Horror Aficionados discussion

Book Recommendations > Recommendation

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt Rosenthal (u2boy) | 9 comments Hi All, I read a ton of thrillers and horror. My goal is to find either short stories or a novel that has creepy eerie descriptions and characters that are in the same category as Tales From The Darkside or The Twilight Zone. Where strange things happen. This usually involves a character getting what they deserve. It is so hard to find. I have read all of Richard Matheson, all Stephen King short stories, Books of Blood, and some Joe Hill shorts. I was thinking Lovecraft but he seems to strange. I am just looking for really good creepy eerie situations. I don't read zombie stuff or vampires. I tried Head Full of Ghosts, and Bird Box. So let down. Any great short story list or novel that has what I am looking for? I loved Full Dark, No Stars, Everything's Eventual, and The Damnation Game (Clive Barker). I loved in Cujo where Stephen King describes the thing in the kid's closet creeping closer to the bed. That is the stuff I am looking for. Not slasher/zombie/vampire/apocolypse.

message 2: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Puyo | 64 comments I hate sounding like a salesman, so I wont. Check out the reviews and see if it's for you. Anthony Puyo Presents Misery Theater. Good reading, Matt!

Mixofsunandcloud | 539 comments Have you tried Edgar Allan Poe?

message 4: by Micah (last edited Oct 30, 2016 06:02PM) (new)

Micah Castle (micahcastle) | 1644 comments Although you said Lovecraft seems too strange for you, most of his work sounds like you'd enjoy. Not all his stories are heavy with men twisting down the bottomless hole of madness, or ancient gods and creature. Maybe try reading his short stories like The Thing on the Doorstep or The Outsider

Links:

The Thing on the Doorstep: http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/t...

The Outsider:
http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/...