Austenesque Lovers TBR Pile Reading Challenge 2017 discussion

Assorted & Sundry Matters > Group Read- March

Comments (showing 1-50 of 97) (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (SophiaRose) | 911 comments Mod
Our first group read of the year is still to be determined. If you have a suggestion for a book (preferably an older one that would be sitting on the TBR pile a while), please leave your suggestion for consideration.

message 2: by Sophia (last edited Dec 30, 2016 09:39PM) (new)

I've been giving it some thought and wanted to propose for consideration Jane Austen: Her Life and Letters for the first group read. It's written by family descendants. I was thinking since this is a big anniversary year being 200 years since her death in July 1817 that it would be an interesting read for us.

It also has the distinction of being available for free in one edition and didn't seem to be a completed read for many in our group. :)

Here's the link if you wish to check it out: Jane Austen, Her Life and Letters A Family Record by William Austen-Leighhttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 3: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 11 comments Ooh! Nice choice. I've had this on my TBR list for a while now, and I look forward to reading it with others.

message 4: by Sophia (new)

Why thank you! :)

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary | 709 comments Great suggestion Sophia!

message 6: by Sophia (new)

Thanks, Mary!

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (AmandaBookworm) | 4 comments I would love to read that! I don't have that particular book on my TBR, but it sounds interesting.

message 8: by ana (new)

ana darcy (anadarcy) | 26 comments This one has been for some time on my TBR list, so it will be great.
I have found it on amazon UK and it is just 49p on kindle https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jane-Austen-...

message 9: by Sophia (new)

Thanks for letting me know, Amanda and Ana!

message 10: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (SheilaLMajczan) | 1301 comments Sophia wrote: "I've been giving it some thought and wanted to propose for consideration Jane Austen: Her Life and Letters for the first group read. It's written by family descendants. I was thinking since this is..."

I have this and the two other books on my kindle - just have to find time to read them.

message 11: by Sophia (new)

"Finding the time to read the books on my Kindle" sounds very familiar, Sheila. LOL

message 12: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (Regency_Reader) | 306 comments Interesting choice, Sophia! In its Victorian revisionist view of Jane Austen, it definitely qualifies as Austenesque, not Austen. It will go nicely with another one I’m trying to get my hands on this year, R. Austen Leigh’s Austen Papers. (Turns out, in that collection of papers it’s revealed that Eliza Hancock de Feuillide Austen had a hideout near the Surrey town I’m writing about—how much fun would she be to add as a character?)

message 13: by Anji (last edited Dec 31, 2016 02:44PM) (new)

Anji | 275 comments One of my books for 2016 was My Dear Cassandra - a selection of Jane's letters to her sister. It'll be interesting to see how this one compares. Count me in, Sophia.

message 14: by Sophia (new)

Abigail wrote: "Interesting choice, Sophia! In its Victorian revisionist view of Jane Austen, it definitely qualifies as Austenesque, not Austen. It will go nicely with another one I’m trying to get my hands on th..."

Now that is neat background information, Abigail. I thought it would be fun to see how a generation removed saw her even within her own family. I hope you find Austen Papers so you can read up on Cousin Eliza's Hideaway. :)

message 15: by Sophia (new)

Anji wrote: "One of my books for 2016 was My Dear Cassandra - a selection of Jane's letters to her sister. It'll be interesting to see how this one compares. Count me in, Sophia."

I didn't know about that book, Anji, (I'll be looking that one up) but yes this does seem to be in the same neighborhood of books.

message 16: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 297 comments Sophia wrote: "I've been giving it some thought and wanted to propose for consideration Jane Austen: Her Life and Letters for the first group read. It's written by family descendants. I was thinking since this is..."<
/i>
Great idea!!! Always interesting to compare the "family" view vs the outside the family views!

message 17: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 297 comments Abigail wrote: "Interesting choice, Sophia! In its Victorian revisionist view of Jane Austen, it definitely qualifies as Austenesque, not Austen. It will go nicely with another one I’m trying to get my hands on th..."

Yes to Eliza! I think Jane Odiwe has included her to good effect in a few stories. Secrets in Snow( found via Sophia!) did too. On the film side, Becoming Jane!!

message 18: by Sophia (new)

Apparently, I need to read more Jane Odiwe books because I love encountering Cousin Eliza, Kirk. :)

And yes, the family angle was a big draw to this book for me.

message 19: by Anji (new)

Anji | 275 comments Sophia wrote: "Anji wrote: "One of my books for 2016 was My Dear Cassandra - a selection of Jane's letters to her sister. It'll be interesting to see how this one compares. Count me in, Sophia."

I..."

I was lucky to find it Sophia, as I think it may be out of print now. Certain online retailers may have second hand copies, which is what mine was. Found it in a second hand bookshop near where I was working one day last year. It's illustrated with contemporary pictures and has a commentary by the compiler of the selection.

message 20: by Sophia (new)

Oh, so it was a treasure find. I noticed when I looked it up that it was not going to be easy to grab. I'll keep an eye out.

message 21: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 62 comments I don't think I have this. not sure where I can find a copy

message 22: by Sophia (new)

Here's the link to Amazon for the free version, Patricia: https://www.amazon.com/Jane-Austen-Le...

