Devon Book Club discussion

Archive > The TBR (To Be Read) List!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2677 comments Mod
Not quite currently reading as they are on my list but reading @Cleo_Bannister ‘s weekly blog this morning my eye was taken by her article on her TBR list. She was inviting others to talk about their list, using the same structure she does. So, here goes

How do you keep track of your TBR pile?
I was maintaining two lists – one on Goodreads and one on Word but, looking at them today, I decided to amalgamate them into an Excel spreadsheet. I have separate columns for books that I hold in hard copy, ones that I have on Kindle and ones that are just books I intend to read at some point but don’t yet have a copy of. And, of course, a column for Devon authors.

Is your TBR mostly print or e-book?

A mixture.
I have 190 books on my list (oh dear!)
Of these, 29 are on Kindle

A book that’s been on your TBR the longest?

I am shocked to say that Don Quixote has been there since December 2012 – but it will be read in 2016 – that is a promise.
Incidentally, Cleo – I read The Room two years ago and really enjoyed it. Go for It!

A book you recently added to your TBR?

A Strangeness in My Mind

A book on your TBR strictly because of its beautiful cover?
I don’t have one just because of its cover but I do love the cover on Tan Twan Engs The Garden of Evening Mists

A book on your TBR that you never plan on reading?
Not that I own – in updating my list I did delete a couple that I couldn’t realise why I had added them and, on looking again, they didn’t really appeal – must have been someone else’s recommendation.

A book on your TBR that everyone has read but you?

Ironically – it would also be All the Light We Cannot See – I’ll get to it eventually

A book on your TBR that everyone recommends to you?

Not really but, perhaps Elena Ferrante’s The Story of a New Name
I read the first and loved it bit have not yet got to this one – aim to do so over Xmas.

A book on your TBR that you’re dying to read?

The Gift of Rain

How many books are in your Goodreads TBR shelf?

Well, 190 books that are on my reading list, of which I have
39 in hard copy
29 on Kindle
And the others I borrow from the library or buy them as I go

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2677 comments Mod
I'd love to hear about your lists

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Percival | 14 comments Ian wrote: "I'd love to hear about your lists"

Crikey, Ian. You ARE organised! Excel sheets??? I'm nowhere near as ordered.
The nice thing about physical books is they sit there looking at you which means they usually get attention first. I've got Rachel Abbott's Kill Me Again (DCI Tom Douglas, #5) by Rachel Abbott to read next. I picked up a signed copy from her at her talk in Bristol last weekend.
My Kindle does tend to collect samples which I go to now and again to read through and make decisions as to what I'll buy or borrow (I have a separate "available in Devon libraries" folder so I know which are on the library catalogue). So I suppose that acts as a TBR list for me, as well as the ones I collect on Goodreads from reading other people's reviews. Don't know how many on that currently. Or on Kindle, either, for that matter.
Christmas is a good time to go through everything, though, and wave a wanna-read list in front of Father Christmas. Birthdays work the same. Fortunately my husband and I like similar authors so we both get to read each other's choices.
So, thinking about it, there are lists all over the place!

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2677 comments Mod
That's a polite way of saying "what an anorak" haha.

I collated my lists into one place to get a bit more order into the chaos - I expect it will descend back there pretty quickly though!

Ian

message 5: by DrMama (last edited Nov 10, 2016 03:10AM) (new)

DrMama | 301 comments I use the 'cloud' thingummy on amazon to make lists of any books that grab my attention. It's slightly bonkers, in that it is too easy, but it is all readily sorted once you have chosen some subject areas. However, I do add things too easily ... so I've currently got about 2K books listed. Over half are for my research, but I also have lists for poetry, grammar, politics, etc ... as well as works/novels from different countries as they become available in English. In addition, I have a 'possible presents' list. I share this with friends (and they also do it) so we can always get things the other(s) want ... tho' not necessarily from amazon. It's easy and efficient, & I can make a quick note of something when I read a positive, trustworthy review (eg Michael Orthofer), or if a pal, Reading Group, etc. makes a good suggestion. I'll never read them all ... but I'll never be short of a good read!

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2677 comments Mod
DrMama wrote: "I use the 'cloud' thingummy on amazon to make lists of any books that grab my attention. It's slightly bonkers, in that it is too easy, but it is all readily sorted once you have chosen some subjec..."

2000! Blimey - at my reading rate it would take me 50 years

message 7: by DrMama (new)

DrMama | 301 comments Yes, me too! As I said, bonkers.
However, the interesting thing I've noticed, is ... whenever something else about a work or an author crops up in reviews, articles, discussions, etc. then I do remember that I've already made a note of the book/person. And it is noticing this ... 'drip, drip' of info, that has led me to some of my 10 star reads! So if 100s, or 1000s of works/authors get ignored, it's still more than worth it. I suppose the 'Possible Presents' list is my best guide. NB Also, many of the books will never be read as they are out of print and/or only in libraries in the States, etc, while many may just be for checking a few facts via inter-library loan (which I love about Devon Libraries) or on visits to the BL, etc.

message 8: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2677 comments Mod
DrMama wrote: "Yes, me too! As I said, bonkers.
However, the interesting thing I've noticed, is ... whenever something else about a work or an author crops up in reviews, articles, discussions, etc. then I do re..."

That's very true - funny how certain books gradually come to the surface.