A certain number, main page, first page, etc?

message 47: by Tien (new)

LaurLa wrote: "One thing I forgot to ask about - are there requirements on the shelves? A certain number, main page, first page, etc?"

Nope. As long as the book has been shelved there (even by 1 user) is all you need.

message 48: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Olzendam (Phlamboyant) | 46 comments Is "shelves" a catchall term that includes tags and/or genres? (For instance, would I be correct in browsing genres to find appropriate shelves for the month?)

message 49: by Tien (last edited Dec 15, 2016 03:05PM) (new)

Ashley wrote: "Is "shelves" a catchall term that includes tags and/or genres? (For instance, would I be correct in browsing genres to find appropriate shelves for the month?)"

The answer is yes and no, Ashley.

Genres are how GR 'classify' books (not sure if classify is the right word to use but probably the closest) but for 'shelves', the data is generated from users' bookshelves.

You may have noticed that you can create your own named shelves on your own profile/bookshelf. GR collate these data and so while most of the time you have regularly named shelves (eg. fiction, young adult, etc), sometime you'd also have the strange and wonderful ones like rags-to-riches, austenesque, organ-harvesting, depravity, etc. You wouldn't find these later ones under Genres.

The best way would be to look at books you'd want to read and see whether there are any shelves the books are already on that you could fit into the challenge. To do this, you just click on "see top shelves..." found just under the Genre on the book's page.

Or if you'd like to explore the shelves: Top Shelves

Also, for our challenge, the shelf does not have to be noted on the book's main page. It could be on page 4 of the book's list of shelves. For example, All the Birds, Singing and you need a shelf that starts with G. On page 4, right bottom corner, you can see 1 user has shelved this book under 'girls-that-rock'. So you can use this book for a G shelf.

Hoping this example makes sense :)

message 50: by Ariel (new)

Ariel (yesalmsot) | 78 comments I'm going to try to choose 5 unique books each month (based on shelves for that month's letters) that I can use to fulfill the categories for that month and forget about attempting any crossovers... haha

Five books, plus the Pick-a-Shelf selection, seems really challenging for me, but not impossible. Should be fun! :)

« previous 1 3 4