World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > Question: the better way to publish a digital book with voice

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fanta (last edited Oct 25, 2016 05:27AM) (new)

Fanta Miste | 6 comments I am thinking about how to publish a digital book with voice like a text for learners of a language. For example, the sentences and the play button like this:

I got hungry.
お腹が減りました。
▶[button]

When readers click the button, they hear the voice in Japanese.
At first I thought I create the e-book and publish at KDP, but heard from KDP support that KDP does not support an e-book with voice, video, etc. And I searched and found that not all e-book reader seems to support multimedia. So e-book (epub) could be inappropriate for my purpose.

Is there any better way to publish a digital book with voice?

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments What a great idea! The only thing i can think of is to provide each reader who purchases the book with a link to a free PDF with the media clips inserted. basically they would get a duplicate copy of the book but with media clips in the second version.

message 3: by Fanta (new)

Fanta Miste | 6 comments Tara wrote: "What a great idea! The only thing i can think of is to provide each reader who purchases the book with a link to a free PDF with the media clips inserted. basically they would get a duplicate copy ..."

PDF sounds good. Thank you for your idea!
I am thinking about a link to a PDF and Paypal as payment system. I wonder if there is any distributor that allows a PDF with media clips.

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Fanta wrote: "Tara wrote: "What a great idea! The only thing i can think of is to provide each reader who purchases the book with a link to a free PDF with the media clips inserted. basically they would get a du..."

If they have purchased your book they won't be happy about having to pay extra for the sound PDF. You probably should build it into the cost and provide a one-time use coupon code for the PDF. You would provide the link in the ebook.

Or...

You could publish your ebook and include phonetic pronunciation guides in parentheses for each word. Then you offer the PDF with the media clips for an additional $0.99. Put the offer in the front of the book and provide a coupon code for redemption along with the purchase link.

Or...

You can publish the ebook with phonetic pronunciations and offer the media PDF free to everyone who signs up to your mailing list. Make the download link available after a double opt-in sign-up.

These two free services will prove invaluable:
http://www.mailmunch.com
http://www.easydigitaldownloads.com

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Does mailmunch offer the 1-time discount coupon code?

Tara: you're a goldmine. I would've never thought of these ideas.
I'm going to add these to the author resources spreadsheet.

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Alex G wrote: "Does mailmunch offer the 1-time discount coupon code?

Tara: you're a goldmine. I would've never thought of these ideas.
I'm going to add these to the author resources spreadsheet."

Thanks, Alex :)
The coupon code is generated by Easy Digital Downloads (EDD). You can set the code to one-time use, two-time use etc or you can make it ininite. The code is applied in checkout. mailmunch is great because it lets you generate the actual pop-up opt-in or fixed form opt-in. Once you've designed it from the customizable templeate you assign a URL to the post-subscribe behavior. Once they've completed the opt-in and submitted it they will be taken to your landing page which will contain the download button or link. I prefer a double opt-in process wherein a welcome email is generated that requires the new subscriber to confirm his intentions. The 'confirm' link in the email will funnel him to a 'Success/Welcome" landing page that contains the download link or button.

I also forgot to mention Mail Chimp which is amazing. It works beautifully with Wordpress and is fully integrated with Mail Munch. It is free up to your first 2K subscribers and is highly customizable. My newsletter, for example, has my site header as its header as well because branding consistency is important. I'm a big fan of automation :)

http://www.mailchimp.com

message 7: by Fanta (last edited Oct 25, 2016 03:46PM) (new)

Fanta Miste | 6 comments Tara wrote: "If they have purchased your book they won't be happy about having to pay extra for the sound PDF. You probably should build it into the cost and provide a one-time use coupon code for the PDF. You would provide the link in the ebook."

I misunderstood. You meant the ebook and the additional free PDF, right? I thought about just selling the sound PDF because it was enough on its own. I thought that if they have the PDF with media clips, they do not need the ebook. My book will have many sounds, which I think are as important as its text and not appendices. I would like to publish a digital content that has texts and sounds as the main.
Do people prefer an ebook to a PDF?

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Ah - now I understand. Sorry I went off on a tangent lol. I can't say with certainty what people prefer but for ereaders an ebook can't be beat. PDFs can be downloaded into ereaders of course but I can't speak to the consumer trust level. If you sell sound clips you will certainly have to sell PDFs unless there are exceptions I do not know about. In that case you will need a sound email list and savvy marketing skills to get the word out. Have you considered just producing your title as an audiobook?

message 10: by Mehreen (new)

Mehreen Ahmed (mehreen2) | 1911 comments There are lots of language software programs that do that. Teach languages. It shouldn't be so hard on ebooks.

message 11: by Fanta (new)

Fanta Miste | 6 comments Tara wrote: "In that case you will need a sound email list and savvy marketing skills to get the word out. Have you considered just producing your title as an audiobook?

http://www.paulsalvette.com/2012/02/e... "

What is a sound email list?
My understanding is that an audiobook has only sounds, no texts. I expect that people get to be able to read Japanese sentences through my book. It is difficult without sounds, so I need both texts and sounds.

Mehreen wrote: "There are lots of language software programs that do that. Teach languages. It shouldn't be so hard on ebooks."

I will search and refer to such programs. Thank you!

message 12: by Alex (last edited Oct 26, 2016 11:20AM) (new)

Alex (asato) Fanta wrote: "Tara wrote: "In that case you will need a sound email list and savvy marketing skills to get the word out. Have you considered just producing your title as an audiobook?

http://www.paulsalvette.co..."

if you don't want to have two PDFs--one w/media clips and one w/o--like Tara was suggesting, then you might try Apple iAuthor:

https://www.apple.com/ibooks-author/g...

I just did a duckduckgo search, so i don't know all of the details, such as whether you're limited to the iTunes store--but even if you distribute to the iphone only, you still have a huge market.

it does look like Amazon's textbook creator supports embedding audio files:

https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A...

The UI language (menu items and dialog box text) wouldn't be in Japanese, though--but i'd assume that the actual text of the book could be in whatever script the book's source was in (even a mix of Japanese and English).