EMS and Emergency Providers discussion

What we read....

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kent (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:43AM) (new)

Kent | 3 comments Mod
Is it necessary, after viewing and participating in trauma and tragedy shift after shift, to read books along that same line?

Or should we read different genre's in order to ...."unwind??"

message 2: by Kent (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:45AM) (new)

Kent | 3 comments Mod
I find, after all the study, after all the lectures...it is nice to sit down to a book that does not deal with Emergency Medicine. A good western perhaps.

But, I do like to read other, job related books as well.

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (Skirt) | 2 comments I like to read something that sucks me in and has nothing to do with emergencies while I am at work. After working 911 for several years I found it a good way to relax and stay focused after a serious call especially when you still have 16 hours left on your shift! I will read anything funny, maybe a romantic or historical and even some fantasy. Pretty much anything fiction.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (Skirt) | 2 comments Some of my fellow dispatchers started a book club which I joined. Currently we are reading The Pillars of the Earth. It is really good and very long but was due back at the library before I was finished. Right now at work I am reading The History of Love byt Nicole Krauss and just finished a biography called Lucky Child.

message 5: by Herman (new)

Herman Kappes | 3 comments After looking at the dates I'm not sure that anything I post will matter, but I read all kinds of media. I tend to reserve work related stuff for study time but every now and then I find one that's a good read.

message 6: by John (new)

John Kenny (John_Kenny) | 2 comments Hi folks, I'm new to the group. Thought I'd chime in though it doesn't look like a real active group. Anyway, I don't tend to read a lot of emergency services related stuff, but every now and then I do run into some wonderful, heart felt descriptions of what we do/how we live. The first was probably the classic, Dennis Smith's "Report From Engine Co. 82". The most recent is Russell Wangersky's "Burning Down the House". If you haven't read the latter, I strongly recommend it. It is searingly honest and lyrically beautiful.

message 7: by Hope (new)

Hope Bennett (hopebennett) | 3 comments Depending on what I am looking for in my read I read off topic and on topic. Entertainment I try to stay away from the job. But if I'm looking for guidance or something to learn about with the fire service I pick up a book and read it. When I first got on the job I read The Fire Inside by Steve Delsohn. A book of short stories of what people have experienced on the job. It really helped open my eyes as to what I could be exposed to on any given day.

message 8: by Herman (new)

Herman Kappes | 3 comments Since my last comment I have changed my outlook a bit. I picked up Report from Engine 82 by Dennis smith and it became my favorite. Now I add in work related books to my casual reading. I use manuals for study time, but there are so many great fire service books that aren't written as textbooks.

message 9: by E.R. (last edited Nov 04, 2015 10:05AM) (new)

E.R. Yatscoff (focstay) | 5 comments If any of you do enjoy a thriller with firefighters as characters check out FINAL RESPONSE. I'm the first Canadian firefighter to write a firefighter novel in Canada. No cops, lawyers, or PIs. It's getting 4-1/2 stars on amazon.com E.R. Yatscoff
http://www.amazon.com/Final-Response-...

message 10: by E.R. (new)

E.R. Yatscoff (focstay) | 5 comments FINAL RESPONSE by E.R. Yatscoff
I am the 1st Canadian firefighter to write a firefighter thriller. Actually my first was OLD FLAMES but was only available as an eBook. It will be out soon in paperback via Bookkus Publishing. FINAL RESPONSE is set in Edmonton during the Polar Vortex. It's getting 4 stars on Amazon.com Final Response by E.R. Yatscoff

message 11: by Tom (new)

Tom Alessi | 1 comments Hey E.R. Yatscoff - following you on Twitter now too. I was happy to come across this group. I just added my law enforcement memoir "And They Found No Witches" to the group reading list. I would really love to hear what you all think. It's a very personal story about my colleagues and I going head to head with the US Justice Department and how it affected the rest of our lives. We were unlawfully indicted and the court case that followed was long, draining, and emotional. Hope you will check it out! Thanks

message 12: by E.R. (new)

E.R. Yatscoff (focstay) | 5 comments Tom wrote: "Hey E.R. Yatscoff - following you on Twitter now too. I was happy to come across this group. I just added my law enforcement memoir "And They Found No Witches" to the group reading list. I would re..."

Tom wrote: "Hey E.R. Yatscoff - following you on Twitter now too. I was happy to come across this group. I just added my law enforcement memoir "And They Found No Witches" to the group reading list. I would re..."

Your title sounds great. I'll download the Kindle and give you a review on Goodreads and Amazon. Hope you'll reciprocate. I really need reviews. I have two more firefighter novels coming out and presently have 6 boy's adventure novels. Alrighty then.

message 13: by E.R. (last edited Feb 06, 2016 05:55AM) (new)

E.R. Yatscoff (focstay) | 5 comments I read your story on Kindle during my stay here in Portugal and just reviewed it on Amazon and Goodreads. You are a good writer and should try fiction, too, as you have enough ammo for it in this story. The key is stringing together separate events. Look for a writers group to keep up your muse. I invite you to read my story, too, and there will be two the firefighter suspense stories out this year via my publisher. I'd like to use you as a resource in the future, you know, questions about guns and evidence stuff, for any of my future novels. I had little investigative experience as a firefighter, because my dept. was only tasked with finding the point of origin on a fire inv. and then we handed it off to detectives if there was evidence of arson. As a captain I had to preserve suspicious ares in a structure. Anyhow, good luck as a writer and hope to be hearing from you.

message 14: by Steven (new)

Steven Dewald (redoak) | 1 comments I can appreciate Kent's first post. I was in law enforcement for more than 30 years and didn't want to read about that in my free time. My favorite way to unwind was reading, "The Land Remembers" by Ben Logan. It is a story about a family on a farm and all the life events that took place there. It is written in short story format so I could read a chapter or two and then turn off the lights to fall asleep. Finding a way to deal with the stresses of our professions is important. On suggestion to fellow members of this group is to consider writing a book of short stories from your careers when you retire. I wrote "Under a Poacher's Moon - Stories of a Wisconsin Game Warden." I found many people who are not avid readers like the short stories better than a novel. I have sold many more copies of my short story books than my novels.