It might be at your library, too.

message 23: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 313 comments Ooh I'm definitely in. I don't have it but have no trouble down loading it. Should be interesting.

message 24: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 313 comments Ok. Downloaded. Ready to go!!

message 25: by Sophia (new)

Fantastic, glad you could grab it and join in, Teresa!

message 26: by Mary (new)

Mary | 709 comments Sophia,sounds good to be!! Count me in! Am looking forward to it!

message 27: by Sophia (new)

We'll all find out together. :) Glad you're in, Mary!

message 28: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 62 comments I think I have a different edition of this. is there way to find out??

message 29: by Sophia (new)

Can you put the GoodReads link here for your edition, Patricia? We can check and see if it's the same or a close enough edition to work.

message 30: by Lenora (new)

Lenora Robinson | 174 comments Sophia wrote: "Our first group read of the year is still to be determined. If you have a suggestion for a book (preferably an older one that would be sitting on the TBR pile a while), please leave your suggestion..."

I think that is a great idea had already picked up this book

message 31: by Sophia (new)

Super, Lenora! Hopefully it will be a good one. :)

message 32: by Barb (new)

Barb (barblibrarian1) | 77 comments Thanks, Sophia, for the great idea. I didn't have it on my TBR, but I agree, it sounds like something I would want to read eventually. Great to read it with a group.

message 33: by Sophia (new)

You're welcome, Barb!

It probably won't be easy going for me so I'll be glad to have the group to give me some positive peer pressure. :)

message 34: by Carmen8094 (new)

Carmen8094 | 30 comments Good choice, Sophia, I'm in!
I found the book translated in Italian by Giuseppe Ierolli.
Here is the link if someone needs it: http://www.jausten.it/jamfjamesedward...

message 35: by Sophia (new)

Yay, glad you can join us, Carmen!

message 36: by Anna (new)

Anna (annaeccentric) | 105 comments I've had this one downloaded for a while, so I'd love to join in. How does the group read work? Do we read a certain portion each week and discuss, or do we read it all at once and discuss on a certain day? I just want to make sure I don't miss it!

message 37: by Sophia (new)

Howdy, Anna!

Glad you can join in. We pretty much read it on our own throughout the month. I will post up a few times with discussion starts near the beginning and middle of the month which are optional. Mostly, readers jump in with their own comments or questions as they go. It's pretty low key and just a fun way for folks to share a reading experience together.

message 38: by Anna (new)

Anna (annaeccentric) | 105 comments Sophia wrote: "Howdy, Anna!

Glad you can join in. We pretty much read it on our own throughout the month. I will post up a few times with discussion starts near the beginning and middle of the month which are op..."

Sounds great, thanks!

message 39: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 62 comments so excited for this!

message 40: by Sophia (new)

Hopefully, it will be a good one for all of us. :) Glad you're in, Patricia!

message 41: by Sophia (new)

First Discussion Starter

What are your impressions before starting the book? Does it matter that it is written by her relations or not really? If you've started, what's your early thoughts on it?

Thanks for joining our group read. This is all very casual so you can respond to my questions, discuss something that strikes you, or ask questions of your own. I won't be able to start for a few days so I'll have to wait a bit to respond to my own questions. Happy Reading! :)

message 42: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 313 comments It'll be a few days until I can start too. Doesn't bother me really who wrote it. Will be interesting to see how they approach it.

message 43: by Sophia (new)

Teresa wrote: "It'll be a few days until I can start too. Doesn't bother me really who wrote it. Will be interesting to see how they approach it."

I'm curious about having nephews write about her compared to other scholars I've read, but I agree, Teresa, about it not mattering. It's Austen I probably would read it anyway.

message 44: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 313 comments Exactly Sophia!! I'd read the back of a postage stamp if it had something about Jane on it. We're obsessed with her.

message 45: by Sophia (new)

Yep! Obsessed. :)

message 46: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (Regency_Reader) | 306 comments For me, it does matter (a lot) that it is written by her relations—especially her nineteenth-century relations. They were quite a conservative family and were influenced by Victorian mores to the extreme. So starting right after JA’s death (see her tombstone inscription and the biographical notice in the edition of Persuasion and Northanger Abbey), there was a concerted effort to create an image of Jane Austen that was sanitized. Emphasis on her piety and domesticity, making her more genteel than she really was, deflecting attention from her wicked sense of humor. I feel that the relations tried to cover up the real Jane Austen for decades, and she would have been pretty mad about it had she been around!

message 47: by Sophia (new)

Abigail wrote: "For me, it does matter (a lot) that it is written by her relations—especially her nineteenth-century relations. They were quite a conservative family and were influenced by Victorian mores to the e..."

Oho, and now I am even more curious to read it. You're right, she wouldn't want anyone whitewashing her or tweaking things to put a different spin on it.
Thanks, Abigail!

message 48: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 313 comments Talking about her tombstone inscription, I wish I had the words of a writer to try to convey how I felt standing at the foot of her grave, reading the epitaph and touching the stone. I never ever thought I'd actually see it. I'm not much of a traveler and it was a surprise visit which made it all the more emotional.

message 49: by Sophia (new)

I imagine it was rather surreal. Neat surprise.

message 50: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 313 comments Yes. Courtesy of my lovely daughter.

« previous 1

Austenesque Lovers TBR Pile Reading Challenge 2017

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Jane Austen, Her Life and Letters: A Family Record (other topics)
My Dear Cassandra (other topics)